Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What film have you just watched?

F

Finally got round to watching this properly. Very well done indeed and certainly a great watch. Along with Siege of Jadotville it's an example of how I wish more modern war films were made.
First time i can remember seeing an Owen SMG in a Movie.
Attack Force Z they used Silenced M3 Greasguns

Wonder if there's a sequel.... "Kung Fu Flid 2: Flippers of Fury"
He's a burlesque performer now, would you believe.
The missus is a bit of a burlesque fan and we watched a documentary that he was in.
Not what I would call erotic to be honest.

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
Just finished watching a classic again. Didnt realise there was 3 Oscars involved.

The Killing Fields on Amazon Prime.

Still as gritty.

9 bullets in the back of the head out of 10.

TamH70

MIA
Just finished watching a classic again. Didnt realise there was 3 Oscars involved.

Still as gritty.

I remember watching that in the cinema when it first came out. Terrifying.

Still as gritty.

The bloke played by John Malkovic was still living there when I first arrived in ‘98. They would occasionally display retrospectives if his work in the Foreign Correspondents’ Club.

The early scenes in the French Embassy are chilling and very accurate by all accounts.

Spoiled a bit for me - as a spotter - by the ‘Hollywood Mine’ right at the end.

The story is even more tragic as the actor who played Dith Pran was himself a refugee living in Long Beach. Like many Khmer I know, he lost all of his family and his only surviving photo of his wife was in a locket he wore on a gold chain. He was apparently killed trying to defend it from a mugger.

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
The bloke played by John Malkovic was still living there when I first arrived in ‘98. They would occasionally display retrospectives if his work in the Foreign Correspondents’ Club.

The early scenes in the French Embassy are chilling and very accurate by all accounts.

Spoiled a bit for me - as a spotter - by the ‘Hollywood Mine’ right at the end.

The story is even more tragic as the actor who played Dith Pran was himself a refugee living in Long Beach. Like many Khmer I know, he lost all of his family and his only surviving photo of his wife was in a locket he wore on a gold chain. He was apparently killed trying to defend it from a mugger.

Thanks for that. It's always interesting to hear these back stories.

It was obviously a horrible fucking mess.

2001 - A Space Odessey.

I'd forgotten what a visually stunning film it is, and made back in the day before CGI infested the world.

You should watch "Rio Bravo" next - the Howard Hawks film that he specifically directed as an attack on that movie as he (and John Wayne, and the rest of the R.B. cast) utterly detested just about every minute of it. The Wikipedia page is just a useful primer on how much, but there is a lot of other stuff on the 'Net about it.

edited to add:

Oh yeah, and the songs in the film are fantastic, particularly this one with Ricky Nelson and Dean the man Martin:

It's the single greatest summation of the Western Myth ever put to audio and celluloid.
Can't watch Rio Bravo. It was shown, on a cine projector, effectively none stop while we traveled from FI to South Georgia. The projector slid back and forward a couple of inches on the mess deck table putting it into and out of focus, with the end result of making me sick as a dog. Horrible trip, ate an apple and bar of chocolate in three days.
Still get sick on anything above wet grass now. Thank you the RFA

2001 - A Space Odessey.

I'd forgotten what a visually stunning film it is, and made back in the day before CGI infested the world.

I saw that film in 1968 in the Cinerama in old Compton street in London, second day of release, the screen was a 130 degree curved monster, 4 projectors, all aligned perfectly, and made the mistake of sitting in the front row, , practically between both ends, i had to go back a second time, and sit at the back to appreciate the full experience. I still have the glossy program, price 5/- (25p) Now a collectors item.

NB. the sequence of the flight attendant in the pan-am rocket plane in space, walking up the curved wall onto the "Ceiling" was done in a rotating drum, made especially for that sequence, it cost thousands, for about 30 seconds of screen time. Today 52 years later, its still a film rated as one of the best ever made.

NB. the sequence of the flight attendant in the pan-am rocket plane in space, walking up the curved wall onto the "Ceiling" was done in a rotating drum, made especially for that sequence, it cost thousands, for about 30 seconds of screen time.
As was the scene in Discovery 1 where Bowman is jogging and shadow boxing inside the circular command deck. A 30' carousel costing over $750k was constructed for the scenes.

