What film have you just watched?

The writer, director und fuhrer is a Kiwi though, not a Brit, but that's a small quibble.
I do the Kiwis a disservice. My point was basically that type of film would never be written or made in the US.

Just watched "Destroyer" with Edward G Robinson and Glen Ford.

Quite enjoyable but with the high soap content (Ford woos Robinsons Daughter). Its a story about "handing over" between generations both figuratively and literally as Glen Ford and a Young Lloyd Bridges appear among a cast of what are (to my mind) WW2 actors.

Just watched "Destroyer" with Edward G Robinson and Glen Ford.

Quite enjoyable but with the high soap content (Ford woos Robinsons Daughter). Its a story about "handing over" between generations both figuratively and literally as Glen Ford and a Young Lloyd Bridges appear among a cast of what are (to my mind) WW2 actors.
Seen it, there is also one of the "Bowery Boy's" in the movie. Leo Gorcey (Seaman Sarecky in the John Paul Jones scene)

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
Two Way stretch
1960, although its in black and white its loaded with humour, and pays homage to many wartime films
plenty of Double Entendres as well, and superb acting by top stars of the Day
Lionel Jeffries appear as Prison Warder Sour Kraut
Peter Sellers on top form as Dodger lane
Wilfred Hyde-White with his wonderful oration as Soapy Stevens
David Lodge as Jelly Knight
and Bernard Cribbins as Lenny the Dip
look out for Homage to the wooden horse !
perhaps all of these actors having served in wartime in the forces, gave the film its style of humour, certainly David Lodge and Peter Sellers were great friends from RAF days , and on the Goon Show David or Spike always liked to get a gag in about the Cockleshell heroes

Oddly Wilfred plays the Vicar role really well, but perhaps having grown up with a Father who Canon of Gloucester Cathedral gave him an advantage , He is buried not far from me in Bourton on the Water, the Village of his Birth

my Favourite scene is this one
Even though you know the outcome its still funny after all these years

BigT

LE
Just to reinforce what other posters have said about this film, it is superb, funny, poinant and moving, I have no idea how they got it funded or made that in itself will be a hell of a story. Taika Waititi and his producers have achieved something stunning & long lasting.

The cast is tremendous, Scarlet Johanssen is really good, for once being allowed to act not just look gorgeous.

Going to have to watch it again now!
In an Interview he said he'd been struggling to get it made for several years years and had a working script before he did What we do in the Shadows, once his stock shot through the roof with Thor Ragnarok money suddenly became available.

Very similar - the ex-con does the "put em up" bit and a bloke doing a bit of gardening comes up behind him with a shovel. The ex-cons girlfriend shouts out " Behind you!".

The ex-con says "Thats the oldest trick in the book" and BANG!

Wakes up back in the house and goes down the pub only for his mate and barmaid to fall about laughing. It made me laugh as well... :)

I suspect this gag has been done in umpteen films but, as they say, the old ones are the best ones...
I just found it on YT, you nailed it in your description.

It's funny how my memory of it was so different, but what makes me laugh is the most is the memory of watching that bit with my oppo, way back when, and having to pause the tape for a while to get it out of our system. Then rewind, watch it again and do the same, like a couple of kids.
Well we were I suppose.

I remember when this was all trees, you could leave your front door open. . . . . . . Nurse!!!

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Rewatched 'Warriors', the TV movie about UNPROFOR on GRAPPLE 1. Still a very powerful watch.

Two Way stretch
1960, although its in black and white its loaded with humour, and pays homage to many wartime films
plenty of Double Entendres as well, and superb acting by top stars of the Day
Lionel Jeffries appear as Prison Warder Sour Kraut
Peter Sellers on top form as Dodger lane
Wilfred Hyde-White with his wonderful oration as Soapy Stevens
David Lodge as Jelly Knight
and Bernard Cribbins as Lenny the Dip
look out for Homage to the wooden horse !
perhaps all of these actors having served in wartime in the forces, gave the film its style of humour, certainly David Lodge and Peter Sellers were great friends from RAF days , and on the Goon Show David or Spike always liked to get a gag in about the Cockleshell heroes

Oddly Wilfred plays the Vicar role really well, but perhaps having grown up with a Father who Canon of Gloucester Cathedral gave him an advantage , He is buried not far from me in Bourton on the Water, the Village of his Birth

my Favourite scene is this one
Even though you know the outcome its still funny after all these years
After all of those names, you still managed to leave out Liz.......... ( wait I'm getting there ) Frazier.

