Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What film have you just watched?

Kirkz

LE
I don't know why Goodoldboy pulled down all my recent posts and in about 2 minutes (not enough time to read them) posted all with 'dumb'? just makes this site silly
Schimfin about it won't help.
Most posters here judge a poster on his posts not the number of ratings they have.

D-Day: Dog Company. Jesus H. Christ! A symphony of every dodgy cliche listed on the Worst War Movie thread. US Rangers land on D-Day to climb the cliffs of Point du Hoc and spike the guns, only to find they are fakes. Move inland, secure int' on the real guns. Real guns turn out to be dinky little field guns under canvas. These guns can apparently be destroyed by popping a smoke grenade into the space under the elevation rack quadrant (despite the order being to "put a frag in the breech.")

Purports to be a true story as is goes on to show the principle characters in the credits with a brief bio. A Lt. Col. Rudder (portrayed by a fat, unfit, unshaven man) leads the Rangers up the cliff and to infiinity and beyond, having sacked a Major Lytle for pointing out that the assigned mission would be somewhat and avoidably lethal for those going in, being all greenhorns. As I recall, there was a Point du Hoc assault, shown quite well in The Longest Day, and it was a bit of a bloodbath but the Allies did get to the top and the guns were there and they were taken and held.

In this mess, American steel helmets (including the ones obviously made from injection-moulded plastic) resist all attempts by 7.92mm to penetrate them whilst the German equivalent are no match for .30-06". Major installations are commanded by gefreiters - in officers breeches and jacket, albeit with the correct insignia of rank. American grenades are in the kiloton yield range and US Rangers can all throw one through the firing slit of a bunker from thirty yards whilst under MG fire. German grenades can go off next to the Allies without effect, as long as the Allies all turn away and tuck their chins into their chest and cower slightly.

M1s come in obvious plastic wood-effect stocks. BARs have clearly rubber barrels and rubber bipod legs - or the steel is very week and wobbly! M1s hold at least twenty rounds before the en bloc is exhausted. BARs clearly have a carefully folded 200rd belt inside the mag.

The CGI is shit.

Apparently on the Normandy coast on the 6th June 1944 the air was black with Fw-190s.

The entire Wehrmacht was so Nazi that they all wore a swastika armband.

A Lt. Col. goes into action with an M1 and sidearm. Platoon leaders enter action, at least initially, with a holstered .45" and nowt else.

The MG42 is a magazine-fed (double drum) weapon in the sustained-fire bunker-installed role. The capacity of the magazine is fifty gazillion rounds. The barrel can fire two of these mags in a near-continuous burst before a barrel-change is necessary.

A flight of Fw-190s strafe the command battleship and kill all the main armament crews so Maj. Lytle takes over A-turret and single-handedly puts in the requested support fire, apologising for it being a little late as the turret crews were all killed and he had to sort it himself. His uniform remains immaculate and his face unblackened. Never mind that battleship main turrets were generally enclosed and armoured or that it took a very large team of men working in well-drilled co-ordination to service, aim and fire the guns.

In relation to the above, the navy signalman takes the fire order and relays it as, "Gun crews make ready. Standby to engage." Yeah - engage what, on what bearing and at what range...?!

And it goes on...
An awesome review.

I wonder if the smoke grenades were just an attempt at doing the Thermite grenades that they did actually use on the guns?

A Good Year

No it wasn't, it wasn't even a good 90 minutes

NSP

LE
An awesome review.

I wonder if the smoke grenades were just an attempt at doing the Thermite grenades that they did actually use on the guns?
Maybe, maybe not. I've got more convincing (as in, output) smoke grenades in my hiking rig.

KnockKnock

Old-Salt
A Good Year

No it wasn't, it wasn't even a good 90 minutes
Wasn't it in the opening reel that the old guy won in the swimming pool? That's good if you are watching and old! Hope I've got the same film?
Edit.....No got the film wrong, that scene as I remember now was in 'The year of living Dangerously'

Last edited:

TamH70

MIA
One of the best Western movies of all time, Howard Hawk's seminal work, "Rio Bravo". With John Wayne as the Sheriff of the titular Texas town, Ricky Nelson as a young gunfighter who is, rarely for this kind of role, on the right side of the law, and a career-best role for Dean Martin as the recovering alcoholic who has to regain his skill with a gun to help his friend the Sheriff. (Who he starts off the movie by thwacking right across the face with a big dod of wood.)

It should be on iPlayer if you're into that kind of thing, as I watched it last night on its on-demand service.

Barely_Black

Old-Salt
Rio Bravo

The Duke and a rather hot Angie Dickinson

1602878048580.png

One of the best Western movies of all time, Howard Hawk's seminal work, "Rio Bravo". With John Wayne as the Sheriff of the titular Texas town, Ricky Nelson as a young gunfighter who is, rarely for this kind of role, on the right side of the law, and a career-best role for Dean Martin as the recovering alcoholic who has to regain his skill with a gun to help his friend the Sheriff. (Who he starts off the movie by thwacking right across the face with a big dod of wood.)

It should be on iPlayer if you're into that kind of thing, as I watched it last night on its on-demand service.

It's been rotated on one of the Freeview channels this past while. I don't tire of watching it.

jg505

Old-Salt
Just watched Le Mans 66.

On the whole, it's not too far from the actual truth. Bale's brummie accent could have been better but I suppose, for a Yank audience, it was the best they could do without needing subtitles ;-)

Worth a watch.

Latest Threads