What film have you just watched?

After y
There have been a few threads on here where the subject matter is the death penalty.
Tonight, without knowing anything about this particular film I watched a rather gruesome tale of how the death penalty was carried out in S Africa.
Steve Coogan as you have never seen him before as a defence barrister and a rather convincing role he played.
Based on true events (not a true story) from 1987, the film Shepherds and Butchers, available on Netflix.
All I can say after watching it , it is not for the faint hearted.
After you comment watched it this afternoon on NETFLIX . Good film .

Dune is arguably the best ever science fiction novel. It was before its time and is very prophetic about some of the concepts it deals with. Apparently Frank Herbert spent 6 years researching for the novel.

It is an epic story and the first two versions of it doesn't quite catch that quality but from the trailer it seems this version may have done it.
I've read and re read that book about a hundred times. And it's still as good as the first time I picked it up.

A modern version of the movie with CGI would be excellent if it stuck to the book.

I've read and re read that book about a hundred times. And it's still as good as the first time I picked it up.

A modern version of the movie with CGI would be excellent if it stuck to the book.
Kynes is now a black chick.

They couldn't resist it.

I'm sure she'll be great but its so not the point.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer

They couldn't resist it.

"In a first look at the new Dune via Vanity Fair back in May, Duncan-Brewster also commented on the gender change, saying: “This human being manages to basically keep the peace amongst many people. Women are very good at that, so why can’t Kynes be a woman? Why shouldn’t Kynes be a woman?”
Err cos he's a bloke love, probably isn't the answer they want

ipso_facto

Old-Salt

A very powerful series. My favourite is God Emperor of Dune. Leto II said yes to the Golden Path of self sacrifice which Paul ran from.

Last edited:

They couldn't resist it.

Depressing, isn't it ... Some people can't help smearing their ideology over anything they touch.

Another thing (I think, happy to be corrected) I spotted in the trailer, somebody makes reference to "crusade" ... whereas I seem to remember that it's very specifically "jihad" in the books?

Which is a bit silly considering how Herbert was obviously interested in all the earth religions, and how it all might play out going forward thousands of years.

Still, hopefully it'll be great. Next stop "Starship Troopers" ...

They couldn't resist it.

To be in line for an Oscar this days you have to at least one BAME character, so does this mean the actor was chosen for her ability or is she just an end to a means?

ETA or a number of Asian characters to appeal to the vast Asian audience (cynical me).

Last edited:

Issi

War Hero
I watched Hacksaw Ridge last night.

The battle scenes were impressive, but (and how would I know), totally unrealistic and just a bit silly.
The usual endless magazines.
A bazooka blowing a massive steel reinforced concrete bunker to smithereens.
A soldier picking up a torso and using it as a makeshift shield, while charging the enemy.
Thirty year old recruits.
And don't mention the basic training scenes, they were so cringeworthy.

Depressing, isn't it ... Some people can't help smearing their ideology over anything they touch.

Another thing (I think, happy to be corrected) I spotted in the trailer, somebody makes reference to "crusade" ... whereas I seem to remember that it's very specifically "jihad" in the books?

Which is a bit silly considering how Herbert was obviously interested in all the earth religions, and how it all might play out going forward thousands of years.

Still, hopefully it'll be great. Next stop "Starship Troopers" ...
Give thanks for all the quality film you've seen over the years. From now, it must comply with the strictures of the few:

Read and weep, gently.

NSP

LE
Give thanks for all the quality film you've seen over the years. From now, it must comply with the strictures of the few:

Read and weep, gently.
Oh, look - another anti-racism/discrimination policy that is of itself a bit racist and discriminatory, like the rest of the "affirmative action" cult.

I'll just fall back on what MLK had to say and leave it before I start a really SHOUTY RANT!

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor

Read and weep, gently.
Doesn't really make much difference to me. For the past 30 years or so I have thought the Oscar winning film to be pretentious pish, or sometimes, just pish! Making it no honkies and gay as Larry Grayson will not make them better IMHO.

NSP

LE
Watched that Shepherds and Butchers last night.

Then I watched Rampage for a bit of light relief...

Doesn't really make much difference to me. For the past 30 years or so I have thought the Oscar winning film to be pretentious pish, or sometimes, just pish! Making it no honkies and gay as Larry Grayson will not make them better IMHO.
Quite, but how would a Producer make the film that he wants when ...
At least 30% of all actors in secondary and more minor roles are from at least two of the following underrepresented groups:
• Women
• Racial or ethnic group
• LGBTQ+
• People with cognitive or physical disabilities, or who are deaf or hard of hearing
?

How would that work with a remake of, say, 'The Cruel Sea', or 'Battle of the River Plate'? And of course, in such a film;

At least one of the lead actors or significant supporting actors is from an underrepresented racial or ethnic group.
• Asian
• Hispanic/Latinx
• Black/African American
• Indigenous/Native American/Alaskan Native
• Middle Eastern/North African
• Native Hawaiian or other Pacific Islander
• Other underrepresented race or ethnicity

I foresee difficulties with the makers' freedom to produce a product of quality, in their vision of the end result. This will not work out well, unless the producers are ready to lose income by angering their audiences. Consider Julius Caesar or Macbeth so Quota'd up; those are tragedies, not farces.

Latest Threads