What film have you just watched?

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
American Made. Fcuk me the yanks were/are a bunch of utter bellends. They don't do themselves any favours with the weapons levels of twattery. I know we've played some foreign relations blinders over the years but the yanks seem to take it to levels beyond daft.

Use civvies in totally deniable entities to fly recce missions over central america, then get involved in the emerging drugs cartel smuggling business, then add in smuggling massive amounts of weapons to various central american terrorist organisations, then combine all of that into a oner. When it all goes to rat shit explodes in your face, do some dodgy covering up & play your own law enforcement organisations off against each other. Then try to carry on as before. Act all horrified when it goes tits up & Oliver North spills the beans. Or not.

Worth a watch, Cruise is good as the doomed Barry Seal. Have a quick google after the film & see what really went on. Fook me.
I watched it, enjoyed it too, not a great fan of TC, but that was a hoot.
The guy playing Reagan had him spot on.......:)

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
The Foreigner with Jackie Chan and Pierce Brosnan. Chan playing a serious role for a change as an ex US army special forces in London whose daughter is killed by a bomb set by the Alternative IRA who want to reopen the fight. Brosnan plays a McGuinness type character whilst looking like Gerry Adams.

A good old fashioned shoot me up film which is nowhere like reality but the main reason for liking it is watching the IRA getting fücked over and owned.

The Foreigner with Jackie Chan and Pierce Brosnan. Chan playing a serious role for a change as an ex US army special forces in London whose daughter is killed by a bomb set by the Alternative IRA who want to reopen the fight. Brosnan plays a McGuinness type character whilst looking like Gerry Adams.

A good old fashioned shoot me up film which is nowhere like reality but the main reason for liking it is watching the IRA getting fücked over and owned.
I've seen that one, much better than I expected. Well, I think describing the Royal Irish as Special Forces was stretching it a bit...

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I've seen that one, much better than I expected. Well, I think describing the Royal Irish as Special Forces was stretching it a bit...
To be fair he said he was RIR and did a couple of tours in SF.

'First Kill' on Netflix with Bruce Willis.
New York rich bloke takes his son and (incredibly-annoying) wife back to his roots in Hickville so he can take the son hunting in an attempt to toughen him up, as he's bullied at school. Bruce plays Sheriff of Hickville and the plot revolves around $2m robbed from a local bank, good cops, bent cops, kidnappers, the dad amazingly turning into Carlos Hathcock and the son finally growing a pair.
When I saw it I thought "Bruce Willis films are generally ok, I'll give it a go..". This one proved the exception.

NSP

LE
Bruce Willis films were generally ok
FoC.

He's become a bit-part actor in any low-rent STDVD actioner these days. Has been for yonks, with only the odd rehash of John McLean putting him on top billing.

That being said, Precious Cargo is not too shabby - but that's down to the main cast. Brucie's only on screen for about the time it takes to let off a decent room-clearer fart.

'They Who Dare' - (1954) Dirk Bogarde and a host of Brit stalwarts, many of whom stayed in the industry and were to be seen in a myriad of both film and tv productions. It's been on Freeview a number of times in this year alone, which brings me to my point...................

This occasion caused me to scrutinise the casting and notice they had a technical advisor. The film is loosely based on 'Op Anglo' - a waterborne insertion, to destroy two German airfields in Greece and which the 'technical advisor' participated in. A sound enough adventure story.

David Sutherland provided the technical injects ( though you'll wince in several instances ) and careerwise , became CO of 21 Artists Rifles / SAS in the early '70's having been with the Security Service rising to Head of Station in Pakistan.

@QRK2 ; @Whiskybreath

sunny james

War Hero
Watched "The Good, The Bad & The Ugly" last night on Sky 1... reminded me how good viewing the old Spaghetti Westerns were... favourite clip where Blondie (Clint E) has the hang man's rope in his rifle sights about to cut down 'Shorty Larson' when the greasy Gringo Tuco interrupts the proceedings by sticking a Colt .45 in Blondie's ear ... Blondie: "And Shorty?" - Tuco shakes his greasy head - Shorty is hung and Blondie replies: "Sorry, Shorty!" :D Class!
Watched it last night on YouTube. Extended edition looked very good. 2 hrs 58 min.
Eli Wallach steals every scene for me.

Started watching Jackie Chans latest "Bleeding Steel" but gave up after 10 minutes. I think he has a stand in for the fight scenes these days. Maybe on the old Botox as well. Also on YouTube. He was good in "The Foreigner" though.

CO of 21 Artists Rifles / SAS in the early '70's
Mid-late 50s according to his entry in the encyclopaedia which shall not be named, and Deputy Comd Group (Col) during my time. Krill-level Tpr(V) WB didn't know him. He certainly never bought me an ale, the mean bugger.

