What film have you just watched?

Having a bit of a Sci-Fi "B" movie session, started with "Forbidden Planet", then the original "The Day the Earth stood still" (Klaatu barada nikto!), finished off with Rachel Welch in "Fantastic Voyage".

Later I'm planning to watch "Last Breath", a fantastic docu-drama about the saturation divers in the North sea. The first part is interviews with the crew and video footage shot by one of the divers, who is later involved in an incident on the sea floor when the position-keeping system on the dive vessel fails and it starts to drift. At one point the entire ship is effectively "anchored" by this bloke and his dive suit umbilical.

I've used this film at work as a classic example of "what can go wrong, will", and how you should understand everything that could go wrong.

I'll let you find the ending out for yourself.
Last Breath is excellent indeed.

Stabwedge

Clanker
‘Marvellous’ with Toby Young. Absolutely marvellous. Watched it with my wife and then again with my son.
Made by the BBC. Thoroughly recommend it.
It’s the true story of Neil Baldwin from Stoke on Trent, the people he has met and the influences he has had on those around him. Bit hard to describe without telling what happens. Very good.

Last edited:
‘Marvellous’ with Toby Young. Absolutely marvellous. Watched it with my wife and then again with my son.
Made by the BBC. Thoroughly recommend it.
It’s the true story of Neil Baldwin from Stoke on Trent, the people he has met and the influences he has had on those around him. Bit hard to describe without telling what happens. Very good.
I saw it the first time around and watched it again last week. Brilliant TV and a brilliant actor. Even though I'd seen it before it still got a trifle dusty in Mush towers that night

Stabwedge

Clanker
I saw it the first time around and watched it again last week. Brilliant TV and a brilliant actor. Even though I'd seen it before it still got a trifle dusty in Mush towers that night
Yep, I think someone was chopping onions here.

Chimp

ADC
1594121694976.png

This is a very, very dark film. It is difficult to put into any category. Elements of black comedy and slasher horror abound, but at its heart it is a psychological investigation of insanity. I thought it was utterly brilliant. The cast speaks for itself and once again Reynolds was excellent and Kendrick superb in a supporting role. Not an easy watch though.

The Reckoning. Revenge flick set in Liverpool. A bit Get Carter-y, but made a couple of years earlier. Worth a watch.

Trans-sane

LE
Book Reviewer
View attachment 487845
This is a very, very dark film. It is difficult to put into any category. Elements of black comedy and slasher horror abound, but at its heart it is a psychological investigation of insanity. I thought it was utterly brilliant. The cast speaks for itself and once again Reynolds was excellent and Kendrick superb in a supporting role. Not an easy watch though.
Watched up until it becomes clear where the voices are coming from (I know. Not very far in) and.thoyght the jockanese ginger was excellent.

A couple of Scandinavian Comedies.
Swedish. The Hundred Year Old Man, who climbed out of the window and Disappeared. Laughed my socks off, no idea who were the actors, director, producer or crew. Well worth a look am now reading the book.

Icelandic, Euro Vision, crap duo make the big time by accident and scullduggery bribing Elves with whisky and sweets. Again socks laughed off, dunno who stared or made it.

Both a good chuckle { whisky and sweets help}

CFB

Kirkz

LE
View attachment 487845
I really like the sound of that, but I ******* hate Ryan Reynolds so that puts me off a bit.

Chimp

ADC
I really like the sound of that, but I ******* hate Ryan Reynolds so that puts me off a bit.
But think about Anna Kendrick (topless). Reynolds is perfect in the role - not his smirky usual self and you actually have sympathy for him until...

Kirkz

LE
But think about Anna Kendrick (topless). Reynolds is perfect in the role - not his smirky usual self and you actually have sympathy for him until...
When you say topless is she missing her upper body?

Chimp

ADC
Morning All,
'The Patrol' on 'YouTube'. A British Army patrol in Afghanistan get a bit moody.
I think a fair bit of the film might hit home at various times.
Screenshot_20200708-015645_YouTube.jpg

Currently watching "The Outpost" on Streaming.

"True" story of Red platoon- a cavalry scout outpost Keating in Afghanistan. Eastwood plays SFC Clinton Romesha MoH

Scott Eastwood
Orlando Bloom (And he dont look like a youngster anymore)
Sons of Mick Jagger, Mel Gibson and Richard Attenborough's grandson

Pretty good so far

Just watched The King's Choice a Norwegian film about the German invasion of Norway in WW2. Really enjoyed it despite the subtitles dunno how historically accurate but certainly a good watch

Just finished watching Dutch WW2 drama Resistance Banker.
True story of a Dutch Banker who funded the Dutch Resistance during the occupation.
5 out of 5 I thought it was brilliant.

TamH70

MIA
Early morning chiller today, "The Medusa Touch", starring Richard Burton, Lee Remick, Harry Andrews, and a whole lot of other either future stars or top-notch character actors.

BigT

LE
I've just watched The Old Guard on Netflix, best two hours of my week. Charlize Theron leading a bunch of immortal mercenaries. The evil twin got me into the comic it is based on earlier this year, I didn't notice any deviation from the original source material and it had some pretty decent decent fight choreography.

Warning Content does require suspension of disbelief.

Last edited:

NSP

LE
I've just watched The Old Guard on Netflix, best two hours of my week. Charlize Theron leading a bunch of immortal mercenaries. The evil twin got me into the comic it is based on earlier this year, I didn't notice any deviation from the original source material and it had some pretty decent decent fight choreography.

Ha! I watched that tonight, too. Pure escapism.

So basically Highlander in reverse? Only with females.

Latest Threads