Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What film have you just watched?

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
How To Murder Your Wife. Jack Lemmon, Terry Thomas and the delectable Virna Lisi.
The missus always asks why I watch this to which I reply ‘Just taking notes light of my life’. Now where can I get a ‘globbida globbida’ machine.
Netflx?

UKRaider

Old-Salt
Easily one of the worst films ever...

How To Murder Your Wife. Jack Lemmon, Terry Thomas and the delectable Virna Lisi.
The missus always asks why I watch this to which I reply ‘Just taking notes light of my life’. Now where can I get a ‘globbida globbida’ machine.
Wow, havent seen that since I was about 12, actually decent comedy

Wow, havent seen that since I was about 12, actually decent comedy
Feminists love it I’m told.

NB: I can be a right sarcastic bastard sometimes.

NSP

LE
Re-watched The Nice Guys this afternoon.

Russel Crowe & Ryan Gosling are private dicks looking for a missing girl, good story and funny as fcuk.

Probably for the Old and Bold ... last night I watched by chance “ North by North West “ … another Hitchcock classic …. made famous for the closing scenes on Mount Rushmore and memorable to me for the light aircraft crop dusting scene .

A good spy thriller using then class actors including Cary Grant , James Mason and Eve Marie Saint .

I enjoyed it even although to me some of the scenes were obviously shot internally with an external back drop .... however enjoyable escapism from the current world problems .

Hitchcock made his traditional cameo appearance in the film … watch to find where .

Taster ....

Last edited:
Tora Tora Tora. I'd forgotten just what a superb film this was. No CGI, no gash script and typecast characters. And no ridiculous sub-plot. Basically, everything that the other movie about 12/7 wasn't. It did leave me scratching my head a bit though. The below website answered my questions.

morsk

LE
6 underground. Utter shyte. Written by a 15 year old. There are 7 main characters, so god knows where the 6 comes from.

Last edited:

philc

LE
8 underground. Utter shyte. Written by a 15 year old. There are 7 main characters, so god knows where the 6 comes from.

I have just looked this film up, the central character fakes his own death to be come sort of vigilante in the country of his ancestors and the country is called Turdistan well I am in.

Kirkz

LE
8 underground. Utter shyte. Written by a 15 year old. There are 7 main characters, so god knows where the 6 comes from.
Three different numbers there, confused I am.

KnockKnock

Old-Salt
'The Day of the Locust', a long film about 1930s Hollywood, shown late on Talking pictures TV. Still thinking about it, must now get the book by Nathaneal West

"Down Among the Z Men"
Apparently the only film featuring all four Goons. Army jokes, bad uniforms (was there another sort?) spies, nuclear secrets, pretty girls ...
That's some weird shit right there.

TamH70

MIA
Courtesy of the Paramount Network, I have just finished watching "F/X: Murder By Illusion", starring Brian Dennehy and Brian Brown as an F/X guy who gets in over his head.

Very twisty, entertaining and well-acted.

Last night on Talking Pictures, The Small Back Room

First time I saw it was years ago, probably as a teenager, and yesterday was the 2nd. And what a difference. As a teenager, I was interested in the military and bomb disposal storyline, but yesterday I saw and admired the cinematography, acting and style. It had some fine actors in it, Jack Hawkins, who was up and coming then, was in it as well as Cyril Cusack giving a touching performance as the anguished corporal with problems at home. The RSM alluding to it when saying “his wife left at home drinking, seeing other men and things”.

Even had Sid James in it giving a good straight performance as the local pub landlord.

Particularly liked the performance of the actor playing officer on Chesil Beach in charge of the beach team. Forgot his rank and name, but the actor gave a wonderful sense of a languorous but competent and empathetic officer.

The sometime arty and quirky scenes some of which had a film noir feel to it. Especially a scene towards the end when a drunk Sammy Rice, the bomb expert and main character, comes home to find his ‘girl’ had left him and he smashes up some of the mementos.

Then watching the credits role, it was then I saw it was a Powell and Pressburger film. Not sure why I hadn’t noticed it on the opening credits, but that explained a lot of the quirkinesses and effective arty devices in the film.

Well worth watching.

Latest Threads