What film have you just watched?

Malcom (1986)

A genuinely quirky, and funny, Australian comedy. I first saw it in the early 90's and recently discovered it on youtube. Sat and watched it with a coupleof beers last night. Had me crying with laughter at a couple of points.

Worth watching with some great lines, a great soundtrack (courtesy of the Penguin Cafe Orchestra - I have the album) and probably one of the great cinematic bank heists. If not the best, certainly one of the most original.

A tram-obsessed employee of the Metropolitan Transport Authority, which operated Victoria’s trains, trams and buses in the 1980s, the film opens when the sun goes down and Malcolm knocks off work. With a big grin stamped across his face, Malcolm sneaks out and rides his most prized invention – a mini tram-like invention that seats only him – down the streets of Melbourne. When Malcolm's boss finds out about it and promptly fires him, he yelps about the department's waste of time and money. “I employ a bloke like you out of the goodness of my heart and what do I get ... some loony!” Malcolm’s response is simple: “Do I still keep me tram?” :)

Oh, and it won a bunch of awards as well...

Malcom (1986)

A genuinely quirky, and funny, Australian comedy. I first saw it in the early 90's and recently discovered it on youtube. Sat and watched it with a coupleof beers last night. Had me crying with laughter at a couple of points.

Worth watching with some great lines, a great soundtrack (courtesy of the Penguin Cafe Orchestra - I have the album) and probably one of the great cinematic bank heists. If not the best, certainly one of the most original.

A tram-obsessed employee of the Metropolitan Transport Authority, which operated Victoria’s trains, trams and buses in the 1980s, the film opens when the sun goes down and Malcolm knocks off work. With a big grin stamped across his face, Malcolm sneaks out and rides his most prized invention – a mini tram-like invention that seats only him – down the streets of Melbourne. When Malcolm's boss finds out about it and promptly fires him, he yelps about the department's waste of time and money. “I employ a bloke like you out of the goodness of my heart and what do I get ... some loony!” Malcolm’s response is simple: “Do I still keep me tram?” :)

Hmm?

Do you still think that 'Some Mothers do 'ave 'em ' is the height of Comedy?

Hmm?

Do you still think that 'Some Mothers do 'ave 'em ' is the height of Comedy?
No. I never liked that one (or much tv comedy to be honest - it was just typical tv sitcom and in some cases it tried too hard). Malcom however, is a bit out of the ordinary wrt to plot and is an unpretentious bit of fun.Doesn't take itself too seriously like a lot of films.

Last edited:
Just watched "Primal", directed by Genndy Tartakovsky. It's an animation about a caveman and a dinosaur. No speech in it, just roars and grunts. Both suffer personal loss early on in the film, and eventually team up to facilitate their mutual survival. Violent and bloodthirsty, but their relationship develops.
Very much enjoyed this, although I had my doubts when I first started watching it. Give it a go, you might be surprised
The only one I can find is a 5 episode series on All4, is it the same one?

I've just watched this:

MV5BMjEyZmQxOGYtYTk3MS00Njg3LWEwOWItYjFhYzVkNDhkMzYxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzA3Njg4MzY@._V1_UY1200_CR...jpg

A Hollywood 'movie' it is not, which is probably why I enjoyed it.

40 guns to Apache pass. Audie Murphy and his gleaming white teeth, shame that the Apaches had half a ton of wor lasses foundation on.

The Dambusters.
For the N-th time ….
Loved it, obviously !!!!

Question (for those in the knows) : when the Lancasters start their training as 617 Sqn, they are told to fly over all lakes in England, Wales & Scotland. There's a shot of a Lanc flying very low (VERY) over a (presumably) UK lake.
It pulls up at the last moment an banks away to port.
Question is this: was this for real? Seems incredible when you consider the size of the 'plane and the time. And the height. I reckon it is probably true, as the special effects in the film are absolute rubbish - the blowing of the dams for instance. But, does anyone know for sure?

JoJo Rabbit

A black comedy/satire about a 10 year old boy (JoJo) who is a member of the Hitler Youth during the last few months of the war.

You either love it or hate it - personally I loved it. A script so sharp you could cut yourself on it, excellent cast (I liked Captain K the training officer) and well filmed. I won't say any more as I don't want to put any spoilers in, except to say watch out for the scene where one of the HJ boys drops the Panzerschrecke (it's in the trailer)...

If are looking for an accurate historical movie this isn't it, but for a sharp black comedy about the horrors of Hitler's Germany it is probably hard to beat. If you have seen The Death of Stalin then you'll enjoy this.

Best watched with a few glasses of something alcofrolic....

Oh yes, Mrs R2Q enjoyed it as well.

Picked up a copy in Morrisons for a tenner.
Just to reinforce what other posters have said about this film, it is superb, funny, poinant and moving, I have no idea how they got it funded or made that in itself will be a hell of a story. Taika Waititi and his producers have achieved something stunning & long lasting.

The cast is tremendous, Scarlet Johanssen is really good, for once being allowed to act not just look gorgeous.

Going to have to watch it again now!

