What film have you just watched?

NSP

LE
Horrible Histories - The Movie; Rotten Romans.

A very well researched and in depth exploration and analysis of Nero, his mother's murder of her husband, Claudius ( played by Derek Jacobi). It examines the hardships of the average Roman soldier, the privations of the Saxons and their unbending refusal to cower before the might of Rome. The back story of Boudicca, her rise as a leader and the depiction of the final battle are magnificent.

Actually, it's a huge pisstake and quite funny. Lee Mack as the Roman centurion is excellent.
The Saxons came after the Romans. It would have been Celts, Picts and the like giving Jonnus Foreignus a shoeing.

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
The Saxons came after the Romans. It would have been Celts, Picts and the like giving Jonnus Foreignus a shoeing.
You are quite right, and in fact, in the film they referred to themselves as Celts. With Estuary accents. However, since the film included Boudiccca escaping, and a Roman soldier wearing what appeared to be Gucci boots, I doubt that my error takes anything away from the historical facts.

Not a bad film, worth a look.

NSP

LE
You are quite right, and in fact, in the film they referred to themselves as Celts. With Estuary accents. However, since the film included Boudiccca escaping, and a Roman soldier wearing what appeared to be Gucci boots, I doubt that my error takes anything away from the historical facts.

Not a bad film, worth a look.
I've seen it. Might have even mentioned it waaaaaaay up-thread.

I'm currently watching "Narcos" on netflix and it is coming close to the end (will finish it later tonight) so far it's brilliant . Pablo escobar was a real scamp and not to fucked about with,
they were generating 63 million dollars a DAY ffs.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor

A very well researched and in depth exploration and analysis of Nero, his mother's murder of her husband, Claudius ( played by Derek Jacobi). It examines the hardships of the average Roman soldier, the privations of the Saxons and their unbending refusal to cower before the might of Rome. The back story of Boudicca, her rise as a leader and the depiction of the final battle are magnificent.

Actually, it's a huge pisstake and quite funny. Lee Mack as the Roman centurion is excellent.
Excellent film provided you are not up worried about the Gucci stuff and enjoy rip-offs. I had a good chuckle and thoroughly enjoyed it.

NSP

LE
Excellent film provided you are not up worried about the Gucci stuff and enjoy rip-offs. I had a good chuckle and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Made oi larf. If it gets a bit of history into kids heads then fair play, I say. I mean, they seem to be taught eff all of it in school worth a damn, so...

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
I was on set with her last year...big tall lass even without the four inch spike heels....

Have to say 'Wonderwoman 1 ' sounds better than 'Rocket Hunters' thobut.
You lucky bastard. I'd crawl a mile through decomposing corpses just to finger blast the washer woman who cleans Gal Gadot's panties.

Bombshell

Had a couple of hours to fill in while some new tyres were fitted to the car and this fitted in best with the time I had to wait. That said I am glad I saw it - basically the film is about the allegations of sexual assault by Roger Ailes, the man who headed Fox Channel, by women whom he had hired and promoted.

The story is told from the perspective of three women (two of whom were among the accusers, the other was also assaulted but didn't join the action) and unlike some of the hysterical screaming of the MeToo crowd, the film is very balanced in its approach and doesn't vilify Ailes,

Charlize Theron, Nicolle Kidman and Margot Robbie star as the three women, John Lithgow plays Ailes and all play their roles brilliantly. There are also excellent performances from the supporting cast (watching the subtle change on the face of the actor playing Ailes' wife as she listens to the evidence against him is classic acting).

Not much in the way of action so it is a script driven story and with the constant jumping from one storyline to another it can get difficult to follow and as a result the film comes over like a documentary. However, it is well worth a watch.
1580188433893.png

Easy role for Derek Jacobi, he did portray the divine Claudius back in 1976

Watched 12 strong on sunday, the getting closer for jtac scene to establish his warrior prowess?

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Easy role for Derek Jacobi, he did portray the divine Claudius back in 1976

Watched 12 strong on sunday, the getting closer for jtac scene to establish his warrior prowess?
He wwwwas vvvery ggggggoooood as well.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Bombshell

Had a couple of hours to fill in while some new tyres were fitted to the car and this fitted in best with the time I had to wait. That said I am glad I saw it - basically the film is about the allegations of sexual assault by Roger Ailes, the man who headed Fox Channel, by women whom he had hired and promoted.

The story is told from the perspective of three women (two of whom were among the accusers, the other was also assaulted but didn't join the action) and unlike some of the hysterical screaming of the MeToo crowd, the film is very balanced in its approach and doesn't vilify Ailes,

Charlize Theron, Nicolle Kidman and Margot Robbie star as the three women, John Lithgow plays Ailes and all play their roles brilliantly. There are also excellent performances from the supporting cast (watching the subtle change on the face of the actor playing Ailes' wife as she listens to the evidence against him is classic acting).

Not much in the way of action so it is a script driven story and with the constant jumping from one storyline to another it can get difficult to follow and as a result the film comes over like a documentary. However, it is well worth a watch.
View attachment 446215
Gawd I‘ll watch it just to see those three delightful ladies for a couple of hours.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
I was flicking through the channels, gave up went on Netflix and suddenly it came to me, a quick search and bingo.
The Life of Brian. Haven’t watched it in donkeys years, so far ago I’d forgotten about the spaceship scene. Bigus Dickus, what’s so funny about Bigus Dickus? throw him to the floor as well sir? Oh yes.
So childish and so funny.

Whining Civvy

War Hero
"Jojo Rabbit" Hilariously funny and very dark at the same time.

Sam Rockwell's sacrifice at the end only matched by Scarlet Johansson's role

The Kiwi who plays hitler is actually funny
Yes I agree. I watched this last night, it's excellent and manages to be funny, dark and, in places, frightening and tense. Occasionaly, as in the Gestapo scene, all at the same time. Hitler is, as you will all presumably know by now, Jojo's imaginary friend, but is also a reflection of his inner conflict as the Nazi propaganda he has been fed - and believes - comes into conflict with his growing relationship with a Jewish girl. It isn't quite as fanciful and fun as you may have been led to believe and I heartily recommend going to watch this at the cinema. It may be funny but it is by no means a comedy.

My favourite scene is when Jojo runs thorugh a group of Hitler youth, steals a grenade and throws it, only for it to bounce off a tree and land at his feet. After the explosion the Nazi officer instructing the HJ on grenade usage casually turns to them and says "Yeah, don't do that'.

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Made oi larf. If it gets a bit of history into kids heads then fair play, I say. I mean, they seem to be taught eff all of it in school worth a damn, so...
Both my grandsons got into history ( with a fair bit of badgering - sorry, encouragement), from me via the Horrible Histories. I took them to a Chalke Festival where they met the author and illustrator of the series, and to a stage show. Now the 16 yr old is taking History at A level and the 11 year old is also hooked.

Finally got round to watching this last night. I kept having to remind myself that this is a dramatisation of real events every time I found myself exclaiming WTF at some of the more outrageous revelations.
Could you point me in the right direction?

Have searched Prime with no joy, what is the actual title? Can you link to https://www.imdb.com/ ?

Would love to watch it, but keep coming up blank.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer

What platform?

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Just watched Bad Boys for Life.

I enjoyed it. It has the expected mix of car/motorbike chases, shooting, killing, shit blowing up and plot twists of the genre with sufficient humour to keep it rolling along. Mind candy it may be, but it's fun mind candy.

Latest Threads