What film have you just watched?

AfricaExpat

Old-Salt
The Foreigner. Saw it and enjoyed couple of years ago. As I remember they were very carefull to not identify the perpetrators . No indications on whether IRA or UVF.

syrup

LE
The Foreigner. Saw it and enjoyed couple of years ago. As I remember they were very carefull to not identify the perpetrators . No indications on whether IRA or UVF.

We could probably have a wild stab in the dark at who Pierce was playing though.
Frankly I'm surprised Pierce hasn't been on the receiving end of a wild stab in the dark due to his character portrayal

TamH70

MIA
The 80's comedy classic, "Top Secret!"

Such a funny film. Probably Val Kilmer's best solo film to boot.

NSP

LE
The 80's comedy classic, "Top Secret!"

Such a funny film. Probably Val Kilmer's best solo film to boot.
Snigger - the "Anal Intruder Deluxe!"

And the "Swedish book seller scene" where they acted it all backwards so the dialogue would sound like hurdy-gurdy when they played that section of film in reverse. Brilliant...

And the "Swedish book seller scene" where they acted it all backwards so the dialogue would sound like hurdy-gurdy when they played that section of film in reverse. Brilliant...
I particularly liked the scene where the DDR bigwigs were in the background when a phone looming in the foreground rang. The heidyin rushed over to answer it and it turned out to be a feckin ginormous phone, not a normal one in perspective.

Oh, the pantomime cow, as well!

The train landscape painting scene with the German linguaphone: My lederhosen are full of sauerkraut. Omar Sharif in the crushed car. Beep beep! Ridiculous... but hilarious. So many quotable lines - and that's after not seeing it for thirty years. Must watch again.

KnockKnock

Old-Salt
Just watched 'Champion' b/w1949. Kirk Douglas (Midge) portrays the pent up anger, we can have and have seen as young men, motivated by the attention of attractive women. Although I only once went to see Joe Bugner at the R Albert Hall, the seats so high up I could hardly see the blows. The fight scenes in the film were terrific! What a terrific actor! Wow, when he hit that locker in desperation! Screen play Carl Foreman and Director Mark Robson. 10/10

Last edited:

TamH70

MIA

About the Intruder scene:

“He was found in his hotel room impaled upon a large electrical device. Our surgeons did what they could but it took them two hours just to get the smile off his face.”

Kirkz

LE
The train landscape painting scene with the German linguaphone: My lederhosen are full of sauerkraut. Omar Sharif in the crushed car. Beep beep! Ridiculous... but hilarious. So many quotable lines - and that's after not seeing it for thirty years. Must watch again.
I know a little German...:mrgreen:

NSP

LE
Guess what I'm now going to be watching later...?

Kirkz

LE
It's totally bitchin' riding waves and blastin' pigeons

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Or you can watch the English remake called The Upside (2017) with Bryan Cranston and Kevin Hart.

(By all accounts the original French version was way better.)

Cheers,
Dan.
I quite enjoyed The Upside although it was wholly predictable. I note it's wiki entry states it is based on Intouchables. Might be my next watch.

The Gentlemen. Not bad. And Hugh Grant manages to speak like a normal person instead of a chinless wonder.

Oh, and more uses of "cunt" than my own gob!!
Ring fighter "Ernie, are you gettin in the ring or wot you black kunt?"

Ernie "Oiy, you cant say that it's racist!"

C.Farrell "Well to be fair Ernie you are black and a bit of a kunt so it's not racist. Now get in the ring you kunt."

Quite a few lines cracked me up in that film.

Wait! You forgot your phony dog poo......

I know a little German......

Classic.

Can't say I was over impressed.

<Spoiler alert>

General knows the rank and names of the blokes across a couple of battalions.
Shows a couple of Lance Jacks the maps and reveals they know the Germans top secret plans before sending them across no mans land.
They find milk and the lad fills his canteen.
The Germans can't hit a barn door including the sniper who shoots everything round him but him.
The baby needs the milk he conveniently found earlier.
The Germans miss him again.
He needs to find the regiment to deliver the message and thanks to the Germans again missing him he falls in the river which conveniently drops him off 5 feet from where he needs to be.
Wanders around the rear before a major attack with no rifle or kit and no one questions him.
He leaves the trench and runs across the top of it just as the attack starts and everyone gets shot but him.
Delivers the message

Gets told to go and get some breakfast by the officer - Bet he managed to get two sausages.
The film deserved an Oscar for the cinematography alone which if one disregards the plot holes is outstanding. The director needed a story line to match the one scene camera work and if viewed that way it was excellent.
It wasn’t a documentary :)

NSP

LE
I'm just at the point where he activates the magnetic mine in the laboratory and the U-boat comes through the wall.

Latest Threads