Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What film have you just watched?

Ice Cold in Alex
Sony Movies Action on Freeview. Just started.
Some of the best acting evva!
View attachment 505848

Morning @Northern Biff,
My all time favourite war film first watched late 60s.
On Ex'., in Egyptian desert '96/7(?). Given a day off to visit El-Alamein War Cemetery(only one bod from my Regiment buried there but significant bloke).
Due to the film and advert, I insisted we stop off at the 1st watering hole found. 4 of us sat at the bar and amazingly the glasses were 'Carlsberg'. I wouldn't let the lads start until I re-enacted this scene. They didn't have a Scooby of the film or advert so I edumacated them.
Sadly no female to take sexy Sylvia's role.

E2a: Corrected capital 'N'. Sorry Biff:)

Last edited:
Given the recent passing of Michael Lonsdale I intended to watch The Day of the Jackal in my hotel last night, but forgot to pack my flash drive with it on so settled for watching film of Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy that I had on iPlayer.

** Spoiler Alert warning for those who haven't seen it **

A great movie keeping in true spirit if not the narrative of the book. I've seen it a few times already but still picked up on a few moments I hadn't previously noticed. Particularly the relationship between Prideaux and Hayden and I noticed for the first time the moment when Prideaux and Hayden exchange looks at the Christmas party just before Hayden goes outside to seduce Smiley's wife, culminating with the scene where Prideaux shoots Hayden at Sarratt and the camera catches a tear rolling down Prideaux's face mimicking the tear of blood that rolls down Hayden's face as he falls dead.

Given the recent passing of Michael Lonsdale I intended to watch The Day of the Jackal in my hotel last night, but forgot to pack my flash drive with it on so settled for watching film of Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy that I had on iPlayer.

A great movie keeping in true spirit if not the narrative of the book. I've seen it a few times already but still picked up on a few moments I hadn't previously noticed. Particularly the relationship between Prideaux and Hayden and I noticed for the first time the moment when Prideaux and Hayden exchange looks at the Christmas party just before Hayden goes outside to seduce Smiley's wife, culminating with the scene where Prideaux shoots Hayden at Sarratt and the camera catches a tear rolling down Prideaux's face mimicking the tear of blood that rolls down Hayden's face as he falls dead.

Smileys promise to Tarr gets me.

Whilst switching channels cam into Decision Before Dawn part way through and watched it till the end. first time I saw it was many years ago in my teens. Interesting in that it was filmed fairly shortly after the war in 1951 and had in it quite a few German actors, with the lead German character corporal Maurer an Austrian actor who had been drafted into the Wermacht during the war, which added to the believability of the characters they played.

Some of the scenes would be better done now such as the German column being strafed by Thunderbolts towards the end of the film what with CGI and all, but the sense of impending collapse within Germany and its forces came over well for me.

The picture.

20200922_205145.jpg

The reality.

20200922_205206.jpg

I watched the "Rise of the footsoldiers"
Starring Craig Fairbrass who I'd think would be a hard bastard in real life.
Anyway I enjoyed it.

Watched ‘They Were Not Divided’ earlier on Talking Pictures. Made in 1950 with some real veterans playing parts too. Early outings for Christopher Lee and Desmond Llewelyn.

Anyway I enjoyed it.
Agree but I preferred The Essex Boys with Sean Bean and Alex Kingston based on the same story ie. the Rettendon Murders.

Kirkz

LE
Anyway I enjoyed it.
He was alright when he was a singer for Right Said Fred.

Tyk

LE

I agree, cracking movie and the actors did a damn convincing job. True it was packed with some massive stars, but they made the best of a decent script and the way it was shot with a very good period feel was excellent.

Day of the Jackal (Fox and Lonsdale version obviously) is another great film, so worth the time to watch, I must dig it out yet again.

Ice Cold in Alex is another I must watch again, quite a simple story, but played by good actors at the top of their game.

Such a shame that Hollywood really doesn't produce much of any note these days.

TamH70

MIA
I agree, cracking movie and the actors did a damn convincing job. True it was packed with some massive stars, but they made the best of a decent script and the way it was shot with a very good period feel was excellent.

Day of the Jackal (Fox and Lonsdale version obviously) is another great film, so worth the time to watch, I must dig it out yet again.

Ice Cold in Alex is another I must watch again, quite a simple story, but played by good actors at the top of their game.

Jackal is a fantastic movie. As far as I know, when they were making it in Paris, crowds were mobbing the guy who played De Gualle, thinking that he'd come back from the dead. Plus folks in those crowds were also trying to help the actors who played the police arrest the actors who were playing the assassins for the earlier scene.

Tyk

LE
Jackal is a fantastic movie. As far as I know, when they were making it in Paris, crowds were mobbing the guy who played De Gualle, thinking that he'd come back from the dead. Plus folks in those crowds were also trying to help the actors who played the police arrest the actors who were playing the assassins for the earlier scene.

I can't say I'm shocked by that.

Day of the Jackal had a huge amount going for it, the casting, acting, script, direction, filming and the scenery were all as good as it gets. The story isn't all that complicated, but it didn't need to be.

April 9th. A Danish WW2 movie about the German invasion of Denmark with only a platoon of lightly armed cyclists in their path. It's not exactly Fury, but it's well made and casts light on an overlooked sideshow. Free on Amazon Prime.

NSP

LE
Their entire raison d'etre these days seems to be to make mostly gash rehacks of timeless, inimitable classics (q.v. TDOTJ vs. The Jackal).

The Gentleman

Not a bad film though not as punchy as Guy Ritchies other gangster offerings ruined only by the casting of Hugh Grant.
I don't mind him in the role as a bumbling Uber middle class fop but in this one he's terrible.
His role would have been better in the hands of Matt King.

IMG_1375.jpg

Latest Threads