Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What film have you just watched?

Gone Girl on Saturday night with Ben Affleck and Rosamund Pike. Storyline here:

Gone Girl (2014) - IMDb

so I won't repeat. Saw it on release but settled down again with some beers and watched it all over again whilst Ms Zemlyak was out gossiping with mates.

Really enjoyed the suspense, build up and plot driven characters again even though I knew what the final ending would be. And also waiting for Rosamund to show her perky bottom again.

For me it was a well executed film, so much so that it wasn't until I read the reviews afterwards that I realised how many obvious plot holes I had missed. But then again, you could say that about many well known films that just 'work' and the magic of their story telling suspend disbelief and draw you into their world and inner logic.

Trans-sane

LE
Book Reviewer
Over the weekend me and the missus watched The Old Guard on Netflix which was rather good indeed. Massively helped with several scenes prominently showing Charlize Theron's arse in tight jeans. Recommended.

Also watched the 1999 version of The Thomas Crowne Affair. One of my favourite films of all time and the scene near the end of the film in the museum of art is sublime, particularly with the Nina Simone soundtrack.

On Netflix : The Imitation Game. Cumberbatch is excellent as Alan Turing and his efforts during WW2 to build his "machine" and crack Enigma. Also an insight into(if factual)his troubled private life. Well worth a watch.

After attempting to watch 'The Post' before giving up on it I ended up in front of 'Sabotage', a 2014 vehicle for Arnie Schwarzenegger. He's the obligatory tough DEA Special Ops squad leader investigated for, and cleared of, stealing $10m of cartel drug money but whose (quite-frankly dysfunctional and straight from central casting) team members start being killed off in extreme ways, presumably by the cartel, in revenge. Cut a long story short most people die, the baddies couldn't hit a barn door with a banjo, the goodies find out the truth, there's a lot of uber-gory and imaginative killing and Arnie gets his revenge.

It;s a bit sh!t so recommended on a 3 keys of coke out of 10 basis, only if you really have nothing else to do for an hour and 50 minutes.

Fortunately Sicario was on immediately afterwards, and that is a proper DEA v cartel movie.

I watched that with open mouthed amazement, the traffic queue shootout, the street scene, with hanging corpses, and a house with false walls containing gift wrapped murdered stiffs, if that is a true representation of Mexico's border towns, that country is in very deep shit indeed.

I watched that with open mouthed amazement, the traffic queue shootout, the street scene, with hanging corpses, and a house with false walls containing gift wrapped murdered stiffs, if that is a true representation of Mexico's border towns, that country is in very deep shit indeed.

The house with the bodies in the walls was meant to be in Phoenix, Az.

Sicario: Day of the Soldado

Watched it last night, more or less the same cast but without the constantly greetin FBI wummin from the first film. Not a bad movie which shows that even the best laid plans usually go tits up very early on. Apparently they are now working on a third Sicario film.

Definitely worth a watch.

Sicario: Day of the Soldado

Watched it last night, more or less the same cast but without the constantly greetin FBI wummin from the first film. Not a bad movie which shows that even the best laid plans usually go tits up very early on. Apparently they are now working on a third Sicario film.

Definitely worth a watch.
The product placement by Volkswagen did kinda bring it down to earth, the sign language scene was a nice touch

Ocean's Eight. Wimmin rool! Done with an eye on the Me too crowd. No complicated heist. Yet again relying on some amazing coincidences to get us through the film. Simple story without the style of the others in the franchise.

TamH70

MIA
Finished my Monday viewing by watching "Red Heat", the 1988 action-comedy starring Arnold Schwarzenegger as a Moscow militia captain out for revenge, and a surprisingly perfectly cast James Belushi as the world-weary and cynical cop who's forced to work with him when some circumstances force Arnie to hunt down his man in Chicago.

I am not sure if I would call it a classic cop film but it is entertaining and held my interest throughout, not bad for a film I've seen a few times before. It also stars Laurence Fishburne and proves he played self-righteous and eminently punchable twats long before he played Morpheus in the Matrix Trilogy. ;)

KnockKnock

Old-Salt
Yesterday afternoon watched;- 'The End of the Affair' b/w 1955, on 'Talking Pictures TV', thankfully those of us now retired have a film channel with the stuff we like! We've seen this film before, also the 1999 remake with Ralph Fiennes and Julianne Moore.
The 1955 film we watched, this great novel by Graham Green, with Deborah Kerr (Sarah) and Van Heflin (Maurice) is my favorite, Deborah Kerr was such a brilliant actor, she portrayed so well the emotions of a woman who makes a vow, and then feel compelled to honour that vow. What came across was the terrible damage of bombing we all lived through during the Blitz. I shall in time, watch this film again.