Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What film have you just watched?

Kirkz

LE
The Old Guard on Netflix, usual sort of stuff about a bunch of immortal mercenaries but it past a couple of hours.

I watched Borat again on Amazon video, I just love the non pc things in it, give the bloody snowflakes a heart attack if they watched it, that's not a bad idea, MAKE them watch it then follow on with blazing Saddles

I've just finished watching this:

Quite touching in its way; wouldn't Sir Michael Caine's character be just the feminists' favourite today? I do like the technique of talking directly to the audience.

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
I ve just watched on my tele a you tube movie called on the lines of the horse ceremony of the dakota 36 .

Its about a memorial ride by Native Indians to a site where 38 + 2 Indians were hanged in 1862 by the yanks . Its a great film very emotional give it a spin you will be mellowed by it .

The Old Guard on Netflix, usual sort of stuff about a bunch of immortal mercenaries but it past a couple of hours.
Decent if you switch your brain off (which you should, cause it's entertainment?)

Just watched Green Book on Prime. Decent light weight feel good film, based on something that happened. Viggo Mortenson is very watchable.

Slime

LE
I’ve just watched:

The Martian war.

This is a film that could be very worth watching if you liked films like:
Plan 9 from outer space, or Granny.

It is such a shockingly poor film that it could become a cult film at some stage.

I think that if a group of amateur drama students were asked to make a woke film to appeal to snowflakes that they wouldn’t be able to come up with something as woke or snow flakey as The Martian war.

The idea of the film revolves around people living on Mars and needing to battle a large storm. This of course ignores the fact that storms on Mars would be common, but who cares when the film also had:

People wearing flip up welding masks as space helmets.
A lesbian love interest angle, featuring BAME a girl who has two dads (see the film for the scene, but spoiler alert, no sex or anything like that)..........so two women in prominent roles.
A BAME female lead character.
A black female starring role character with a black deputy.
Poor ‘TV film quality’ picture.
LOTS of everyday objects used as props, with lots of camera cutting away to hide the fact that electrical connections didn’t exist, but magically appeared in the next shot.
Very dodgy CGI, especially distance shots of crowds running, but sliding along the ground faster than their running steps.
EMF ‘emitters’ that were cookie/protein powder jars.
LOTS of yellow/black sticky tape stuck on just about everything.
’space helmets’ with electrical insulation tape stuck on them in stripes to differentiate between characters........not even on straight and started to come off towards the end of the film.
A lead male character who touched or removed his spectacles every few minutes in order to show he was thinking, or a tense moment.
ID patches on uniforms simply sewn on with loose tacking stiches.
A scene in a Martian complex that was more obviously a US industrial site than anything else, complete with a stars and stripes flag hung from a crane.
CGI winds strong enough to blow people away to their death, but not a lightweight camera tripod on the floor next to them.
Various ‘sports body armour’ as part of spacesuits, along with motorcycle boots.

The plot and acting are dire, but spotting the yellow/black tape or household items used as props made the film worthwhile :)

Slime

LE

Kirkz

LE
Decent if you switch your brain off (which you should, cause it's entertainment?)

Just watched Green Book on Prime. Decent light weight feel good film, based on something that happened. Viggo Mortenson is very watchable.
If it had been shite I would have said so in no uncertain terms :mrgreen:

Wasn't it in the opening reel that the old guy won in the swimming pool? That's good if you are watching and old! Hope I've got the same film?
Edit.....No got the film wrong, that scene as I remember now was in 'The year of living Dangerously'
I thought that was a Guiness advert from a few years ago.

NSP

LE
The Trial of the Chicago 7 on t'Flix of Net. Fuckin' ninja!!

BigT

LE

We watched it last evening, I'd seen a previous version based largely on the trial transcripts but Aaron Sorkin has added a bit more flair. It was a really good ensemble performance from the cast, I've not seen Sacha Baron Cohen in a dramatic role and he was surprisingly good as Abie Hoffman but Frank Langela's Judge Hoffman was brilliant, he was so good I wanted to punch him.

slick

LE
Thanks for posting this, I haven’t seen this one for ages.
I have a vague recollection of it from years ago, I was surprised to see it online. Found this snippet of information over on the regimental website....
based on action carried out in January 1964 by Lt Mike Peel MC and men of the Royal Leicestershire Regiment

Slime

LE
I have a vague recollection of it from years ago, I was surprised to see it online. Found this snippet of information over on the regimental website....

The action it was based on is mentioned at the end of Reel 2.

We watched it last evening, I'd seen a previous version based largely on the trial transcripts but Aaron Sorkin has added a bit more flair. It was a really good ensemble performance from the cast, I've not seen Sacha Baron Cohen in a dramatic role and he was surprisingly good as Abie Hoffman but Frank Langela's Judge Hoffman was brilliant, he was so good I wanted to punch him.
Agree on both but would also include Eddie Redmayne who played the Student Society Leader very well. A film worth watching.

NSP

LE
Agree on both but would also include Eddie Redmayne who played the Student Society Leader very well. A film worth watching.
Does Redmayne insist on carrying a satchel in everything he appears in...?

Latest Threads