What film have you just watched?

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I'll be watching this again shortly,Channel 4,9.15 pm.

Watched that last night and a good, if somewhat strange, movie. The writer says he got the iodea from something similar that he had seen driving around the South.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
The Foreigner. Didn't get a cinema release over here near as I can make out (might have been very limited). I'd seen Jackie Chan in a serious role before- but for the life of me cannot remember what it was- and thought it was very good.
I mentioned this film earlier in this thread and liked it. As I said, it is good to see the IRA getting fecked up.

This is an absolute boster of a filum which I can very highly recommend:
It stars Jackie Chan, in one of his few serious roles, as an elderly, former special forces combat warrior in Vietnam, who now lives in London and runs a Chinese restaurant. When his beloved daughter is mistakenly killed by an IRA bomb, he goes looking for the culprits.

In addition, the filum stars Pierce Brosnan as a rather murky liaison officer with the IRA. You also get the rare chance of hearing him speak in his native Six Counties dialect. I'd only ever known him as James Bond and in a few Septic filums.

Enjoy!

MsG
Saw it last year and it is quite close to the book, for a change.

Saw it last year and it is quite close to the book, for a change.
Yeah it's very close to the book.

When a humble immigrant in a picturesque, chocolate box Oxfordshire village has his takeaway burnt down by militant NIMBYs, what they don't bank on is him being...

675688.jpg

"3 billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri" one of the best films for many years, the leading lady fully deserved her Oscar. An marvellous depiction of pent up frustration, hate and total bloody mindedness to get justice from a moribund, and somewhat laid back police force. Only in America does the scieniaro of death, arson and police insanity seem perfectly normal.

Kirkz

LE
"3 billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri" one of the best films for many years, the leading lady fully deserved her Oscar. An marvellous depiction of pent up frustration, hate and total bloody mindedness to get justice from a moribund, and somewhat laid back police force. Only in America does the scieniaro of death, arson and police insanity seem perfectly normal.
Watched it last night after recording it, great film with a few unexpected twists.
Took me ages to figure out where I'd seen the nasty copper until I remembered he played the loony in Green Mile.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
This is an absolute boster of a filum which I can very highly recommend:
It stars Jackie Chan, in one of his few serious roles, as an elderly, former special forces combat warrior in Vietnam, who now lives in London and runs a Chinese restaurant. When his beloved daughter is mistakenly killed by an IRA bomb, he goes looking for the culprits.

In addition, the filum stars Pierce Brosnan as a rather murky liaison officer with the IRA. You also get the rare chance of hearing him speak in his native Six Counties dialect. I'd only ever known him as James Bond and in a few Septic filums.

Enjoy!

MsG
not seen the long good friday then?

'WASP Network' (Netflix). Fairly decent cast including Penelope Cruz and that sad-looking bloke that played Pablo Escobar in Narcos. Based on the true story of Cuban spies sent to the US, ostensibly as defectors, to infiltrate anti-Castro organisations based in Miami in the 90's to try and stop the groups' attempts to bring down the regime by sabotaging the tourist industry. Bit convoluted in the middle and a slightly rushed/messy ending but a decent watch.

7 Fidels out of 10, Comrades.

Greyhound starring a somewhat geriatric-looking Tom Hanks. Knowing little about the Battle of the Atlantic, it seemed well done to me. I particularly liked the scenes of Greyhound (or Harry or.....) and the U boat blowing the shit out of each other at point blank range.

Bloody silly music played whenever Herman surfaced his boot, but all round a good movie.

NSP

LE
The Gentlemen. Not bad. And Hugh Grant manages to speak like a normal person instead of a chinless wonder.

Oh, and more uses of "cunt" than my own gob!!

syrup

LE
Can't say I was over impressed.

<Spoiler alert>

General knows the rank and names of the blokes across a couple of battalions.
Shows a couple of Lance Jacks the maps and reveals they know the Germans top secret plans before sending them across no mans land.
They find milk and the lad fills his canteen.
The Germans can't hit a barn door including the sniper who shoots everything round him but him.
The baby needs the milk he conveniently found earlier.
The Germans miss him again.
He needs to find the regiment to deliver the message and thanks to the Germans again missing him he falls in the river which conveniently drops him off 5 feet from where he needs to be.
Wanders around the rear before a major attack with no rifle or kit and no one questions him.
He leaves the trench and runs across the top of it just as the attack starts and everyone gets shot but him.
Delivers the message

Gets told to go and get some breakfast by the officer - Bet he managed to get two sausages.

