Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What film have you just watched?

Windtalkers with Nicholas cage. OK the plot is familiar Navahoe Indians in the US army used for their communication abilities. Other than that a 2 hour shoot'em up uarraugh Nicholas Cage Platform. All in all 5/10
You're quite generous, I give it a 2

Every bullet strike reacts like a Apocalypse now napalm strike, Dogtags so tight on the neck to make strangling a possibility, Dressing as a Nip and running into a position?

Decent real story made shit by focusing not on the codetalkers themselves, but the Marine raider who guards them

But John Woo films are always over the top Hong Kong fight films

Just reading this........ the 2008 tv version of Herman Wouk's stage played is equally absorbing, made better in my opinion , by the lack of 'stars'.
There is another TV movie version from 1988 I once saw with Jeff Daniels as Lt Merrick, Eric Bogosian as his lawyer Barney Ross

KnockKnock

Old-Salt
I shall be again surfing for suitable b/w films this afternoon on 'Talking Pictures TV', The films are just my cup of tea, but sometimes, now and again, in the evening we watch 'Special Branch' (great), followed by 'The Gentle Touch'. The thing that impresses me is how before watching 'Champion', they pay tribute to 'Kirk Douglas RIP'. Then before 'The Gentle Touch' 'Jill Gascoine RIP 1937- 28/04/2020'. It is just hard to believe that the lovely lady who amongst other work appeared in 56 episodes, a successful actor who gave the character of DI Maggie Forbes, a bit of depth, has now left us.

There is another TV movie version from 1988 I once saw with Jeff Daniels as Lt Merrick, Eric Bogosian as his lawyer Barney Ross

My error, you are absolutely correct. I got the wrong year. Thanks.

Slime

LE
Slight thread drift. The prison location was Rockingham Castle near to Corby in Northamptonshire. Myself and a couple of chaps were in the Sondes Arms in Rockingham having an impromptu afternoon sesh along with a couple of film set hangers on. We were roped into playing German guards as they didn’t have enough extras. As this hadn’t been budgeted for they paid us in beer for a couple of days. Not bad for a 16 year old piss head.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How‘s this for stupid.

When I was small one of my family lived in Rockingham. When we went to the castle I thought it was where ‘Lord Rockingham’ lived of ‘there’s a mouse loose in this house’ fame :)

How‘s this for stupid.

When I was small one of my family lived in Rockingham. When we went to the castle I thought it was where ‘Lord Rockingham’ lived of ‘there’s a mouse loose in this house’ fame :)

It's - " There's a moose loose aboot this hoose " :)

Slime

LE
It's - " There's a moose loose aboot this hoose " :)

Yes, I know, but was too lazy to use the correct spellings and words :)

Needless to say, It was a different owner of the castle and buildings in the village :)

NSP

LE
Aye - a full length feature set in the actual court martial, which was only a part of the original.

Knives Out.

A writer is found dead after committing suicide, the police make enquiries and someone unknown asked James Bond to turn up as a Cajun, Hercule Poirot. He sounds like he's attempting a deep south accent with his cock in his mouth to be honest.

The suicide isn't as it seems and the surviving relatives (A bunch of cartoon, cardboard cut-out cnuts) are all at each others throats. I got to the will reading and gave it up as a load of dog toffee.

There's a bit of poorly scripted, modern social issues added to them and a rather preachy "Immigrants are the only people who get things done" motif coupled with Daniel Craig's awful accent and the overly long running time just ruins this completely.

Finally got round to watching this properly. Very well done indeed and certainly a great watch. Along with Siege of Jadotville it's an example of how I wish more modern war films were made.
Why has the guy on the right got a toy rifle?

After reading a few reviews on this i'm going to give it a try.

The Beast. Arrogant twat of a tank commander orders a right when the rest of the column went left. Muj' and pissed-off dispossessed tank driver get their own back. Filmed in Israel using about five T-55s purchased from the IDF. Unlike most tank movies they used the actual T-55 interior rather than an oversized set for the inside scenes - complete with a supernumery in the loaders tiny space. There's a red starred Super Frelon provided by the Israelis posing as, I guess, a Mi-8. Seen it a few times before but was sober enough to spot a few things this time - like the commander mounting a moving T-55 from the side whilst it is underway (don't recall any sort of step there so if he stood on a road wheel he's asking to lose a leg) and when the Super Frelon is leaving the re-sup' the dust cloud from the tank is moving and then, in the long shot showing the heli' gaining distance and flying over the cam'd-up Muj', the cloud is static (i.e. a matt). Oh, and were T-55s fitted with a flame-thrower infront of the commander's cupola, even with the Israeli mods (like the upgunning to 105mmm)...? Grenades seem to be nukes when lobbed at Muj' but thunderflashes when they go off next to the Russians. And how come the booby-trapped misfire is undamaged but the Muj' who moved it and let the booby-trap grenade off is torn in half...?

On Deadly Ground. Steven Seagal Jap-slapping his way around Alaska. Opening scene: doing a Red Adair on a derrick. Flies in, takes off tasselled leather native-design jacket, pulls yellow nylon overalls over jeans and shirt, gets a five-second "briefing" and then grabs a wriggly-tin shield and walks up to a burning wellhead. Sets off the air-stealing charge when it's dangling miles from the fire and not actually in the burning vent-jet. I last watched this before I entered the oil industry and, coming on the back of Under Siege, thought "yeah - lots of bang and whizz and cool stunts, even if it's pants." I've got my spotter's head on now and am ripping holes in it.

PT109 when this dross is done - if I'm still conscious!

I enjoyed the Beast though.

‘RPG-tank-kaboom!’

And the ‘out of ammunition-become heroes’ quote

Aye - a full length feature set in the actual court martial, which was only a part of the original.

thats the one oddly I never see it on TV here in the US

Giving Hacksaw Ridge a spin again on Prime. I see that they do the Shaving Ryan's Privates trick of smacking the base of a mortar bomb on a hard surface then lobbing it like a dart to cause it to land on the [presumably] impact fuse in the nose.

Did that work? Presumably there was a safety mechanism that didn't arm the fuse until the base struck the firing pin in the bottom of the tube (??) but would slapping it on your tin lid deliver the necessary force to trip the trigger?

Looking briefly at modern mortars it seems that the propellent is external to the bomb and is of a "dial a muzzle velocity/range" type based on removing rings of propellent from the bomb tail, whereas the WWII round was all internal (??). But could you still arm a modern bomb by giving the arse-end a slap and then lob it...?

Or is it all Hollywood bollox...?

Because (most) mortars aren’t spin stabilised they can’t have a centrifugal safe-to-arm mechanism. Banging the tail on the ground is mimicking an ‘inertial’ mechanism but I’m not convinced it would work, even if the fuze had an inertial arming system.

There’s normally a basic internal propellant charge in mortars, with one of the recognition features of an unfired mortar being to see if the ‘gas holes’ on the tail have blown out. This is augmented by, er, augmenting charged as you describe.

Blind mortars can be well dodgy.

NSP

LE
I enjoyed the Beast though.

‘RPG-tank-kaboom!’

And the ‘out of ammunition-become heroes’ quote
Oh, aye - good flick with pukka hardware but I couldn't help spotting last time I watched it. The extremely short recoil on the main armament when they show it being fired from the inside, and it chucking the case out before it starts going backwards caught my eye, too.

Latest Threads