Later tonight I shall mainly be watching " Top Secret " ... recently featured on this thread and a film I have never seen before ... with a glass or two of Shiraz and a small snack bowl of Pork Pie , Coleslau , Cheese and Cherry Tomatoes

ETA .... superb spoof / parody film .... and hilarious ...will have to watch several times to pick up all the subtle scenes ... I am surprised I have not seen the film before ... recognised the faces and names of some of the actors ... which confirms my age ... in fact quite a star cast

Last edited:

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Why has the guy on the right got a toy rifle?

After reading a few reviews on this i'm going to give it a try.
DANGER CLOSE
Just watched this and thoroughly enjoyed it. Very well made and graphic. Recommended.

Last edited:
There is another TV movie version from 1988 I once saw with Jeff Daniels as Lt Merrick, Eric Bogosian as his lawyer Barney Ross

In truth, it's just not another tv movie. It does focus on the trial, which the previous film spent a lot of time (chaff?) on the personalities characteristics leading to the court marshal.

The TV presentation, focusses on the evidence ( unbiased) as given to a jury. The audience is obliged to deliberate on both those in the 'chair' and their statements. Much more brain engaging I believe.

FHA

LE
Danger Close is on Netflix now. Had to be done, glad I watched it.

Also (finally) watched Inception, the Christopher Nolan film.
Makes The Matrix look like a simple tale of everyday folk. Impressive stuff though.

Sent from my iPhone

On Netflix, Danger Close. Film based on an incident(s) during the Vietnam War in 1966 The Battle for Long Tan when Aus/Nz troops went up against a far superior number of VC. Plenty of action and annoying incompetance of HQ top officers. What I couldn't get my head round was the use(if factual)of different weapons/calbre used by blokes in the same unit. I ended up about half way through doing the old fast forward thing as it was pretty obvious how things would pan out. Worth a look but don't expect an epic blockbuster.

Netflix, Robert Duvall at his best in The Judge. An ageing small town long time serving judge is charged with murder and eventually it is down to one of his sons(Robert Downey Jnr) with whom he has a shitty relationship to defend him. Not one of those long drawn out courtroom type films but also a look into the family problems/relationships. Well worth a watch.

Last edited:

NSP

LE
Danger Close is on Netflix now. Had to be done, glad I watched it.
Watched it last night. What a tool the headshed was - "Turn your column around and come and get me." "Sir, the lads are in the shit and time is of the essence." "Turn your column around and come and get me."

Later, "Hold there and wait for me to catch up." "Sir, the lads are on their uppers and time is even more of the essence." "Hold there and wait for me."

Praise be for junior officers not slaved to the rulebook, who can think, "Fuck you (sir!)," and translate the order each time to one APC turning around/waiting whilst the rest of the column moves up and comes in with the HMGs and reinforcements, and not a moment too soon.

If that's an accurate retelling then we're back to WWI "lions/donkeys" territory.

NSP

LE
On Netflix, Danger Close. Film based on an incident(s) during the Vietnam War in 1966 The Battle for Long Tan when Aus/Nz troops went up against a far superior number of VC. Plenty of action and annoying incompetance of HQ top officers. What I couldn't get my head round was the use(if factual)of different weapons/calbre used by blokes in the same unit. I ended up about half way through doing the old fast forward thing as it was pretty obvious how things would pan out. Worth a look but don't expect an epic blockbuster.
Having watched The Odd Angry Shot I was puzzled by the number of M-16s on show, given that the Aussie forces were a primary SLR (Lithgow variant) user at the time and all the way forward until 1988 when the licence-built Steyr AUG (the "AusSteyr") replaced it. In TOAS the guy lugging the radio about has the M-16, ostensibly as a lighter weapon with lighter ammo to offset the load of the radio and batteries on top of his personal field kit, and the rest have the SLR or, if the squad gunner, an MG. I.e. One M-16 per platoon.

In DC there's several Owen SMGs in play, too.

Edit to add: in the 1985 Screen 2 drama "Contact" by Alan Clarke (ostensibly a fictionalised account of his own experiences on active service in Northern Ireland) the radioman also carries an M-16 albeit with an M203 attached - so could have been to give the platoon a grenade launcher without the operator of same being diffy a personal long weapon (i.e. in lieu of the M-79) whilst allowing the operator a lighter load against the weight of the comms kit? Also to give the platoon a light weapon capable of automatic fire to supplement the MG (also seen in the drama) for, say, when clearing a suspect building? In the drama the platoon patrols open country and catches suspected terrorists moving weapons from a remote farmhouse to a car so the M-16 would have been useful for securing the house, with the selector on auto, perhaps...? Apart from the MG gunner and the radioman everyone else appears to have the SLR - no Sterlings in sight.

Last edited: