What film have you just watched?

In order for the bomb to work properly it was dropped from a height of 60ft, essentially a ball hair's breadth above the water, and at night. At times the aircraft were flying lower on the run in to Germany. P/O Geoff Rice had to turn back when his mine clipped the water and was ripped off as he approached the Dutch coast.

The Mohne lake has a turn in it before the dam becomes visible and the Eder has has a nasty ninety degree turn along with a steep descent over the surrounding hills. What isn't shown in the film is the number of dummy runs that had to made on the dams in order to try and get to the right height and distance for dropping. Meanwhile the Germans are throwing everything at the aircraft. In my humble opinion a spectacular feat of flying.

The fact that they could do all this at all was testament to the testicular fortitude of the crews from the UK, Aus, Can, US and NZ as well as Chadwick's masterpiece in the form of the Lancaster. Many crews were thankful for its agility.
This might be of interest, I can also recommend his Hardest Day one as well

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jambosun

Old-Salt
Road..... again. The story of the Dunlops and road racing.
Road - what a brilliant film. Watching the Southern 100 in the Isle of Man every summer as a kid, Joey Dunlop was every boys hero. I used to sit and cheer him on just after Stadium Bends. The film is so sensitively done, it really makes it stand out. There is no sensationalism that you might get in some documentaries, just an incredible story, reflection from friends and family and some fantastic footage from Joey and Robert's time as well as Michael and William's. How tragic that William has now been killed as well. This and TT Closer to the Edge are by far the best films on bike racing. Most Arrsers have probably already seen them but if not then Road is on Amazon now.

PFGEN

GCM

Ooh, that's nice. I might be stealing some of that. I have similar in powerpoint but it lacks the visual effect. Around this time of year I've been known to bore regularly describing the raid at a few schools. Surprising the interest it generates.

Just watched this piece of shite. So bad it was great.
There's a whole series of shark movies like this. Look up Sharknado. This is only a partial list.

Sharknado.JPG

Road - what a brilliant film. Watching the Southern 100 in the Isle of Man every summer as a kid, Joey Dunlop was every boys hero. I used to sit and cheer him on just after Stadium Bends. The film is so sensitively done, it really makes it stand out. There is no sensationalism that you might get in some documentaries, just an incredible story, reflection from friends and family and some fantastic footage from Joey and Robert's time as well as Michael and William's. How tragic that William has now been killed as well. This and TT Closer to the Edge are by far the best films on bike racing. Most Arrsers have probably already seen them but if not then Road is on Amazon now.
I have never really been into Motorcycle Racing however by chance Mrs B_R and I were on holiday in the Isle of Man when the first Memorial Ride around the TT Circuit took place for Joey Dunlop . We had free seats in a Stand an witnessed what seemed thousands of Bikes , the full width of the track , go past .

'Deserter'
The true story of an Englishman who joined the Foreign Legion in 1960. It's based on an autobiographical account by businessman Simon Murray of his experiences during the Algerian crisis. De Gaulle intends to hand the country back to the Arabs but the Legion resists the move. At one point they force French Marines to withdraw at gun point.

The film is supposed to be exploring the conflict between loyalty to France verses the Legion and conflict between comrades..

It clunks along at a pretty confused, turgid pace but one of the film's redeeming features is that Tom Hardy gives a good support. The script is pretty shocking and the plot somewhat confused.

Truxx

LE
Fair Game
The dramatisation of the Bush administrations' disgraceful treatment of a covert CIA operative who's ID was delivered hook line & sinker by the utter thundercunt Richard Armitage all because her husband, a retired diplomat, dared to question the veracity of WMD intelligence relating to centrifuges & yellowcake. Questioned it because he was the actual source that the CIA had asked to go to Niger & check on their behalf due to his previous contacts with the govt.
How a significant number of the Bush administration are not doing time (as well as some of those ******* in Blairs lot) goes beyond the pale. Some of the stuff surrounding the 2003 invasion make the Watergate scandal, or indeed the Pentagon papers seem like chickenfeed.
A great film, well worth a watch.
I must watch that then.

When I finally write my memoirs I will have a thing or two to say about that period of time....

None of it will be complimentary.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
I had a photograph of a lineup at the NW, a relaxed(ish) front two rows while everyone formed up behind them. Some years later I gave the print to a friend who’s an artist/painter. The first thing he said was ‘Every one of those who were on the first two rows are dead’.
It made a very sobering painting.

Kirkz

LE
The Machette series is much the same.

Iplayer for free at minute

I had a photograph of a lineup at the NW, a relaxed(ish) front two rows while everyone formed up behind them. Some years later I gave the print to a friend who’s an artist/painter. The first thing he said was ‘Every one of those who were on the first two rows are dead’.
It made a very sobering painting.
A button doesn't cover it.

From that one can understand why Gibson was awarded the VC - not just the diversionary flying on the first dam but then going on to the second giving maximum exposure to the enemy in pursuit of the mission objectives.

philc

LE
Resistance, an aspiring mime artist joins the French Resistance, sounds a bit daft, in fact its the story of Marcel Marceau and his role, something I was totally unaware of. It also features the Butcher of Lyon who still puzzles and annoy at the same time, just why did he seeming escape punishment for many years.

Any way an interesting tale for me.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
From that one can understand why Gibson was awarded the VC - not just the diversionary flying on the first dam but then going on to the second giving maximum exposure to the enemy in pursuit of the mission objectives.
I wonder if his crew were as impressed at the time? :)

Latest Threads