Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What film have you just watched?

Der Stern von Afrika( the Star of Africa )1957

German film about luftwaffe ace Hans-Joachim Marseille (158 kills)
If you've watched any war film of the 60's -80's you will recognize the lead

Joachim Hansen

famous for playing opposite Michael Caine in the Eagle has landed

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
Greyhound. 2020.

Its a shame this is released on Apple TV. I obtained it from, er, another source. It demands a bigger audience.

Tom Hanks as head shed of convoy protection, 48 hours of zero sleep as the convoy is hassled by a pack of Uboats.

His attitude towards poor "lost souls" on the sinking of a sub changing to silent rage as he hunts the hunters.

Tom Hanks played his role brilliantly.

9 depth charges out of 10.

The Outpost. 2020.

As you'd expect, this film has a bit of "Gung Ho. America go." But by the teeth of Odin I think they deserve it on this occasion.

Based on a true action with 2 Medal of Honour recipients and a shed load of Silver and Bronze stars.

It's action packed from start to finish.

8 cowardly ANA soldiers out of 10.

FHA

LE
Totally agree about Greyhound. Really gripping (and very technical.)

It’s only about 90 minutes long and is over in a heartbeat.
I’m sure there’s a 2 hour version where they did lots of “character” stuff. But instead they went “nah, balls to that” and just made it one big scrap.

Sent from my iPhone

TamH70

MIA
The last film I watched was "A Study in Terror", one of the "Sherlock Holmes hunts Jack the Ripper" sub-genre of Holmes films. John Neville and Donald Houston make a pretty effective Holmes and Watson duo - and unlike that insufferable pair of pricks Bendydick Cucumberpatch and Martin Freeman, I'd actually happily watch the film and them in it again at some point.

It's on YouTube in full HD and if you search on Bing it's the second video result, or at least it is for me.

By accident came across on YouTube the opening scene for “ The Hill “ and truly impressive it is … all in an unbroken panned shot …

… this led to another YouTube clip which I shall not post in case I get a lifetime ban on ARRSE but involves RSM Wilson delivering a few , now very , very “ non politically correct “ , phrases to Pte Jacko King .... on YouTube search for " I'll teach you you're in the British Army " at your peril .... probably not safe for work .

I have seen the film several times ... however nett result … another cheap DVD ordered …. If nothing else for those immortal words again by RSM Wilson in the riot scene as to who would be charged .... IIRC … “ Every third man “ .... so not watched but to be watched as soon as it arrives .

I've just watched this:

Rumble_OG.png

This is a Canadian documentary which: 'tells the story of a profound, essential and until now, missing chapter in the history of American music. Featuring music icons Charley Patton, Mildred Bailey, Link Wray, Jimi Hendrix, Jesse Ed Davis, Buffy Sainte-Marie, Robbie Robertson, Randy Castillo and more, RUMBLE unravels the Indigenous influence and talented Native musicians who helped shape the soundtracks of our lives.'

Quite interesting - I had no idea of the official (ie. White House level) efforts to erase Indian culture, including music, into the 1970s.

NSP

LE
Quite interesting - I had no idea of the official (ie. White House level) efforts to erase Indian culture, including music, into the 1970s.
Google "Leonard Peltier."

One for the Old and Bold ... yesterday I watched “ I’m All Right Jack “ 1959 which brimmed with character actors from the time with Peter Sellers ( Shop Steward ) and Ian Carmichael ( Naïve aspiring professional ) as the main players . A film about Business chicanery , strong Trade Union practices and weak Management . Mild , quirky comedy with some serious undertones … I always enjoy this quote attributed to the Shop Steward …

We do not and cannot accept the principle that incompetence justifies dismissal. That is victimisation.

... as depicted in this clip ...

Last night I was talking to my son about this film and mentioned how little Business attitudes / practices had changed even in the mid 70’s …. “ Uniontocracy “ seemed to be the norm . At that time I actually witnessed some of the practices depicted in the film . One of the the Companies I worked for with ~ 1000 employees on one site even had a Works Convenor whose function was full time TU business . Eventually Business seemed to realise that the Unions were in some ways more professional / organised than Management , That resulted in the Company I then worked for allowing myself and a number of my peers attending Management Development courses for a number of years .

Last edited:
The last film I watched was "A Study in Terror", one of the "Sherlock Holmes hunts Jack the Ripper" sub-genre of Holmes films. John Neville and Donald Houston make a pretty effective Holmes and Watson duo - and unlike that insufferable pair of pricks Bendydick Cucumberpatch and Martin Freeman, I'd actually happily watch the film and them in it again at some point.

