What film have you just watched?

Currently watching 'War of the Planet of the Apes'. Talk about social engineering! The evil humans against the community-minded, moral simians.

Braquo - French tv series on Netflix 'the Sweeny french style' - tough as nuts and well acted. Four series, I'm on the final episode of the fourth. Subtitled, but I found it quite classy.

quilter

Old-Salt
Watched BBC 4 - New Scandi series Twins, Parts 1 & 2, intriguing, a tadge offkey or maybe a tadge different to the usual blood and guts - will record the series, did anyone else watch this and what did you think:
The following repeat programme about twin Chinese babies adopted by two very different families was (for me anyrate) very emotional and quite eye opening, I shed a few tears (yes what an old softy eh!) but it was uplifting and beautifully filmed especially in Norway.

syrup

LE
What put me off 'the Irishman' was the revelation from the police who were involved, that it is pure fiction. Yes, the victims all died, but Frank Sheeran never killed anyone.

Would the police not say that you've essentially a bloke confessing to a shed load of murders that they didn't know about.

Would the police not say that you've essentially a bloke confessing to a shed load of murders that they didn't know about
Well considering that Sheenas alleged first victim, Joey Gallo, was taken critically wounded to hospital in a police car, no I don't think so.

'The Villain' - (1971) Richard Burton, Ian McShane and a host of UK familiar actors which includes a youthful Colin Welland.

Burton's psychotic gangster character, is obliged to join forces with another crime boss (Joss Ackland )to carry out a payroll robbery. Very much of it's time in terms of it's crash, bang, wallop approach to the job, with the intervening screen time being absorbed in violent, sleazy scenarios. Though, the camera doesn't follow the Burton & McShane characters into the bedroom,it's strongly inferred that they are in a violent homosexual relationship.

Not quite, 'Get Carter' but certainly on the genre podium for a silver. Well worth looking out for on the Freeview circuit.

Well considering that Sheenas alleged first victim, Joey Gallo, was taken critically wounded to hospital in a police car, no I don't think so.
The way the hit on Crazy Joe was shown was very realistic.....his family was present, he crawled into the street and was shot again etc. However, Frank Sheeran absolutely was not the shooter.

Nosferatu

This version has the restored original film, new version of the original score and English storyboard text.Available on Youtube.

I'd never seen the whole film before, surprisingly watchable with some genuinely creepy scenes with the Vampire, count Orlok. It must have scared a few when it was first released in 1922.

Worth a watch if only to see what they were doing for special effects 98 years ago...

What put me off 'the Irishman' was the revelation from the police who were involved, that it is pure fiction. Yes, the victims all died, but Frank Sheeran never killed anyone.
What put me off was having to plan three shifts to watch it as it was so ******* long.

Piece of Cake - a 1988 series about the Brylcreem Boys in the early days of WW II. The first three episodes have been uploaded to You Tube.

Downsizing with Matt Damon.

The premise: you can undergo a shrinking procedure and live a luxury life at a fraction of the cost and with less impact on the planet in specially created mini towns.

The first 30 minutes seemed Ok, Matt Damon went through the shrinking procedure, started exploring his new world and then it took a turn for the worse.

I was expecting a tongue in cheek satire and instead sat through a thinly veiled propaganda piece where white, rich folk live the high life when ethnic minorities live in ghettos.

The climax is that the world is coming to an end due to mankind's deeds and a small group in Scandinavia (of course!) have built a hideaway to . . . . . . . . . . . . In short, don't bother. It stinks.

Going Dry

Swinger
The Invisible Man (2020 version).

Dreadful - the story has more holes than a Swiss cheese and had both me and SWMBO ranting at the screen. It's 2hrs of my life I'll not get back.

Going Dry

Swinger
The Gentlemen.

Typical Guy Ritchie mockney gangster stuff but if you liked Lock, Stock and 2 Smoking Barrels and Snatch then you'll enjoy this - we did (even with the presence of Hugh Grant!)

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
'The Villain' - (1971) Richard Burton, Ian McShane and a host of UK familiar actors which includes a youthful Colin Welland.

Burton's psychotic gangster character, is obliged to join forces with another crime boss (Joss Ackland )to carry out a payroll robbery. Very much of it's time in terms of it's crash, bang, wallop approach to the job, with the intervening screen time being absorbed in violent, sleazy scenarios. Though, the camera doesn't follow the Burton & McShane characters into the bedroom,it's strongly inferred that they are in a violent homosexual relationship.

Not quite, 'Get Carter' but certainly on the genre podium for a silver. Well worth looking out for on the Freeview circuit.
I've long thought that this film was a much overlooked one. As you say, of it's time but very violent in places. Maybe not one that Burton may have put at the top of his c.v but nevertheless an excellent turn by him, as well as the others.

Attempted to watch 'Dunkirk' (the recent one) at the weekend; gave up after 20 minutes as I thought it was dogshit. At first I thought I was a bit biased as the 1958 B&W version with John Mills is one of my favourite war films but then I realised nope, this one *is* actually dogshit and it wasn't just me.
Ended up watching 'Darkest Hour' instead and that is to be recommended; Gary Oldman does as really good turn as Winston Churchill and was deserving of the Oscar for Best Actor.

It is on Prime at the moment if anyone is interested.

Love the use of Jif lemon during the wages blag. Stockings over the head as well. Nice little tickle.

I used to have an iffy copy on my hard drive until it went kaput.

Looking forward to seeing a pucker version at last. Worth it just to see Donald Sinden on top form as a pervy MP.

It's got to be said, that Vic Dakin really loved his dear old Mum.

Edited to change Netflix to Prime.

Last edited: