What film have you just watched?

jg505

Old-Salt
Based on recommendations from posters on here, watched The Highwaymen (2019) with Kevin Costner and Woody Harrelson on Netflix. I'm fascinated by the Mid-west crime spree genre so I rather enjoyed this. Good performances by both. Worth the time spent.
I also liked The Highwaymen.

And talking of Woody Harrelson, I watched Zombieland - Double Tap yesterday. Absolutely loved the first Zombieland film, this one was not as good but still worth a go, if you have the time.

just watched Lonely are the brave on ITV4 11.50 today, Kirk Douglas at his finest, but if you have a horse loving other half, watch it alone. Story follows Kirk playing the loner cowboy in the 1960's, can't stand being fenced in. returns home to find his best pal has been jailed for helping wetbacks find work after they've crossed from Mexico. He picks a fight in a bar with a one armed tough-nut and gets arrested, but the cops hear he fought the tough WW2 vet with one arm behind his back, so they let him off with a Caution, only to face a new fight, so he's in the jail with his pal and plans to cut the bars and break out, but the pal wants to stay, doesn't want to spend his life on the run for a 2 year sentence. He has a wife and little kid.
Out goes Kirk alone and on the run, collects his horse, saddle and Winchester Chambered in 30.30 from the pals wife where he left it. All the way through the movie the director shows us a skittish young Mare, half Appuluga, half wild stock, and a hurried truck driver played by that comic actor who played the General in Kelly's Heroes. Kirk makes his way up the hills at the back of the town with some amusing incidents on the way bringing Walter matau, the Sheriff into the story. The movie ends bringing the truck driver and the uncontrollable three year old mare in a stop the heart moment that sticks it's fingers up at sugar soft movie endings, the last frames show, amazingly, a Morris Minor Pickup moving out of the Police Cordon as the camera pans down to a Cowboy hat laying in the road in the heavy rainfall. Worth a Watch even if I've described plot spoilers.

JoJo Rabbit

A black comedy/satire about a 10 year old boy (JoJo) who is a member of the Hitler Youth during the last few months of the war.

You either love it or hate it - personally I loved it. A script so sharp you could cut yourself on it, excellent cast (I liked Captain K the training officer) and well filmed. I won't say any more as I don't want to put any spoilers in, except to say watch out for the scene where one of the HJ boys drops the Panzerschrecke (it's in the trailer)...

If are looking for an accurate historical movie this isn't it, but for a sharp black comedy about the horrors of Hitler's Germany it is probably hard to beat. If you have seen The Death of Stalin then you'll enjoy this.

Best watched with a few glasses of something alcofrolic....

Oh yes, Mrs R2Q enjoyed it as well.

Picked up a copy in Morrisons for a tenner.

Last edited:
The Prince and The Pauper, the 1962 Disney version is actually quite good. Nigel Green cameo from the pulpit was a good touch. They may be wanted men yet they still toast the King.

If Disney had Rob Roy that would compliment Kidnapped with young Danno from Hawaii 50

NSP

LE
the scene where one of the HJ boys drops the Panzerschrecke (it's in the trailer)...
...is hilarious.

When the Gestapo come round for a chat and there's about 50gazillion Heil Hitlers (showing the inate stupidity of their fanaticism) as each person is introduced and greets each other was quite amusing, too.

I'm just taking a quick break from watching this, an oldy but a goody:

lf.jpg

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
JoJo Rabbit

A black comedy/satire about a 10 year old boy (JoJo) who is a member of the Hitler Youth during the last few months of the war.

You either love it or hate it - personally I loved it. A script so sharp you could cut yourself on it, excellent cast (I liked Captain K the training officer) and well filmed. I won't say any more as I don't want to put any spoilers in, except to say watch out for the scene where one of the HJ boys drops the Panzerschrecke (it's in the trailer)...

If are looking for an accurate historical movie this isn't it, but for a sharp black comedy about the horrors of Hitler's Germany it is probably hard to beat. If you have seen The Death of Stalin then you'll enjoy this.

Best watched with a few glasses of something alcofrolic....

Oh yes, Mrs R2Q enjoyed it as well.

Picked up a copy in Morrisons for a tenner.
Saw this in the cinema and was really, really impressed. It nailed that fine line between comedy and tragedy perfectly and the bit with a certain pair of shoes smacked me in the face. Sam Rockwell as Captain K was hilarious, as was Hitler and there isn't many films that you can say that about.

