What film have you just watched?

Currently watching In Which We Serve, again. Bloody dirty Hun machine-gunning the survivors on the life raft. Grrrr!
Must have seen it 10 times in the last 50 years, and it works every time.

The cinematography, script, acting, 'props' - in fact , everything , makes it an outstanding piece of .. ... art!

It is dated, but every bit is still valid.

you lot are a bunch of lucky lucky bastards getting to watch these oldie war films

what did I get to see?

I was FORCED,...….. FORCED... no less than to sit through "Blinded by the light" last night!

What can one say. Sunshine on Luton. sigh!

Must have seen it 10 times in the last 50 years, and it works every time.

The cinematography, script, acting, 'props' - in fact , everything , makes it an outstanding piece of .. ... art!

It is dated, but every bit is still valid.
.... and as I have posted ... released in 1942 so probably made in 1941 when we hadn't completely turned the tide to our favour and thus all those involved in the making of this excellent propaganda film would have had their names added to the list and would have been summarily dealt with .

There are many outstanding scenes reflecting British values at that time ... for those who have not seen the film .... just one as a taster ....

..... the full film is available for free on YouTube .

Finally as a consequence of watching this film years ago I have drunk Sherry and Bovril and it is a fantastic Winter Warmer .

.... and as I have posted ... released in 1942 so probably made in 1941 when we hadn't completely turned the tide to our favour and thus all those involved in the making of this excellent propaganda film would have had their names added to the list and would have been summarily dealt with .

There are many outstanding scenes reflecting British values at that time ... for those who have not seen the film .... just one as a taster ....

..... the full film is available for free on YouTube .

Finally as a consequence of watching this film years ago I have drunk Sherry and Bovril and it is a fantastic Winter Warmer .
One thing I know for sure is that, while I can guarantee there is no veg on the shelves, my local supermarket wont be sold out of sherry and Bovril.

So I am going to try your recommendation !

' The Ship, and all who sail in her ! '

One thing I know for sure is that, while I can guarantee there is no veg on the shelves, my local supermarket wont be sold out of sherry and Bovril.

So I am going to try your recommendation !

' The Ship, and all who sail in her ! '
I first tried it some years ago when Mrs B_R would have the odd tipple of sweet Sherry .... I just put a spoonful of Bovril into a mug added hot water and left enough space to add a standard measure of the Sherry .... I suppose at a push Oxo cubes may be an alternative but as Mrs B_R has signed the pledge we no longer have Sherry in the house so I revert to other Winter warmers .... Brandy in Hot Chocolate .... Rum in Coffee and what may be seen a bit of a waste by some Whisky in Tea .

Not sure if it is good or bad.
To be honest it is bad, full of totally obvious stage effects rather than an 'Invisible man'.

TAFKA

Clanker
Have that on DVD - have watched it once and still cannot bring myself to watch again - I found it absolutely chilling. What those men went through I cannot begin to comprehend.
Watched it last night. Hard going but even the missus who can't stand gore was gripped.

Just Mercy. Based on a true story about innocent blacks incarcerated on death row stitched up by a few racist white cops and politicians in Southern Alabama. Although a bit long winded in the 'morality talk, talk, no action' department it's a film that needed to be made and watchable in it's own right because this wasn't about the 1950's or 60's.

Extinction (2018

Just watched it again and it's a really good film. A normal run of the mill family man keeps having dreams about an extraterrestrial alien invasion of Earth. People he tells think he's a little nuts until it actually happens and it happens they way the guy dreamt it.

However all is not how it would appear and the end of the movie has an excellent twist to it. Really well worth a watch.

Last edited:

TamH70

MIA
I am currently working my way through "Escape from Alcatraz", directed by Don Siegel and starring Clint Eastwood. It's a great film but watching it now you can see the tension simmering beneath the surface, as Siegel and Eastwood had the mummy and daddy of all falling outs because of the film making process.

ches

LE
Hidden Figures that was on Ch 4 a few weeks ago. Brilliant film about the young african american geniuses who were pretty instrumental with ensuring the race to the moon & beyond was possible. Great performances & a film that should have been made a long time ago, Pretty close to the truth too judging by the write ups after its release. NASA seem to have been one of the very few organisations who may have binned of segregation ahead of the rest of the US.

Latest Threads