The Dambusters.
For the N-th time ….
Loved it, obviously !!!!

Question (for those in the knows) : when the Lancasters start their training as 617 Sqn, they are told to fly over all lakes in England, Wales & Scotland. There's a shot of a Lanc flying very low (VERY) over a (presumably) UK lake.
Question is this: was this for real? Seems incredible when you consider the size of the 'plane and the time. And the height. I reckon it is probably true, as the special effects in the film are absolute rubbish - the blowing of the dams for instance. But, does anyone know for sure?
I read somewhere there were a lot of still qualified Lanc pilots available for the flying sequences of the film. That, combined with a distinct lack of H&S requirements and show biz bragging rights probably resulted in the flying sequences being gen.

I read somewhere there were a lot of still qualified Lanc pilots available for the flying sequences of the film. That, combined with a distinct lack of H&S requirements and show biz bragging rights probably resulted in the flying sequences being gen.
I am sure I also read somewhere that the RAF supplied 4? Lancasters for which the company making the film were charged a daily rate whenever they were used ... probably paid to the War Office as it was then .

NSP

LE
I suspect that a war service Lanc pilot working on that production felt that the flying sequences they were asked to perform were somewhat tame compared to their exploits during the actual unpleasantness.

PFGEN

GCM
Just watched a rerun of "The Man Who Never was" starring Clifton Webb as Lt Cdr Ewen Montagu and the story of Operation Mincemeat. An excellent film highlighting just one of the many deception tricks employed by the allies in WWII.

Clifton Webb was perfectly cast as are the rest of the cast and is intelligent dialog isn't wasted. There's little action but rather a build up in the tension. Unlikely that they would make a film like this nowadays.

Yes, it is split up into 5 short animations, but they all follow on from each other. Won't be everybody's cup of tea but I enjoyed it
I'm on episode 3, and already spotted one or two historical inaccuracies. ;)

NSP

LE
Just watched a rerun of "The Man Who Never was" starring Clifton Webb as Lt Cdr Ewen Montagu and the story of Operation Mincemeat. An excellent film highlighting just one of the many deception tricks employed by the allies in WWII.

Clifton Webb was perfectly cast as are the rest of the cast and is intelligent dialog isn't wasted. There's little action but rather a build up in the tension. Unlikely that they would make a film like this nowadays.
Montogu actually appears in that movie, as one of the officers around the table at the committee meeting that approved the op.

His brother, being a communist, gave him a bit of bother vis a vis his security clearance. Clearly saner and more forward-thinking heads were on high back then than today.

I must admit to only vaguely having heard of this film, but on your recomendation, I watched it last night.
An absolutely brilliant film. Thanks.
Thought provoking and funny. Some of the cameos were brilliant.
One thought at the end. This is the kind of black comedy that can only be made by Brits IMHO.
I won't give any spoilers here in case others haven't seen it.
I did the same and rented it on Prime, first time ever.

Agree with your comments, very thought provoking and that stayed with me a few days after seeing it. More so than the humour.

The fat kid with the glasses was hilarious, even though he was delivering his lines dead straight. He reminded me of a young Nick Frost.

The writer, director und fuhrer is a Kiwi though, not a Brit, but that's a small quibble.

I also liked the Beatles and David Bowie in German. Heroes works really well in kraut.

Edited to add: How bloody good is Sam Rockwell, show stealing fecker.

Last edited:
Malcom (1986)

Is that the one where John Hargreaves is showing them how to do a stick up in the park so he does the old pointing a shooter at them and yells "Alright you arrseholes give me all your money" or something and some granny comes along and starts battering him with her brolly thinking it's for real.

All annoyed at being made a tit of he huffs off to the pub.
Cut to the pub, he's looking annoyed with a why do I bother look on his face whilst the old feller he's told the story to is apoplectic with laughter.

That scene still makes me laugh to think of it now.

Is that the one where John Hargreaves is showing them how to do a stick up in the park so he does the old pointing a shooter at them and yells "Alright you arrseholes give me all your money" or something and some granny comes along and starts battering him with her brolly thinking it's for real.

All annoyed at being made a tit of he huffs off to the pub.
Cut to the pub, he's looking annoyed with a why do I bother look on his face whilst the old feller he's told the story to is apoplectic with laughter.

That scene still makes me laugh to think of it now.
Very similar - the ex-con does the "put em up" bit and a bloke doing a bit of gardening comes up behind him with a shovel. The ex-cons girlfriend shouts out " Behind you!".

The ex-con says "Thats the oldest trick in the book" and BANG!

Wakes up back in the house and goes down the pub only for his mate and barmaid to fall about laughing. It made me laugh as well... :)

I suspect this gag has been done in umpteen films but, as they say, the old ones are the best ones...

The Dambusters.
For the N-th time ….
Loved it, obviously !!!!

I suspect that a war service Lanc pilot working on that production felt that the flying sequences they were asked to perform were somewhat tame compared to their exploits during the actual unpleasantness.
"Not in the dark and no-ones shooting at us Old Boy!"

Latest Threads