BigT

LE
Saw this in the cinema and was really, really impressed. It nailed that fine line between comedy and tragedy perfectly and the bit with a certain pair of shoes smacked me in the face. Sam Rockwell as Captain K was hilarious, as was Hitler and there isn't many films that you can say that about.
I didn't see the shoe scene coming so it really hit hard as did Sam Rockwell's final scene. It's one of the best films I've seen for a long time.

TamH70

MIA
Captain: “If he fires one, then I’ll fire one!”

Weapons Op: “Fire one!”
That was the most realistic bit in that whole film. If you treat a young officer like shit for the duration of a voyage, browbeating him at every conceivable turn, you are going to break him and when you do, he will react in the way that that character did when that kind of situation arises. He will interpret everything you say in his vicinity as an order, and in his case launch a BFO ASROC missile.

Finlander not even trying to save his ship always struck me as odd.

Not seen it, but it seems Mel Gibson is staying true to his directorial form.

'A new straight-to-streaming Mel Gibson movie has copped fierce backlash on Twitter for both its casting and “insensitive” subject matter.

'The trailer for 'Force of Nature', released on Wednesday, has been met with an avalanche of criticism with people arguing that not only is the plot problematic, but the stars of the film – Mel Gibson and Emile Hirsch – are, as well. They’ve also pointed out the film, which is loosely based around 2017’s Hurricane Maria in Puerto Rico, has “racist” elements, given the white cast members are the heroes, and the Puerto Rican islanders the villains.

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer

'A new straight-to-streaming Mel Gibson movie has copped fierce backlash on Twitter for both its casting and “insensitive” subject matter.

'The trailer for 'Force of Nature', released on Wednesday, has been met with an avalanche of criticism with people arguing that not only is the plot problematic, but the stars of the film – Mel Gibson and Emile Hirsch – are, as well. They’ve also pointed out the film, which is loosely based around 2017’s Hurricane Maria in Puerto Rico, has “racist” elements, given the white cast members are the heroes, and the Puerto Rican islanders the villains.

Mr Gibson has a considerable amount of skill both in front and behind the camera. I suspect quite a lot of this furore is SJWs doing what they do, but it would be a shame for his legacy to be spoiled with racist accusations. Everything he does film-wise seems to get slammed.

Just watched "Primal", directed by Genndy Tartakovsky. It's an animation about a caveman and a dinosaur. No speech in it, just roars and grunts. Both suffer personal loss early on in the film, and eventually team up to facilitate their mutual survival. Violent and bloodthirsty, but their relationship develops.
Very much enjoyed this, although I had my doubts when I first started watching it. Give it a go, you might be surprised

'The trailer for 'Force of Nature', released on Wednesday, has been met with an avalanche of criticism with people arguing that not only is the plot problematic, but the stars of the film – Mel Gibson and Emile Hirsch – are, as well. They’ve also pointed out the film, which is loosely based around 2017’s Hurricane Maria in Puerto Rico, has “racist” elements, given the
white cast members are the heroes, and the Puerto Rican islanders the villains.

In real life as well, it was afterall the Puerto rican officials who hid the relief supplies in a warehouse and tarped over for months

In real life as well, it was afterall the Puerto rican officials who hid the relief supplies in a warehouse and tarped over for months

Stores is for storing. If the stuff wasn't meant to be handed out they'd be called 'Issues'.

Just watched "Primal", directed by Genndy Tartakovsky. It's an animation about a caveman and a dinosaur. No speech in it, just roars and grunts. Both suffer personal loss early on in the film, and eventually team up to facilitate their mutual survival. Violent and bloodthirsty, but their relationship develops.
Very much enjoyed this, although I had my doubts when I first started watching it. Give it a go, you might be surprised
They do say there’s only 9 scripts* in Hollywood...

* Other numbers are available.

I also liked The Highwaymen.

And talking of Woody Harrelson, I watched Zombieland - Double Tap yesterday. Absolutely loved the first Zombieland film, this one was not as good but still worth a go, if you have the time.
Bugger , The Highwaymen, just seen this on Netflix, slow start but does build up very well. After reading on Wiki it was , for an American film based on a true story wow the film does follow it.

I always thought Bonnie and Clyde were killed by normal coppers.

Watch the film to see who did the deed.

Very good film.

Were , are Costner and Harrelson so , fat or was it a fake belly ?

Latest Threads