What film have you just watched?

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
you lot are a bunch of lucky lucky bastards getting to watch these oldie war films

what did I get to see?

I was FORCED,...….. FORCED... no less than to sit through "Blinded by the light" last night!

What can one say. Sunshine on Luton. sigh!
I watched this. I’m a big Boss fan, but this was too cringeworthy even for me. I think that if they’d taken it more seriously there could be a heck of a film there, with themes of desperation, racism and isolation. Add Bruce’s soundtrack to that and it could’ve been a classic movie.

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor

Watched this last night, actually not bad. A sort of cross between The Goonies, Stand by Me, and several other like films. Enjoyable and loud.

The Gambler re-make.
Do your self a favour and give it a swerve.Two hours of very predictable gambling related hokum.Gang land stereotypes around every corner.

And just because I was bored I watched the 2nd half last night. Hasn't changed my opinion at all.

That said some of the tropes developed have obviously influenced many late 20th century directors; Tarrantino, Scorsese, etc

Still pretentious rubbish though
Agree. There is a good point, toward the end of the film, the fact you can see the last French battleship, the Jean Bart, moored in Toulon not long before it was scrapped.

1586351100482.png

Apart from that, it is indeed a strange film, not half as enjoyable as "Breathless" (A bout de souffle) that Godard had done before. Jean Seberg was a tough act to follow though...

Last edited:

Kirkz

LE
Agree. There is a good point, toward the end of the film, the fact you can see the last French battleship, the Jean Bart, moored in Toulon not long before it was scrapped.

View attachment 463795

Apart from that, it is indeed a strange film, not half as enjoyable as "Breathless" (A bout de souffle) that Godard had done before. Jean Seberg was a tough act to follow though...
Seeing something fFrench is a good point?! :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Who?
Don't answer that, it's fFrench so I'll be spectacularly disappointed.
images jb.jpg
8740a8b795a74c15c524ed697c009147--three-colors-blue-color-blue.jpg
d8223aee1938c4b43625e7616cfb79ef.jpg

Could probably qualify for the fit women in uniform thread

Working through a boxed set of Tarantino movies - watched Jacquie Brown last night.

I like the tangled plots with all their ins and outs but...

...is there any film in which Samuel L Jackson does anything except play Samuel L Jackson?

TamH70

MIA
Working through a boxed set of Tarantino movies - watched Jacquie Brown last night.

I like the tangled plots with all their ins and outs but...

...is there any film in which Samuel L Jackson does anything except play Samuel L Jackson?
Kingsman: The Secret Service springs to mind. Unless you think that a film where he only shoots one guy is a normal film for him.;)

The fact that it's a better Bond film than any that the soon to be gone from the franchise Blond Twat has ever done is just a Brucie Bonus next to the sheer majesty of Sammy's performance as a lisping megalomaniac phone SIM vendor.

The Invisible Man (2020 version).

Dreadful - the story has more holes than a Swiss cheese and had both me and SWMBO ranting at the screen. It's 2hrs of my life I'll not get back.
TWO HOURS ?????
We binned it after 20 minutes but I'm glad to get a 2nd opinion about how crap it is.

The Banker 2020 .......maybe.....but he did make the film better because he was in it. imo.

Offa

War Hero
'Four Minutes' on Netflix. German film (English subtitles), I chose it because I thought it might be about Roger Bannister - obviously not - but once started I was so intrigued that I watched through to the end. German women's prison, old lady piano teacher, young inmate (murderer at 11 years old) who had been a child prodigy. Preparation for a piano competition. Schumann's Piano Concerto. Flashbacks to old lady's past during Third Reich. Gritty reality in prison scenes. Outstanding and worth a watch. I was very pleasantly surprised.

Escape from Auschwitz 2020.
Warning.gif

DON'T WATCH IT - EVER!!
Atrocious acting.
English actors & accents.
15 people tops
Close in camera work to hide the lack of scenery.
Glaringly obvious painted or projected backdrops.

Coffee and Kareem
1C8F0F01-D22B-43BE-99F9-9D3972EDB430.jpeg

now this is on Netflix at the moment, normally I wouldn’t give it a second look, but hey, these are speshul times. What can I say, the guy from The Hangover is a cop, dating a black women with a fat kid with attitude, cop tries to impress the kid, leading to trouble, then more trouble, then the most trouble. A story of bonding, drugs, bent cops and comedy. It’s worth a watch if your getting near to the end of your Netflix Lockdown Library

Whining Civvy

War Hero
Coffee and Kareem
View attachment 464000
now this is on Netflix at the moment, normally I wouldn’t give it a second look, but hey, these are speshul times. What can I say, the guy from The Hangover is a cop, dating a black women with a fat kid with attitude, cop tries to impress the kid, leading to trouble, then more trouble, then the most trouble. A story of bonding, drugs, bent cops and comedy. It’s worth a watch if your getting near to the end of your Netflix Lockdown Library
That's possibly the faintest praise I've seen on this thread so far. Well done.

Atomic Blonde on Film4 last night. Great film with an absolutely stomping soundtrack.

Kirkz

LE
Atomic Blonde on Film4 last night. Great film with an absolutely stomping soundtrack.
Have to agree with you on that!!
Really? I tried watching it a few nights back and wasn't impressed, though it was mediocre at best and less than half way through was so bored I went back to reading Arrse.