What film have you just watched?

NSP

LE
^@NSP your Link is not available at this end:

"Requests to the server have been blocked by an extension."

Could you perhaps re-send it in another format, please?
Allow Amazon Associates and Amazon Mobile Ads in Ghostery or whatever ad-blocker or anti-snooping extension you've installed in your browser.

ArRSe automatically converts Amazon links to media format.

Last edited:

Dicky Ticker

War Hero
More of a documentary than a film as such but still worth a watch. "Last breath" is about a bunch of North sea saturation divers and an incident that occurred while they were working. Basically two guys are on the sea floor during a storm when the support ships thrusters fail, leaving the ship drifting. Not much of an issue, until you consider that the divers are still attached to the support ship for essentially life support.

I won't go into too much of the story, but a a lot of the coverage used was recorded at the time of the incident, it uses the real ships crew at the time and is portrayed in a way that keeps you on the edge of your seat.

For anyone involved in the North Sea, design safety or operational safety it is a must-watch.

More of a documentary than a film as such but still worth a watch. "Last breath" is about a bunch of North sea saturation divers and an incident that occurred while they were working. Basically two guys are on the sea floor during a storm when the support ships thrusters fail, leaving the ship drifting. Not much of an issue, until you consider that the divers are still attached to the support ship for essentially life support.

I won't go into too much of the story, but a a lot of the coverage used was recorded at the time of the incident, it uses the real ships crew at the time and is portrayed in a way that keeps you on the edge of your seat.

For anyone involved in the North Sea, design safety or operational safety it is a must-watch.
That's my evening viewing then methinks.

If you like A League Of Gentlemen, try and catch episode 1 of the new series of Inside No 9 called The Beautiful Game starring David Morrisey, it's an absolute Corker, fecking genius in fact.
As was the 2nd episode. The mush_in_laws rarely smile at anything, apart from when the bloke across the road creased his jag on the lamppost, but they were laughing out loud at that one. But both at separate incidents

NSP

LE

I mentioned that I'd watched that in the mess on my last trip and a guy on the next table leant over and said, "I was the dive tech on that job."

He said the docudrama is pretty good - not 100% but says the right things in the right way.

If I remember rightly, until the e-stop went in, it wasn't a DP failure and drift but a DP run-off - i.e. the vessel the bell was hanging from, and to which the bubbleheads were tied to whilst snagged on the structure, was fucking off elsewhere under power rather than nature. I recall the docu' dealt with this fortunately rare* "technical issue" in some detail.

My original post-watching brief commentary here.

* Naturally, it's highly amusing when we're touchdown-monitoring interspersed with as-laid catch-up survey behind a DP laybarge and it has a run-off so we can go and take some tasty video-grabs of seriously knacked pipeline.

Like this:-

Buckle1.jpg

Last edited:

Dicky Ticker

War Hero
I mentioned that I'd watched that in the mess on my last trip and a guy on the next table leant over and said, "I was the dive tech on that job."

He said the docudrama is pretty good - not 100% but says the right things in the right way.

If I remember rightly, until the e-stop went in, it wasn't a DP failure and drift but a DP run-off - i.e. the vessel the bell was hanging from, and to which the bubbleheads were tied to whilst snagged on the structure, was fucking off elsewhere under power rather than nature. I recall the docu' dealt with this fortunately rare* "technical issue" in some detail.

My original post-watching brief commentary here.
I suggested some of our engineering leads watch this, we're in a completely different domain but the question "what could go wrong in an operation such as this..?" gave me a myriad of answers but no-one came up with this. It was a classic swiss cheese example.

Without giving too much away, the way the run up to the event was laid out and the video footage used was very well done. It really added to the drama, so much so that I found myself sitting there at one point having to stop myself from skipping ahead to see the outcome.

Sez you...
Exactly, that was the intended irony of the post (I've used three actors/famous people as my avatar, but never once have I pretended that I think I look like any of them, unlike one infamous user and SPOTY of this site).

Last edited:

NSP

LE
That was rather good indeed. Not sure what else to say about it really, other than "What a lucky bastard".
He was technically dead when they finally got him back into the bell, as I recall from the docu'. Very lucky bastard indeed!!

Hostiles, Christian Bale among others, which includes the excellent Wes Studi, the tale of a war weary US cavalry officer tasked with taking a dying indian chief back to his homeland. Interestingly I had a readup about the film and Bale did actually have to learn how to speak Comanche. Very well worth watching even though there are a couple of scenes/incidents didn't understand.

NSP

LE
Siege on Prime. In 2009 a small town in New Zealand echoes to gunfire as a pot grower goes tonto with a Mini-14, shotgun and a certain rifle when three unarmed cops rock up to execute a search warrant. True story.

Not a bad little drama flick, really.

Just watched ''Lancaster skies'' on Blu Ray. Though meaning well the film never seemed to deliver all that was promised.
It seemed to try to live action wise from the few magnificent Spitfire flyovers but apart from those that was about it.
I found though that a lot of effort was put into the uniforms,buildings and general feel of the 1940's in whole the film just failed to deliver which is a real shame.

I came across a trailer for a film to be released this month - "The Professor and the Madman". Basically a film version of Simon Winchester's book on the compiling of the Oxford English Dictionary. It stars two actors who are normally vilified on these boards but seem to deliver commendable performances based on the trailer.

For more details - The Professor and the Madman

Latest Threads