Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What film have you just watched?

Jaws 4...

Truly, truly dreadful...

...with no redeeming features...

...even my wife was picking holes in it.

...but after half a bottle of port I found it awful in an entertaining sort of way, however I should point out that smoke grendades caught inside a shark's mouth will NOT blow it up when you pull the pin out...

Jaws 4...

Truly, truly dreadful...

...but after half a bottle of port I found it awful in an entertaining sort of way, however I should point out that smoke grendades caught inside a shark's mouth will NOT blow it up when you pull the pin out...

I once made the mistake of watching 3 and 4 back to back. It took me a long long time to recover. Witness the shitness.

A rare lazy day today, so I watched two.

1. The Victim - made in 1959. Not my choice in type (honest) but managed to catch it from the start. Tells the story of a group of closet homosexuals from all walks of life in London, who were being blackmailed as homosexuality was illegal back then. One young man taking his own life as result after being arrested. Quite a powerful and thought provoking film as it turns out. Decent members of society being criminalised and persecuted for liking a bit of the pork sword in private with like minded people. We’ve come a long way since then. With a strong cast It must have taken a lot of balls (pardon the pun) to make back then and was probably very controversial at the time. Also Silvya Syms was at her most radiant as the wife of a Barrister (Dirk Bogard) caught up in the middle of it all.

2. 1917 - meh.

Buried with Ryan Reynolds.
Shite film but on the plus side Ryan Reynolds is buried alive.
Bonus :mrgreen:
If only they'd done that at the start of Blade Runner 2045.

The Blues Brothers. Just brilliant.

Though not the failed abortion that is Blues Brothers 2000. Crap cinema is dangerous for your wellbeing, just say no kids.
Bluesbrothersmovieposter.jpg

Last edited:
Windtalkers with Nicholas cage. OK the plot is familiar Navahoe Indians in the US army used for their communication abilities. Other than that a 2 hour shoot'em up uarraugh Nicholas Cage Platform. All in all 5/10

The One That Got Away - again. Still enjoyable.
True story about the only German POW to escape from the UK back to Germany in WW2.
A question. In the scene where the prisoners are taken on their exercise march. The sergeant on horseback, was he Tony Selby ? (Corporal Marsh - Get Some In)

Secondly and sadly;
Zombies Have Fallen.
A very very low budget British effort. Girl with supernatural powers escapes from the clutches of evil bloke intent on exploiting her powers. A run up to Gretna Green for no discernible reason, and the girl is saved by a retired assassin, who takes out several other highly trained assassins. Then cut to a church where 60 zombies proceed to wreak havoc. No explanation is given for the zombies. Luckily the bagpiper in the church is able to turn his pipes into a machine gun, and when it jams it turns into flame thrower, obviously.
I kept watching hoping it would become a "so bad it was good" cult classic.
It did not.Poor scripts, wooden acting, poor character development....70 minutes you will never get back.

Watching "The Caine Mutiny"
Van Johnson
Humphrey Bogart
Fred MacMurray
Lee Marvin
Jose Ferrer

Classic

Just reading this........ the 2008 tv version of Herman Wouk's stage played is equally absorbing, made better in my opinion , by the lack of 'stars'.

roninxix

War Hero
The 80's comedy classic, "Top Secret!"

Such a funny film. Probably Val Kilmer's best solo film to boot.

Slight thread drift. The prison location was Rockingham Castle near to Corby in Northamptonshire. Myself and a couple of chaps were in the Sondes Arms in Rockingham having an impromptu afternoon sesh along with a couple of film set hangers on. We were roped into playing German guards as they didn’t have enough extras. As this hadn’t been budgeted for they paid us in beer for a couple of days. Not bad for a 16 year old piss head.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jaws 4...

Truly, truly dreadful...

Is that the one with Michael Caine.

"Cor, the breath on that thing!"

Slight thread drift. The prison location was Rockingham Castle near to Corby in Northamptonshire. Myself and a couple of chaps were in the Sondes Arms in Rockingham having an impromptu afternoon sesh along with a couple of film set hangers on. We were roped into playing German guards as they didn’t have enough extras. As this hadn’t been budgeted for they paid us in beer for a couple of days. Not bad for a 16 year old piss head.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, but then there's Corby.........

roninxix

War Hero

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Jaws 4...

Truly, truly dreadful...

No but it might get cancer of the throat. There is only one Jaws film worth watching and that’s Jaws.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Just watched 'Champion' b/w1949. Kirk Douglas (Midge) portrays the pent up anger, we can have and have seen as young men, motivated by the attention of attractive women. Although I only once went to see Joe Bugner at the R Albert Hall, the seats so high up I could hardly see the blows. The fight scenes in the film were terrific! What a terrific actor! Wow, when he hit that locker in desperation! Screen play Carl Foreman and Director Mark Robson. 10/10
Look if it was Joe Bugner there probably weren’t any “blows” any way, remember that fight? No er dance he had with Ali, I‘m not sure if he threw one meaningful punch.

Last edited:

skeetstar

Old-Salt
Thrones and empires with Christian bale. An adaptation of hamlet.

Truly dreadful film, I'm surprised it hadnt crossed the line from awfulness to cult favourite.
The depiction of a saxon army.. six blokes , surrounded by smoke to make you think the rest are hidden, is a classic of the modern cinema.

In my view it is a masterpiece of the film agents art. None of the actors can have looked at the script before they were persuaded to sign up.

Its awful, but you'll sort of enjoy it. The box artwork is good though.

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
As recommended here.

The hitmans bodyguard. Samual L Jackson is bang on form. Hugely entertaining escapism.

Watch out, right at the end of the film, for the man on fire in the background during a simple bar fight. Ridiculous. Ace.

Give it a go.

As recommended here.

The hitmans bodyguard. Samual L Jackson is bang on form. Hugely entertaining escapism.

Watch out, right at the end of the film, for the man on fire in the background during a simple bar fight. Ridiculous. Ace.

Give it a go.

Both Ms Zemlyak and I laughed and giggled all the way through the, as you rightly put it, ridiculous but hugely entertaining bar fight scenes, even when Salma Hayek shoves a broken bottle into a guy's throat and blood spurts. Great fun.

TamH70

MIA
Both Ms Zemlyak and I laughed and giggled all the way through the, as you rightly put it, ridiculous but hugely entertaining bar fight scenes, even when Salma Hayek shoves a broken bottle into a guy's throat and blood spurts. Great fun.
As recommended here.

Give it a go.
Bought it.

Watched it.

Brilliant film. Funny, action-packed, and great chemistry between the two leads. Well worth the four quid it cost me from Amazon Prime to purchase it.

Latest Threads