What film have you just watched?

It is a generation thing, Harry Carey was the Cowboy of the 20s30s40s handing the mantle to the Dook. Try watching any cowboy from the last twenty years, one or two outstanding. Most lack the true grit that made Yellow sky, the gunfighter or Winchester 73 so good.

If anyone has a few pounds to spare
Harry Carey starts getting discussed at around the 20 minute mark. John Wayne starts to talk about the scene at 23.50

The series itself ("Hollywood") was shown in 1980 and made by the same team that made "The World At War". A must for anyone who is interested in silent movies.

Watched some of Light Up the Sky on Picture House channel over the weekend. I'd seen it 50 odd years ago as a nipper but this weekend was the first time since then.

Set in WW2 and about the shenanigans and banter in a searchlight battery, the link will give more info' on the film itself. But what struck me was that I'd remembered Benny Hill mostly from his TV series, the film though showed he could be fairly fine actor. Not seen him in any others apart from the Italian Job so his range could be limited, but in this one he did a good job of it.

NSP

LE
Critters Attack. Why, oh, why did they bother...? Of all the dire sequels to a pretty good sci-fi horror-comedy original this one is almost certainly the worst!

Fake Sheikh

War Hero
Star Wars Episode 3 & Rouge One tonight

Last edited:

TamH70

MIA

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Uncut Gems on Netflix.

A very good film, ruined by one of the shittest soundtracks this side of 1979. Weird synth noises throughout the film that sounded like the sort of thing they overlay in 1970s movies when people are taking drugs.

Otherwise pretty good. Storyline is somewhat reminiscent of an American version of Snatch or Lock Stock. Lots of twists, various threads running concurrently that come together at the end.

I can’t help but think Guy Ritchie would’ve done a better job with the soundtrack though.

Honestly I’ve never seen a good film ruined so badly by the music. If they did a recut of this with a decent soundtrack it’d be one of the greats.

Every now and again the movie industry throws out a children's film that is an absolute gem which has appeal to both adults and children, often the adults find things in the film that children find funny, but don't know why, and therein lies their charm.

Dolittle is not one of those. The humour, that little I could find, is firmly directed at children and is amusing at best, it didn't even raise a titter from the number of children watching when I did. The plot is childish (naturally) and predictable, and the acting wooden, and that's just the human actors.

Robert Downey Jr.'s voice performance is to Welsh what Dick Van Dyke's is to Cockney. Michael Sheen is dire, and should have at least given Downey some voice coaching, or maybe he did.

2/5

Likewise. Just watched it. Not a bad action fillum for what it’s worth.

But if Wikipedia (and various other sources) are to be believed it‘s all a load of bollox.

The SEAL team basically got fucked up by 8 - 10 Taliban, not hundreds like in the film.

No Taliban casualties or bodies were found afterwards, suggesting that none were killed or injured.

And Luttrel was eventually found with all 11 mags intact, having not fired a shot.

So Taliban - 19 plus a Chinook : US Forces - Nil

Yee haw. ‘merica.
Or the taliban carried away their wounded or dead mates because as we all know the enemy always leave their dead mates behind

The rest was hearsay from a person with a grudge against Luttrell

Right after the incident a video came out on Live Leak of the taliban attacking the team and the aftermath shot from the Taliban POV . I well remember seeing P/O Danny Deitz's ID card and a laptop being presented to the camera. It also showed Lt Murphy standing up radio in hand trying to get a signal and getting hit.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Or the taliban carried away their wounded or dead mates because as we all know the enemy always leave their dead mates behind

The rest was hearsay from a person with a grudge against Luttrell

Right after the incident a video came out on Live Leak of the taliban attacking the team and the aftermath shot from the Taliban POV . I well remember seeing P/O Danny Deitz's ID card and a laptop being presented to the camera. It also showed Lt Murphy standing up radio in hand trying to get a signal and getting hit.
Not just the claims of a random Afghan peasant but also a senior Colonel in the USMC and others.

Just saying.

BigT

LE
Uncut Gems on Netflix.

A very good film, ruined by one of the shittest soundtracks this side of 1979. Weird synth noises throughout the film that sounded like the sort of thing they overlay in 1970s movies when people are taking drugs.

Otherwise pretty good. Storyline is somewhat reminiscent of an American version of Snatch or Lock Stock. Lots of twists, various threads running concurrently that come together at the end.

I can’t help but think Guy Ritchie would’ve done a better job with the soundtrack though.

Honestly I’ve never seen a good film ruined so badly by the music. If they did a recut of this with a decent soundtrack it’d be one of the greats.
The soundtrack was pants but who knew Adam Sandler could actually do drama.

TamH70

MIA
The soundtrack was pants but who knew Adam Sandler could actually do drama.
"Punch Drunk Love" and "Reign over Me", say hi! apparently. Haven't seen them myself but allegedly he's got some serious dramatic chops when he's not making movies with his buddies as a tax dodge.

Judy and punch, which I am sure was made as a parable against domestic violence and the evils of the patriarchy not too mention the moral degradation required to succeed in showbiz, but ended up as a mad, but enjoyable essay on the dangers of groupthink. Well done.

Last edited:
I watched "marco polo" on netflix.
dear God almighty ..tedious wouldn't cover it, it started off dreary an rapidly went downhill for the rest of it.

Latest Threads