It's on YouTube in full HD and if you search on Bing it's the second video result, or at least it is for me.
That the one with Bodie in it?

If so, all they had to do was send in CI5 and Jackie Boy would have been mince.

TamH70

MIA

syrup

LE
One for the Old and Bold ... yesterday I watched “ I’m All Right Jack “ 1959 which brimmed with character actors from the time with Peter Sellers ( Shop Steward ) and Ian Carmichael ( Naïve aspiring professional ) as the main players . A film about Business chicanery , strong Trade Union practices and weak Management . Mild , quirky comedy with some serious undertones … I always enjoy this quote attributed to the Shop Steward …

... as depicted in this clip ...

Last night I was talking to my son about this film and mentioned how little Business attitudes / practices had changed even in the mid 70’s …. “ Uniontocracy “ seemed to be the norm . At that time I actually witnessed some of the practices depicted in the film . One of the the Companies I worked for with ~ 1000 employees on one site even had a Works Convenor whose function was full time TU business . Eventually Business seemed to realise that the Unions were in some ways more professional / organised than Management , That resulted in the Company I then worked for allowing myself and a number of my peers attending Management Development courses for a number of years .

Watched it last night cracking film a personal favourite
Have you watched Privates Progress?
It's the prequel in effect
Same cast same names except Windrush gets called up during the war.
Gets taken in by Lord Dickie A and led astray.

Indeed yes .... another cracking film from that era .... I have the DVD ... somewhere in a safe place .

Last edited:

Issi

War Hero
I saw 'three billboards outside Ebbing Missouri ' . I thoroughly enjoyed it, but I think my other half wasn't convinced.

Indeed yes .... another cracking film from that era .... I have the DVD ... somewhere in a safe place .
"Schnell, you stinkers!"
"Good lord, Windrush! What are you doing dressed up as a jerry? You're an absolute bounder!"

The Kings Choice - It's in Norwegian but English subtitles, worth a watch if nothing else it includes the sinking of the Blucher by shore batteries.
Excellent WW2 era setting with a very strong historical storyline.

Finally got around to watching the superb A Kings Choice I'd downloaded from Iplayer a few weeks ago. A wee bit of WW2 history I've never know much about & this is well put together film about the decision King Haakon had to make in 1940. Fair bit of action as well at the high level political stuff.

Only half way through watching The King's Choice but it is an excellent film, very well produced and acted.

For anyone that hasn't watched it it is only available on iPlayer until 10pm this coming Monday.

Watched it last night and thought it was excellent, particularly the balancing act required by a constitutional monarchy attempting to influence the decisions of a democratically elected government, albeit that all sides of the political class, from serving PM Nygaardsvold to HItler stooge Quisling, didn't come out of the movie well. The cinematography and acting made it a really compelling watch.

The Kings Choice - It's in Norwegian but English subtitles, worth a watch if nothing else it includes the sinking of the Blucher by shore batteries.
Excellent WW2 era setting with a very strong historical storyline.

"The King's Choice" was on BBC2 last night. If we have a Noggy historian to hand I'd be interested to hear what they had to say about accuracy, both politically and militarily.

The action is good where it exists and seems to me to be realistic. The action at the road block for instance does look like a night action and the progress of it with the more experienced troops flanking the less experienced troops and the latters reaction to it has a ring of truth about it to me (ETA It seems to have been the Battle of Midtskogen). Even the little burst of tracer that goes silently through the sky after the grenade goes off pointed out that the fight was still going on. The loss of the Blucher to shore batteries seems astounding in view of the success of the Germans elsewhere in Europe (neutralising the Belgian forts for instance). Did they really think than no Norwegians would fight?

On the other hand the political aspect is quite interesting, constitutional and international politics mixes with family politics. This part of the film is like "The Queen" except you delete the death of Diana and replace it with being invaded by the Nazis. The King was apparently voted for by the Norwegian people and the family came from elsewhere to Norway. Consequently he seems to have been particulalry sensitive to the failure of the politicians to adapt to what was actually happening.

ETA After a bit of Wiki reading my conclusion is it seems that any action portrayed was that which the King was directly aware of through his government or his own personal experience (He drives through the preparations at Midtskogen and speaks to one of the soldiers there). There was resistance by Norwegian troops in other places and the RN and Kriegsmarine were duking it out elsewhere in Norway, but generally because they were still pinning their safety on neutrality they had not issued mobilisation notices.

Last edited:
Excellent afternoon and evening viewing on the box in south Australia. Ice cold in Alex, followed by Dunkirk ( the 1950s version) and to round it off The Battle of Britain . Just me the telly a roast of pork and a copious supply of red

Latest Threads