What film have you just watched?

Dicky Ticker

War Hero
I came across a trailer for a film to be released this month - "The Professor and the Madman". Basically a film version of Simon Winchester's book on the compiling of the Oxford English Dictionary. It stars two actors who are normally vilified on these boards but seem to deliver commendable performances based on the trailer.

For more details - The Professor and the Madman
Oh good, the Aussie gets to redeem himself for the abysmal Scots accent from Braveheart......

I came across a trailer for a film to be released this month - "The Professor and the Madman". Basically a film version of Simon Winchester's book on the compiling of the Oxford English Dictionary. It stars two actors who are normally vilified on these boards but seem to deliver commendable performances based on the trailer.

For more details - The Professor and the Madman
Serious, JUST OUT?
The wife and I saw that at home at least 3 months ago, for the record it is worth watching.

NSP

LE
Attack Force Z - again (Prime). Mel when he wasn't a dick and could actually turn in a decent performance.

Surprised to see them with suppressed M3s as I could have sworn when I saw it in my teens they had a couple or three Owens amongst them.

IMDB reports a release date of 20 Feb. Perhaps that is for the colonies.
Interesting because it came out March 2019 in Brazil & Russia and May 10th in the U.S.

Following on from watching Three Colours: Blue last week, I watched Three Colours: White last night.

Karol, a Polish immigrant is being divorced by his wife for non consummation of marriage. Losing all his possessions and the prospect of being deported, he is busking on the Metro when he is befriended by Mikolaj who helps him get back on his feet and he ends up, legally, back in Poland. Here he becomes a successful, if shady businessman. He is still brooding about the wife who abandoned him and in a post communist world where money can buy anything he plots his revenge on his wife.

Despite the critical plaudits, it's nowhere near as good as Blue. It was described as an anti-comedy. It's not, there are one or two laughs. It was also described as a critique of capitalism in early 90s' Poland, it's not, no more than Fools and Horses is a critique of Britain. Whilst the performances are good, and the gorgeous Julie Delpy is very easy on the eye, it hasn't aged well.

Robocop, 1980s original.

Watched it with my 14 yr old, because he's exasperatingly ignorant of the 80s. "20 seconds to comply" meant nowt to him.

Anyway the version on Netflix is cut. The scene where Murphy meets his wife after being made a cyborg, and other scenes, taken out. The satirical edge lost.

Still great though.

Dead or alive you are coming with me.

NSP

LE
Robocop, 1980s original.

Watched it with my 14 yr old, because he's exasperatingly ignorant of the 80s. "20 seconds to comply" meant nowt to him.

Anyway the version on Netflix is cut. The scene where Murphy meets his wife after being made a cyborg, and other scenes, taken out. The satirical edge lost.

Still great though.

So they cut out some benign stuff that fills the story but left in all the gratuitous violence...?

Erm...

Robocop, 1980s original.

Still great though.

I'd buy that for a dollar.

Alien 5, directed by Mike Leigh. The xenomorph is living in a small bedsit in southeast London in 1983 on Jobseeker's Allowance, and has low self esteem from too many rejected job applications and the 'leccy being cut off for non payment. Not easy trying to lay facehugger eggs on £36.70 a week and a diet of baked beans and Crispy Pancakes in Thatcher's Britain. Great soundtrack from Discharge, The Exploited and Bananarama.

Those SUX900 are electric.
Got the numbers wrong apparently.

Kirkz

LE
Got the numbers wrong apparently.

Been that long since I saw the film I'd no idea what number it was.
On a side note there's someone near here that has a SUX reg plate and it always reminds me of the film when I see it.

Been that long since I saw the film I'd no idea what number it was.
On a side note there's someone near here that has a SUX reg plate and it always reminds me of the film when I see it.
There was a female RAF loadie where I worked called Cox, she had a sense of humour. Her car reg at the time was SUX.

Latest Threads