What film have you just watched?

NSP

LE
Just watched 1917. I know it had mixed reviews but I really enjoyed it - well not 'enjoy' as such, I feel exhausted to be honest! It's quite graphic in parts but still only hints at the true horror by all accounts of what it was actually like at the front.

It's a film I want to watch again when I've recovered enough.
Everyone seems far too clean from what I've seen in doco's that could be called the WWI equivelent of "The World At War," being the seminal series looking at WWII.

Greyhound , Wasn't bad at all.

The level of CGI at the beginning was more akin to a trailer for World of warships - very cartoonish - but I either got used to it or if the later the action sequences ie fast glances, darkness and bit of ship not wide panning shot of whole thing helped tone it down.

Greyhounds good, just the right length to get the time slots sorted. salt water shoes pinching ankles, ignoring the food to focus on enemy. The loss of Eagle showing the fight to save the ship.

Chimp

ADC
The Bofors Gun... again. Excellent cast and it gets under the skin.
1594570457702.png

Kirkz

LE
Watched Passengers last night, recorded from the other night.
Basically robinson Crusoe in space, but not a bad film and passed a couple of hours.

NSP

LE
Greyhound, since everyone on this thread is raving about it. Not bad. I see the screenplay was written by Hanks himself and based on "The Good Shepherd." Hopefully he's been reading HMS Ulysses, too...

I've just watched The Old Guard on Netflix, best two hours of my week. Charlize Theron leading a bunch of immortal mercenaries. The evil twin got me into the comic it is based on earlier this year, I didn't notice any deviation from the original source material and it had some pretty decent decent fight choreography.

Warning Content does require suspension of disbelief.
Watched this last night with Mrs Babbit. Very entertaining escapism, well done, with decent locations as well.

Jammy66

War Hero
Everyone seems far too clean from what I've seen in doco's that could be called the WWI equivelent of "The World At War," being the seminal series looking at WWII.
I actually thought this watching the film, although they do show a really mucky and grim shelled up landscape but it's still 'clean' I guess. There's one really grusome but kind of funny scene.

In Lisbon at the Army Museum there's a really stricking bronze sculpture of a gun carriage trying to make it's way through the mud in a WW1 battlefield, the horses look more distraught than the men. I have some photos I took of it somewhere.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I actually thought this watching the film, although they do show a really mucky and grim shelled up landscape but it's still 'clean' I guess. There's one really grusome but kind of funny scene.

In Lisbon at the Army Museum there's a really stricking bronze sculpture of a gun carriage trying to make it's way through the mud in a WW1 battlefield, the horses look more distraught than the men. I have some photos I took of it somewhere.
Screenshot_20200713-211644.png

This the one? Found it in the museum website. Looks like a good museum.

In_Twists

Old-Salt
I think the last film I watched was an oldie - Bridge at Remagen, only 'cos it was on TV at the right moment.

Time and time again I find myself wishing the Wermacht had been allowed to run the war the way the professionals wanted to, but then the world could be a different place now if they had. Ooer missus!

I think the last film I watched was an oldie - Bridge at Remagen, only 'cos it was on TV at the right moment.

Time and time again I find myself wishing the Wermacht had been allowed to run the war the way the professionals wanted to, but then the world could be a different place now if they had. Ooer missus!
George Segals character Lt Timmerman was based on this guy:

Just watched "Convoy" recorded from Talking Pictures. Quite a good yarn with pretty good model and back-projection. Manages to have a love triangle with a vaguely proto femininist message (in that the women expresses what she thinks and others accept it) and the Matelots and Officers don't sound too Chomolndey-Warnerish.

Convoy (1940 film) - Wikipedia

I notice that the wiki has been edited to empahasise that the ships scout plane is not a Swordfish. It clearly isn't but I'm not sure what it actually is. There are actually a couple of them.

ETA Might be this? Hawker Nimrod - Wikipedia

More likely this. Hawker Hart Osprey Variant- Wikipedia

Last edited:

NSP

LE
Just watched "Convoy" recorded from Talking Pictures. Quite a good yarn with pretty good model and back-projection. Manages to have a love triangle with a vaguely proto femininist message (in that the women expresses what she thinks and others accept it) and the Matelots and Officers don't sound too Chomolndey-Warnerish.

Convoy (1940 film) - Wikipedia

I notice that the wiki has been edited to empahasise that the ships scout plane is not a Swordfish. It clearly isn't but I'm not sure what it actually is. There are actually a couple of them.

ETA Might be this? Hawker Nimrod - Wikipedia

More likely this. Hawker Hart Osprey Variant- Wikipedia
There is only one "Convoy" and it stars a Septic country singer.

NSP

LE
By the by, "Triple Threat." Meh...

Just watched The Joneses on Amazon prime firestick. Starring Demi Moore and David Duchovny it's a rather strange tale of a family moving into a new neighbourhood and instantly becoming the centre of attention.
All is not what it seems however and not far into the 96 minutes the "daughter" is caught in "daddy's" bed by "mummy".
The plot quickly unfolds into quite an enjoyable film.

Coogans Bluff......for about the 6th time,really enjoyed early scenes,striding round New York in full Arizona rig.