What film have you just watched?

exspy

LE
Alien Covenant. A sequel to Prometheus,
Did you ever figure out who or what those white aliens were? Especially the one who drank something then broke up into a gazillion pieces?

On the other hand, Noomi Rapace can run around in her underwear anytime she likes.

TamH70

MIA
Did you ever figure out who or what those white aliens were? Especially the one who drank something then broke up into a gazillion pieces?

On the other hand, Noomi Rapace can run around in her underwear anytime she likes.

Oh, you sweet, sweet, sweet summer children, that willingly put yourself through that crap sandwich, and ate it to the crusts.

I have not, and these videos from another drunken Scotsman are some of the reasons why:

- which eviscerates Prometheus

- which guts Covenant. And no, I'm not calling it by what that over-rated hack Scott wants me to call it as it is in no way a ******* Alien film.

The videos explain what the white aliens were, their role in the franchise, and just how dumb as a bunch of rocks they eventually turned out to be. They are the Engineers, supposedly humanity's creators and one of the many species that wants to wipe us out.

Oh, you sweet, sweet, sweet summer children, that willingly put yourself through that crap sandwich, and ate it to the crusts.

I have not, and these videos from another drunken Scotsman are some of the reasons why:

- which eviscerates Prometheus

- which guts Covenant. And no, I'm not calling it by what that over-rated hack Scott wants me to call it as it is in no way a ******* Alien film.

The videos explain what the white aliens were, their role in the franchise, and just how dumb as a bunch of rocks they eventually turned out to be. They are the Engineers, supposedly humanity's creators and one of the many species that wants to wipe us out.

Naah It'll be fine....

Slight drift.
"In conversation with Derren Nesbit" to be found on youtube
Brilliant (if hand held) recording where he spends the entire show talking about Where Eagles Dare.
Generous and charming stories about Burton , Eastwood and incidents/events during filming- and not an unpleasant dig at anyone to be heard

Last edited:
Having a bit of a Sci-Fi "B" movie session, started with "Forbidden Planet", then the original "The Day the Earth stood still" (Klaatu barada nikto!), finished off with Rachel Welch in "Fantastic Voyage".

Later I'm planning to watch "Last Breath", a fantastic docu-drama about the saturation divers in the North sea. The first part is interviews with the crew and video footage shot by one of the divers, who is later involved in an incident on the sea floor when the position-keeping system on the dive vessel fails and it starts to drift. At one point the entire ship is effectively "anchored" by this bloke and his dive suit umbilical.

I've used this film at work as a classic example of "what can go wrong, will", and how you should understand everything that could go wrong.

I'll let you find the ending out for yourself.

One for the Old and Bold … last night I watched again “ The Blue Lamp” ... I have it on DVD and it is a good crisp copy . Set and filmed in post WW2 London still with bombed out areas and streets virtually empty of cars . Famous at the time because a long served PC Dixon played by Jack Warner is shot and killed by a criminal played by Dirk Bogarde . The climax of the film takes place in the White City Greyhound Stadium . As a result of cooperation with members of the criminal world reviled by the shooting the Bookmakers Tic Tac system is used to identify in which part of the Stadium the killer is hiding .

I enjoyed it ... well made … good story line … good acting … and a bit of a trip down memory lane to a country so different from today ... some charming scenes including a ragamuffin Queenie with her " No " and " My dad tells me all Coppers are B.. " . I had forgotten the Police wearing striped sleeve bands to indicate they were on duty . On a personal note there is a short scene in which PC Dixon when leaving the Police Station and going on duty picks up his Cape …. I once had the Frog on one of those hit my ear when swung by a Copper to encourage a very young B_R and friends not to lark about in a cemetery at night .

ETA found this clip on YouTube of when PC George Dixon gets shot dead .... a capital offence at the time ...

... he was later reincarnated for a long career in Dixon of Dock Green

Last edited:
Morning All,
'World War 4' on 'YouTube'.
Interesting take on the build up to the last big bang using actual footage throughout. Acting bits a tad mediocre I thought but enjoyed it on the whole.
This came up 2nd on end credits, after the Producer's name.
View attachment 486159
If I had a hat on, I'd take it off to them.
Cod 'human interest' aspect aside, it reminded me a bit of The Day After - but with better cinematography. All too plausible.

The Outpost. 2020.

From IMBD:
The Outpost depicts the battle of Outpost Keating, known as the Battle of Kamdesh, which took place on October 3rd 2009, close to the border with Pakistan in Afghanistan. The Outpost itself was located on the bend of a river in a valley, completely overlooked by high mountains on all sides. It was simply put, a nightmare to defend and a prime target to over run. So it would be that 300 Taliban fighters would attempt to do just that over two fateful days that October.

The wife and I watched it and enjoyed it for what represented, one of the largest attacks on a U.S base and a firefight that resulted in two Medal of Honor recipients.

