What film have you just watched?

Peterloo. Stereotypesville, but not too bad. Historical accuracy? Over-egged to the point of being an omelette rather than custard in all probability. Still... it was free.

Blitz with Jason Statham playing a London copper with, no cancel that. Jason Statham plays Jason Statham in the role of a London copper who has a dark history (heavy sigh - don't they all) who has to work with an openly gay superior officer (well at least something original) to track down a killer who has a penchant for knocking off police officers. Plot holes abound but don't overthink it as it just gets in the way of filling in time. I won't be viewing it again.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
If only running through a whole chain of PROM-1 were that easy.
Every day a college day....as I watched that sequence I was literally thinking:

' stop, wait....each of those mines carries a payload of steel ball bearings......he'd have been SHREDDED by now '

...and then I gave my head a wobble and said

' Meh....Hollywood'

I switched over in time to see Daniel Craig shooting down a slow helicopter from a fast moving RIB with a 9mm......

PS

For @eodmatt - in appreciation of his avatar

Original source : Cambodian man kept live land mines as yard decorations

Last edited:
I've just watched another classic:

MV5BYzY5ZjU2YjctMDkwNi00YzNhLWEwMTctZWRlMzJiNmFmM2IxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjI4MjA5MzA@._V1_.jpg

Morning All,
'World War 4' on 'YouTube'.
Interesting take on the build up to the last big bang using actual footage throughout. Acting bits a tad mediocre I thought but enjoyed it on the whole.
This came up 2nd on end credits, after the Producer's name.
Screenshot_20200629-104846_Photos.jpg

If I had a hat on, I'd take it off to them.

I've watched today a NZ horror film - The Devil's Rock. The premise sounds like a warning not to watch: two NZ Commandos raid a small island in the Channel Islands as part of decoy on 5th June, to distract the German attention from Normandy. Once ashore, they discover a German bunker/tunnel complex, where a small team of SS has tried - you guessed it - to harness the power of the occult.
Despite that premise, the film is very good - it has a good script, capable and serious actors, and high production values. The contextual detail in the script stands up v well.
I'm a fan of the first 'Outpost' film and this is, being honest, a better/more convincing film, with some genuinely horrific moments.

I've watched today a NZ horror film - The Devil's Rock. The premise sounds like a warning not to watch: two NZ Commandos raid a small island in the Channel Islands as part of decoy on 5th June, to distract the German attention from Normandy. Once ashore, they discover a German bunker/tunnel complex, where a small team of SS has tried - you guessed it - to harness the power of the occult.
Despite that premise, the film is very good - it has a good script, capable and serious actors, and high production values. The contextual detail in the script stands up v well.
I'm a fan of the first 'Outpost' film and this is, being honest, a better/more convincing film, with some genuinely horrific moments.
Morning @Red Hander,
Cheers. Saw it a while back but couldn't think of the name. I did enjoy it though and agree with you, ref: 'The Outpost'.

NSP

LE
The Courier. Olga Kurylenko kicks the crap out of a horde of "ex-SF" mercenary types, as she attempts to protect a witness in a multistorey car park. Plenty of ass-kicking fun but plenty of wooden crap, too - I could look more like I know the colour of the boathouse than this lot.

Oh, and apparently this (or something very similar-looking) is an M82 "precision" rifle "firing a 51 calibre round" of mystic armour-shattering properties:-

An actual M82:-

Watched "The day of the jackal" last night, and "The battle of Algiers" this morning. I never tire of watching the DOTJ, having originally watched it when I was about 12 years old, it remains one of my favourite films of all time. The Algiers film is very good in that it tells both sides of the story, it is of its time (mid `60s) but still very watchable.

The day of the jackal is on youtube in segments.... The day of the jackal

The battle of Algiers is also on youtube.... The battle of Algiers
If you like these you'll probably enjoy 'Dirty Money'/'The Great Riviera Bank Robber' starring Ian McShane.
Based on s true story of disaffected French Army/OAS? types doing a bank job.

Only seen it twice (long time ago) but seem to recall a good jailbreak on a Kawasaki Z900 too.

Just watched The Perfect Host, brilliant dark comedy on Amazon Prime.

A wanted injured criminal seeks sanctuary and bluffs his way into a house after going through the mail box and reading a postcard owned by Warwick. Warwick takes in his story of him losing his luggage at the airport having flown in from Australia where he had met Julia a friend of Warwicks.
Starring David Hyde Pierce who played Niles in Frasier this is a great film with an ending I never saw coming, actually I didn’t see a lot of what happened coming.
Great acting by Pierce, it made me laugh, watch it you won’t be disappointed.
Thanks, I watched on your recommendation and it is a cracker.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer

slick

LE
If you like these you'll probably enjoy 'Dirty Money'/'The Great Riviera Bank Robber' starring Ian McShane.
Based on s true story of disaffected French Army/OAS? types doing a bank job.

Only seen it twice (long time ago) but seem to recall a good jailbreak on a Kawasaki Z900 too.
I saw that one a while back, can`t remember what channel it was on though. Yes indeed the finale on the kwacker was excellent :)

Alien Covenant. Film 4 - wednesday

A sequel to Prometheus, prequel to Alien. Dull, portentous and too much philosophizing about the nature of creation, Satan and life itself. Not a damn fine ghost story like Alien, or a superlative shoot-em-up like Aliens. It's just a mishmash of ideas

TamH70

MIA
The Courier. Olga Kurylenko kicks the crap out of a horde of "ex-SF" mercenary types, as she attempts to protect a witness in a multistorey car park. Plenty of ass-kicking fun but plenty of wooden crap, too - I could look more like I know the colour of the boathouse than this lot.

Oh, and apparently this (or something very similar-looking) is an M82 "precision" rifle "firing a 51 calibre round" of mystic armour-shattering properties:-

Top picture looks like an M24 SWS, or Sniper Weapon System, based on the Remington Model 700 long action receiver variant.

NSP

LE
Top picture looks like an M24 SWS, or Sniper Weapon System, based on the Remington Model 700 long action receiver variant.
Yes, it is. It also looks remarkably similar to the one the protagonist was describing as I described in the dubiously-acted actioner referred to above. It may or may not have been the same model, or even from the same range (pun intended) as the M24 - the point was that it was something about half the size of what it was described as.

In fact, if it wasn't for Olga it'd be fit for pound-shops only. Not even Gary Oldman as the OCG boss saves it. He must have been needing to treat his mum to a new bungalow or fancied a bigger swimming pool or something. Can't think why he'd have signed on for it otherwise.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer

Is " 51 calibre" by any chance some non-armourer's version of 'That bit better' ?

NSP

LE
Is " 51 calibre" by any chance some non-armourer's version of 'That bit better' ?
Buggered if I know. Is the bore of the M82 25.5" long? The scriptwriter might have been being rather subtle, knowingly or otherwise, if so...

Latest Threads