Westfront 1918 - Made in Germany in 1930 by Ufa Film. Kind of along the same lines as "All Quiet on the Western Front" Not a Tommy or Yank to be seen, but there are plenty of French peegs and Renault tanks to make life difficult for our German infantry company.

A group of German infantrymen of the First World War live out their lives in the trenches of France. They find brief entertainment and relief in a village behind the lines, but primarily terror fills their lives as the attacks on and from the French army ebb and flow. One of the men, Karl, goes home on leave only to discover the degradation forced on his family by wartime poverty. He returns to the lines in time to face an enormous attack by French tanks.

View attachment 477166View attachment 477167View attachment 477168View attachment 477169
Watched it a couple of days ago. Slow by modern standards but still very good. I would imagine that there were actors and crew involved in the film who had done it for real a dozen years earlier.

I did find it interesting in the last few battle scenes that both sides were throwing grenades around by the bucket load. I had read that by late in the war the grenade was the preferred weapon for CQB and trench clearing.

I guess the military advisor for the movie knew his stuff.

One scene was quite well done - towards the end, as one of the soldiers lies in the field hospital, the camera is focussed on his face. Slowly the canera angle and lighting changes so that his hair and eyes fall into deep shadow with only the white skin on his forehead, cheeks and jaw show up. The effect is to turn his face into a macabre living skull. Quite effective.

Worth a watch if you like old movies.

Watched it a couple of days ago. Slow by modern standards but still very good. I would imagine that there were actors and crew involved in the film who had done it for real a dozen years earlier.

I did find it interesting in the last few battle scenes that both sides were throwing grenades around by the bucket load. I had read that by late in the war the grenade was the preferred weapon for CQB and trench clearing.

I guess the military advisor for the movie knew his stuff.

One scene was quite well done - towards the end, as one of the soldiers lies in the field hospital, the camera is focussed on his face. Slowly the canera angle and lighting changes so that his hair and eyes fall into deep shadow with only the white skin on his forehead, cheeks and jaw show up. The effect is to turn his face into a macabre living skull. Quite effective.

Worth a watch if you like old movies.
@Ruckerwocman
I too have now watched it and see it as very similar to " All Quiet on the Western Front " ( 1930 ) in terms of story line and in being anti war ... except obviously with German actors ... as you state some probably ex combatants .
Agree some scenes are well done although I got the impression made on a much smaller budget than AQOTWF and that may have been because Germany was still suffering hard from reparation payments .
Agree worth a watch ... black and white films of that time always seem more dramatic / realistic to me ... must be an age thing .

Last edited:

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
Still watching D Day survivor on Amazon Prime. It’s not the worst thing I’ve seen but it’s close.
Wooden, cliched and well I’ll not give away the ending.

Starcrash (you tube)

Total 70s trash for a dull rainy Day, (like many, I’ve dropped Mon, Tue, Wed etc from the days now).

Popped up on YT so watched it because my pubescent crush (after Lynda Carter), Carolyn Munro was in it.

Utter utter trash with lots of 1970s semi clad dolly birds littered about especially Ms Munro in a black plastic bikini and polythene wrapper.

Oh yes Knight Rider and that bloke from Dallas is in it too.

How George Lucas didn’t sue is a miracle.

jambosun

Old-Salt
I watched Parasite, this year's Oscar winner for best picture, last night. It is really, really good; quite long and of course all sub-titled. It is a mix of dark comedy and tension with some cracking twists and WTF moments. Well worth the rental on Amazon Prime.

The night before I rented Get Out. It's been out for a while and used to be on Netflix. A brilliant film that has you wondering what the hell is going on. I knew nothing about it beforehand, but was absolutely gripped from the start. Another tense film; imaginative and clever.

BopBopBop

War Hero
Brexit (Netflix).

Dominic Cummings delivering Brexit from a cupboard and the cyber war for your vote.

I'm never going to click on a like button again.

NSP

LE
Brexit (Netflix).

Dominic Cummings delivering Brexit from a cupboard and the cyber war for your vote.

I'm never going to click on a like button again.
Is that the one with Benny Cucumberpatch?

I vaguely recall watching it last year. I can't stand that sanctimonious, holier-than-thu, virtue signalling, "woke" c*ntbubble.

Although he does do a good "modern" Holmes - but I suspect that was because they got a well-matched Watson and landlady more than anything.

BopBopBop

War Hero
Is that the one with Benny Cucumberpatch?

I vaguely recall watching it last year. I can't stand that sanctimonious, holier-than-thu, virtue signalling, "woke" c*ntbubble.

Although he does do a good "modern" Holmes - but I suspect that was because they got a well-matched Watson and landlady more than anything.
Cumberbatch played Cummings and I enjoyed the film.

Sherlock restored my faith in the BBC licence fee (for a bit) when it was first released.

Latest Threads