The White Tiger . Fairly recent WW2 Russian film .
I'm no film critic , so I'll just say it's interesting , plus they get the kit about right , which is all that matters in a war film , though the CGI of a Tiger 1 is laughable
Worth a look , you can watch it free on Youtube

NSP

LE
The Beast. Arrogant twat of a tank commander orders a right when the rest of the column went left. Muj' and pissed-off dispossessed tank driver get their own back. Filmed in Israel using about five T-55s purchased from the IDF. Unlike most tank movies they used the actual T-55 interior rather than an oversized set for the inside scenes - complete with a supernumery in the loaders tiny space. There's a red starred Super Frelon provided by the Israelis posing as, I guess, a Mi-8. Seen it a few times before but was sober enough to spot a few things this time - like the commander mounting a moving T-55 from the side whilst it is underway (don't recall any sort of step there so if he stood on a road wheel he's asking to lose a leg) and when the Super Frelon is leaving the re-sup' the dust cloud from the tank is moving and then, in the long shot showing the heli' gaining distance and flying over the cam'd-up Muj', the cloud is static (i.e. a matt). Oh, and were T-55s fitted with a flame-thrower infront of the commander's cupola, even with the Israeli mods (like the upgunning to 105mmm)...? Grenades seem to be nukes when lobbed at Muj' but thunderflashes when they go off next to the Russians. And how come the booby-trapped misfire is undamaged but the Muj' who moved it and let the booby-trap grenade off is torn in half...?

On Deadly Ground. Steven Seagal Jap-slapping his way around Alaska. Opening scene: doing a Red Adair on a derrick. Flies in, takes off tasselled leather native-design jacket, pulls yellow nylon overalls over jeans and shirt, gets a five-second "briefing" and then grabs a wriggly-tin shield and walks up to a burning wellhead. Sets off the air-stealing charge when it's dangling miles from the fire and not actually in the burning vent-jet. I last watched this before I entered the oil industry and, coming on the back of Under Siege, thought "yeah - lots of bang and whizz and cool stunts, even if it's pants." I've got my spotter's head on now and am ripping holes in it.

PT109 when this dross is done - if I'm still conscious!

Last edited:
They've been showing Enigma on Freeview quite a bit recently. It's a fictionalised account of the whole Bletchley Park saga.

Kate Winslet (or the character she plays) is at her frumpiest, tortoiseshell rimmed goggles and she is packing a bit of timber. I'd totally do her.

The Beast. Arrogant twat of a tank commander orders a right when the rest of the column went left. Muj' and pissed-off dispossessed tank driver get their own back. Filmed in Israel using about five T-55s purchased from the IDF. Unlike most tank movies they used the actual T-55 interior rather than an oversized set for the inside scenes - complete with a supernumery in the loaders tiny space. There's a red starred Super Frelon provided by the Israelis posing as, I guess, a Mi-8. Seen it a few times before but was sober enough to spot a few things this time - like the commander mounting a moving T-55 from the side whilst it is underway (don't recall any sort of step there so if he stood on a road wheel he's asking to lose a leg) and when the Super Frelon is leaving the re-sup' the dust cloud from the tank is moving and then, in the long shot showing the heli' gaining distance and flying over the cam'd-up Muj', the cloud is static (i.e. a matt). Oh, and were T-55s fitted with a flame-thrower infront of the commander's cupola, even with the Israeli mods (like the upgunning to 105mmm)...? Grenades seem to be nukes when lobbed at Muj' but thunderflashes when they go off next to the Russians. And how come the booby-trapped misfire is undamaged but the Muj' who moved it and let the booby-trap grenade off is torn in half...?

PT109 when this dross is done - if I'm still conscious!
George Dzunda while he was still under 400 lbs

PT 109 isnt terrible has its moments

NSP

LE
George Dzunda while he was still under 400 lbs
It has to be said that, if at his Crimson Tide weight, I'd struggle to see him getting through the hatch of a T-55. Mind you, I'd struggle to see him getting through any submarine hatch, really...

Midway on Prime.

I saw the trailer and was a bit sceptical as it looked a bit like "Pearl Harbour" and in fairness there are some similarities, it has the same look and feel at times visually. However this is a much better film, not perfect, but nowhere as toe curling with the awful love story shash they added to get the ladies into the cinema.

The battle scenes are a bit overdone in places and the Zeroes attacking the US planes seemed a bit crammed together but It's a modern film and CGI can fill the frame with stuff you could never do with real aircraft so I don't hold it against them, it's how modern cinema is. It's creating a visual spectacle after all and they don't use stock footage.

The narrative for the Midway battle was not as in depth as I'd have hoped but they did manage to tell the story right from the Pearl Harbour attack, through the Doolittle raid and the Coral Sea battle beforehand, so kudos for fitting all that in to one film.

Worth a watch if you have a free afternoon/evening to kill.

Latest Threads