Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What film have you just watched?

Which was just one film, and he worked on all of Sergio Leones films. 60 odd or something (can't be arrsed to look it up), so the bill paying thing seems unlikley to me, and also remember that contextually, a full orchestration on a Spag Western would have been frankly weird, when you consider the theme of the film, the sparce dialogue and intertwining back stories. He probably did do them to pay bills, because nothing in life is free, and it seems that you are suggesting that someone you hold very in high regard, would stoop to churn out dog shit just to afford beans from Salisburys. Can you see how that is sending a mixed message?

ETA don't say a bad word about Clint. He is an excellent actor/director/producer

Just my opinion morsk, no need to get all upset about it.
By the way, I cannot recollect saying anything bad about Clint Eastwood so why mention it?
And if I do want to say something bad about him then I will.

NSP

LE
The big Hollywood style war films have loads of effects and get the historical details all wrong...

The re-enactor style budget films are the other way round - they get the little historical details right but lack a plot, specials effects, decent storyline etc etc...
Aye - that's about the size of it.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Just watching Casablanca for the umpteenth time. One of the film's that was aged to start with so does not grow old! The best lines are from Claude Raines as the police chief Capt Renault.

syrup

LE
I need a bit of help with a film.

Im trying to remember the name of a film, and a quick plot google hasn’t helped.

I’m sure I’ve seen it mentioned on ARRSE, so here goes.

I haven’t seen all of this film, but did get to watch a short section a few minutes long.
From memory it’s British, black and white, and late fifties to early sixties.

I think the plot revolves around a group that are reformed criminals or bank robbers, and (again from memory) there is a scene showing a bank job/safe job with a couple of the reformed criminals with lots of cash around them. The dilemma being whether to stay straight or not.

The film seemed to be a comedy in a similar fashion to The lady killers or School for Scoundrels.

Any ideas?

Crooks Anonymous?

Leslie Phillips is Forsdyke, a pathological petty thief subjects himself to a strict correction course run by a wealthy ex-con Widdowes and his Crooks Anonymous organization.
Forsdyke's young and innocent girlfriend Babette, holds the hopes for his recovery and promises that she'll marry him if he'll reform. However,
Forsdyke loses control when he's locked in a department store over Christmas and they all end up round the safe debating whether to rob it or not

Leslie Phillips, Stanley Baxter, Julie Christie, James Robertson Justice and Wilfrid Hyde White are your main cast backed by all the other blokes from all the other British films in that period

Just watching Casablanca for the umpteenth time. One of the film's that was aged to start with so does not grow old! The best lines are from Claude Raines as the police chief Capt Renault.
I have a DVD copy .... digitally enhanced I think ... superb film ... good story line and music score ... full of memorable one liners which have withstood the test of time ... real acting and of course Ingrid Bergman who just radiates style ... as you can gather I too am a bit of a fan .

I have just finished watching this:

220px-Serpico_imp.jpg

First time I have watched it since (probably) 1975 or so. Still very good and, obviously, prompted some internet research of the original Mr Serpico.

Slime

LE
Crooks Anonymous?

Leslie Phillips is Forsdyke, a pathological petty thief subjects himself to a strict correction course run by a wealthy ex-con Widdowes and his Crooks Anonymous organization.
Forsdyke's young and innocent girlfriend Babette, holds the hopes for his recovery and promises that she'll marry him if he'll reform. However,
Forsdyke loses control when he's locked in a department store over Christmas and they all end up round the safe debating whether to rob it or not

Leslie Phillips, Stanley Baxter, Julie Christie, James Robertson Justice and Wilfrid Hyde White are your main cast backed by all the other blokes from all the other British films in that period

Brilliant :)

Just ordered it on DVD.

Check out Talking Pictures
They have an excellent range of British Comedy's from the 50's and 60's
Agreed .... and some good films in general .... and earlier .... currently watching " SS San Demetrio London " set during WW2 ... in fact made during WW2 ... based on fact and what happened to the vessel when it was in a Convoy attacked by the Admiral Scheer .

Last edited:

syrup

LE
Agreed .... and some good films in general .... and earlier .... currently watching " SS San Demetrio London " set during WW2 ... in fact made during WW2 ... based on fact and what happened to the vessel when it was in a Convoy attacked by the Admiral Scheer .

Some excellent films in their IWM collection and the look at life film as well.
Cracker about the RAF "Timepiece" made in the late 60's basically showing the sun not setting on the Empire and one on freight being moved on the railway

Truxx

LE
The Brothers Grimsby.

Truly dire but laugh out loud funny in places as long as you like slapstick. Hated by the critics, loved by the viewing public.

Me?

It was so bad it was good.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
The Brothers Grimsby.

Truly dire but laugh out loud funny in places as long as you like slapstick. Hated by the critics, loved by the viewing public.

Me?

It was so bad it was good.
D'accord.

@syrup because Mrs B_R has had to self isolate I have been looking at lots of old films on YouTube and have come across some gems about the UK Railways in the 50's 60's made by BTF ... the one below with its poetic commentary could well be based on the famous 1936 " Night Mail " in which W H Auden's poem is read as part of the commentary ....

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Behind Enemy Lines - again

Owen Wilson as a downed F-18 aviator having a very bad Christmas Day over Bosnia

Gene Hackman as his grouchy Admiral being bamboozled by the French.

Quite a political film for the time...oblique references to Srebrenizca massacre (by the Serbs, you know, the ones who are whinging about the hardship of their lives on another thread?) of 8,000 Muslim civilians.

( At HQ Land 2000-03, I met a number of colleagues who were still VERY angry about their time in Boz...)

And if I do want to say something bad about him then I will

:-D Is that Yorkshire for 'oo yanked your chain anyway ?'

Last edited:

Slime

LE

Owen Wilson as a downed F-18 aviator having a very bad Christmas Day over Bosnia

Quite a political film for the time...oblique references to Srebrenizca massacre (by the Serbs, you know, the ones who are whinging about the hardship of their lives on another thread?) of 8,000 Muslim civilians.

( At HQ Land 2000-03, I met a number of colleagues who were still VERY angry about their time in Boz...)

After seeing the thread you refer to I looked up:
What is Serbia famous for.

I think some English village fates have more to be proud of.

Truxx

LE

If only running through a whole chain of PROM-1 were that easy.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Just watched The Perfect Host, brilliant dark comedy on Amazon Prime.

A wanted injured criminal seeks sanctuary and bluffs his way into a house after going through the mail box and reading a postcard owned by Warwick. Warwick takes in his story of him losing his luggage at the airport having flown in from Australia where he had met Julia a friend of Warwicks.
Starring David Hyde Pierce who played Niles in Frasier this is a great film with an ending I never saw coming, actually I didn’t see a lot of what happened coming.
Great acting by Pierce, it made me laugh, watch it you won’t be disappointed.

Last edited:
The Disaster Artist, a biopic/homage to the seminal bad movie The Room.

Reminiscent of the film Ed Wood where they explore the making of what has become a cult classic because it's so bad it's good, well worth watching for a laugh at least.

Worth a look if you're familiar with the source material and they do a side by side of certain scenes so you can form a comparison.
This they got spot on except the original film has much better acting. The redone scenes are portrayed by actors trying to act bad and it shows and to be fair the acting in the original is much less toe curling . . . . . for the most part.

The worst part is it makes me want to watch The Room now.

Eta; watch to the end of the credits of you want to see the real Tommy Wiseau.