I'm confident that Fulton McKay's ( sp?) playing of his role in Porridge was influenced by Jeffrey's character model in this film.
I liked Lionel's - Inspector 'Nosey' Parker in 'The Wrong Arm of the Law' again with Sellars - "Pearly Gates' and Cribbins as 'Nervous O' Toole'.

The Dambusters.
For the N-th time ….
Loved it, obviously !!!!

Question (for those in the knows) : when the Lancasters start their training as 617 Sqn, they are told to fly over all lakes in England, Wales & Scotland. There's a shot of a Lanc flying very low (VERY) over a (presumably) UK lake.
It pulls up at the last moment an banks away to port.

Question is this: was this for real? Seems incredible when you consider the size of the 'plane and the time. And the height. I reckon it is probably true, as the special effects in the film are absolute rubbish - the blowing of the dams for instance. But, does anyone know for sure?
For me that is another truly memorable scene from the film .... especially when the Lancaster disappears as it falls below the dam wall then safely reappears ... I believe it is as filmed ... clip below proves the flying capabilities of the Lancaster at ground and water hugging mode as it navigates down the valey and over the dam ..

and this ...

Last edited:
For me that is another truly memorable scene from the film .... especially when the Lancaster disappears as it falls below the dam wall then safely reappears ... I believe it is as filmed ... clip below proves the flying capabilities of the Lancaster at ground and water hugging mode as it navigates down the valey and over the dam ..

and this ...

Wiki tells me that a Lancs wingspan is 31 metres. Using a rough conversion of 3 feet per metre that makes 93 feet. So if you imagine those Lancs flying the steepest of banks the altitude of an attack run is from a wing tip to maybe between the Merlins on the opposite wing.

Alamo

LE
The Dambusters.
For the N-th time ….
Loved it, obviously !!!!

Question (for those in the knows) : when the Lancasters start their training as 617 Sqn, they are told to fly over all lakes in England, Wales & Scotland. There's a shot of a Lanc flying very low (VERY) over a (presumably) UK lake.
It pulls up at the last moment an banks away to port.
Question is this: was this for real? Seems incredible when you consider the size of the 'plane and the time. And the height. I reckon it is probably true, as the special effects in the film are absolute rubbish - the blowing of the dams for instance. But, does anyone know for sure?
Average height for the sortie was around 100ft. On the way back a number of them flew down the rides in the forests.

Average height for the sortie was around 100ft. On the way back a number of them flew down the rides in the forests.
... and on the way out with some Pylon hopping .... and a play on a well known phrase ... " cometh the hour cometh the men " ... fortunately .

There are creatures in that film that I'm pretty sure never existed. Ever
It all went a bit Planet of the Apes in the end. Enjoyable enough though, thanks :)

PFGEN

GCM
In order for the bomb to work properly it was dropped from a height of 60ft, essentially a ball hair's breadth above the water, and at night. At times the aircraft were flying lower on the run in to Germany. P/O Geoff Rice had to turn back when his mine clipped the water and was ripped off as he approached the Dutch coast.

The Mohne lake has a turn in it before the dam becomes visible and the Eder has has a nasty ninety degree turn along with a steep descent over the surrounding hills. What isn't shown in the film is the number of dummy runs that had to made on the dams in order to try and get to the right height and distance for dropping. Meanwhile the Germans are throwing everything at the aircraft. In my humble opinion a spectacular feat of flying.

The fact that they could do all this at all was testament to the testicular fortitude of the crews from the UK, Aus, Can, US and NZ as well as Chadwick's masterpiece in the form of the Lancaster. Many crews were thankful for its agility.

Mr Happy

LE

and this ...

Christ those are slow, I could hit those with my air rifle, let alone a quad set of oerlikon from neutral switzerland

Mr Happy

LE
Netflix - Mrs Peregrin's Home for perculiar children.

Watched with the boys 16/14/12 and the Mrs who's nose is rarely out of her iphone these days as she "multitasks".

All thoroughly enjoyed it. I was staggered by how well it was received. Do take the time to watch it.

Mr Happy

LE
The Gentlemen.

Guy Ritchie out Tarrantino's Tarrantino.

Hugh Grant should get Best Supporting Actor.

Outstanding fim, funny, clever, well told, original. Best 5.49 I ahve ever spent. Rented through Apple TV. Also available through YouTube

Netflix - Mrs Peregrin's Home for perculiar children.

Watched with the boys 16/14/12 and the Mrs who's nose is rarely out of her iphone these days as she "multitasks".

All thoroughly enjoyed it. I was staggered by how well it was received. Do take the time to watch it.

I'm a big fan of both Tim Burton and Les Anderson. I've had this one in my collection for a while. My grand-kids loved it, though true to Burton's genre, it can get very dark in scenes to my daughter's chagrin.

Latest Threads