Not the greatest war film out there but nor is it anywhere close to being the worst but deffo worth a watch.

Slight drift.
"In conversation with Derren Nesbit" to be found on youtube
Brilliant (if hand held) recording where he spends the entire show talking about Where Eagles Dare.
Generous and charming stories about Burton , Eastwood and incidents/events during filming- and not an unpleasant dig at anyone to be heard

Always remember him from the Blue Max

... he was later reincarnated for a long career in Dixon of Dock Green
Although it had it's harmonica theme to the series, Jack Warner released a theme song...........

" I'm just an ordinary copper, patrolling my beat aaaaarand Dock Green,
Hello there Mr. Dixon, says the kids in the street, aaaaaaarand Dock Green" etc. etc. All very cockney accented.

If you like these you'll probably enjoy 'Dirty Money'/'The Great Riviera Bank Robber' starring Ian McShane.
Based on s true story of disaffected French Army/OAS? types doing a bank job.

Only seen it twice (long time ago) but seem to recall a good jailbreak on a Kawasaki Z900 too.
A bit like Ronin (albeit that is fictional), and without Sean Bean in a what colour is the boathouse scene?

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
I watched Once upon a time in London last night.
Supposedly based on a true story, well you can’t take everything for granted can you? The story of how The East End was ruled by gangs and the war between Billy Hill and Jack Spott.
Spott apparently beat up his Sergeant during training when he was called up for the war and was discharged as mentally unsuitable.
Very violent but it made a change from American gangster films, they were very careful not to murder anyone as the rope was a deterrent but that didn’t stop them slashing and cutting ears off their victims.
Available on Netflix and it showed the darker side of London during the thirties up till when Billy called it a day and The Krays took over.
Recommend for late night viewing.
These films do annoy me though for glamourising these slags, a young Frankie Frasier started his career off with these lot but I suppose it’s what happened and the good old days weren’t really as good as you think.

Last edited:

Issi

War Hero
I watched 12 Years a Slave last night. What a great film. I would definitely recommend it.
Last Saturday was Get Out, another excellent film.

Morning All,
'World War 4' on 'YouTube'.
Interesting take on the build up to the last big bang using actual footage throughout. Acting bits a tad mediocre I thought but enjoyed it on the whole.
This came up 2nd on end credits, after the Producer's name.
View attachment 486159
If I had a hat on, I'd take it off to them.
Eerie, I watched World War III last night (only available on archive.org) a two part made for TV (over three hours long). National Guard exercise in Alaska get caught up in a Soviet plot to blow up an oil pipeline to blackmail the USA into lifting grain-import embargo against the Soviet Union.
Will now have to watch World War 4 now. Is there a World War 5?

Eerie, I watched World War III last night (only available on archive.org) a two part made for TV (over three hours long). National Guard exercise in Alaska get caught up in a Soviet plot to blow up an oil pipeline to blackmail the USA into lifting grain-import embargo against the Soviet Union.
Will now have to watch World War 4 now. Is there a World War 5?
I was very dissapointed by WW III. Not enough WW III in it. Just a few minutes (if that) at the end.

sunny james

War Hero
If you like these you'll probably enjoy 'Dirty Money'/'The Great Riviera Bank Robber' starring Ian McShane.
Based on s true story of disaffected French Army/OAS? types doing a bank job.

Only seen it twice (long time ago) but seem to recall a good jailbreak on a Kawasaki Z900 too.
Billed as "Sewers of Gold" on YouTube

I watched it a couple of nights ago. Hatton Garden meets the Jackal/Ronin in the style of The Professionals/Sweeney. ITC productions did some good stuff. Enjoyed.

"You must be joking"
A varied selection of Army personnel undertake a initiative test to find various odd items in London. Some well known faces in the cast, and nice shots of London in the 60's

Slime

LE
Having a bit of a Sci-Fi "B" movie session, started with "Forbidden Planet", then the original "The Day the Earth stood still" (Klaatu barada nikto!), finished off with Rachel Welch in "Fantastic Voyage".

Later I'm planning to watch "Last Breath", a fantastic docu-drama about the saturation divers in the North sea. The first part is interviews with the crew and video footage shot by one of the divers, who is later involved in an incident on the sea floor when the position-keeping system on the dive vessel fails and it starts to drift. At one point the entire ship is effectively "anchored" by this bloke and his dive suit umbilical.

I've used this film at work as a classic example of "what can go wrong, will", and how you should understand everything that could go wrong.

I'll let you find the ending out for yourself.
Check out:
First man into space.
Devil girl from Mars
Robinson Crusoe on Mars
Gorgo
The Damned

And for absolute B movie glory at its worst: Plan nine from outer space.

ETA. The original black and white Little shop of horrors isn’t too bad, and it’s on Youtube.

Latest Threads