What film have you just watched?

One for the Old and Bold .... currently watching " The Old Dark House " on Talking Pictures ... cast includes Fenella Fielding absolutely radiating sex appeal ... not just her ample curves but that voice .

FF.jpg

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
Alien Covenant.
Not time well spent.Sadly it seems part three is coming soon.
Oh dear.
I'm bemused.

Ridley Scott sets up Prometheus - flawed with logic holes big enough to fit a space cruiser in, but at least he was trying......something.

Alien Covenant just pi$$es over what was set up in Prometheus to be more "Alien," yet failed in that also.

Very peculiar and shows the danger of not having a creative vision and sticking to it. Trying to keep the soshul meeja mongs happy (there was a lot of backlash from fans) will always lead to failure.

Last edited:

TamH70

MIA
Just finished watching the classic '80's action film, "The Running Man", starring Arnie, Maria Conchita Alonso, Richard Dawson excellently cast as the devious, evil game show host Killian, and a delightfully sardonic Sven Ole-Thorson as Sven the security guard.

I'd say it was a perfect adaptation of the Stephen King book, but I'd be lying through my teeth.

It's on Amazon Prime Video for free at the moment.

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
Just watched a couple -

The Hole in the Ground - Low budget Irish horror/creeper. After an unspecified incident causes a single mum and her son to move to a house bordering a massive forest. In the forest is......a hole in the ground. A hole so big that it should be visible from orbit. Her son goes into the woods and something that resembles her son comes back.

Nobody "famous" in it, but some good performances make this a 5/10 film. Doesn't really scare nor does it breed much impending doom which horror films should. It doesn't overstay its welcome at 90 minutes or so and it might've been more scary without the soundtrack of my dear lady wife snoring loudly after 10 minutes of starting.

Star Wars - Rise of Skywalker - Unpopular opinion, but I liked it a lot.

I've never thought of movie directors as territorial, but I do now. JJ Abrams kicked off this final trilogy in very familiar style, in fact, it reeked of reboot rather than a genuine sequel, but for all that, there were some decent characterisations in there.

Rian Johnson then took the helm and seemed determined to throw away all the Star Wars lore built thus far -

Finn turns out to be a coward, Luke also turns out to be a coward before he is killed off. Snoke and Phasma are also killed off without much ado. "Kill the past if you have to," was a repeated line and he was determined to do just that.

Johnson also introduced the absolute worst cringey "humour" I've ever seen in a mainstream film. So misjudged it yanks at the viewer out of their suspension of disbelief and brings to mind the godawful Spaceballs movie.

Whilst "The Empire Strikes Back" was also a downbeat movie, it stuck to the thematic trues set up by the first movie. Not so much with The Last Jedi.

Here, Johnson committed the ultimate sin, one that Game of Thrones showrunners D&D were also guilty of: Throw logic and hard-earned character development out of the window to introduce shock value. By the time that JJ Abrams got his hands on the third instalment of the trilogy, a lot of his setup work in TFA was destroyed.

It's a shame because despite everything, Johnson did hit a few chords really well - the death of Luke, in a direct comparison with a sunset scene in the original, the salt/red dirt of Crait and the uprated walkers looked great. The Holdo manoeuvre was terrific and the throne room fight with Rey/Ren and the imperial guards was also a highlight.

Cobbling together a satisfying ending to a 42 year old saga was always going to be a tough ask, but after Johnson's mauling of the characters and plot, salvaging something out of The Last Jedi was a trick I thought beyond Abrams' skills.

Back to the drawing board then for Abrams and finding out that Rey was a Palpatine and that the Emperor didn't perish on the Death Star was not a direction I was expecting. Neither was the Final Order fleet which was visually very impressive.

"Rise Of Skywalker" was largely predictable - Rey stays good, Ren turns good, everyone has a happy ending...well, nearly everyone....but it was put together well and does its best to give fans what they've waited a long time for.

If one was to look carefully, the plot holes are quite large, but this is a familiar issue with all of the Star Wars movies.

Overall, I thought it was an excellent end to the series. Yes, I would've preferred that Luke had lightsabred his way through the First Order, but it was not to be.

The Irishman

I like long films, this is just over three and a half hours and in all honesty they could have lost an hour and it would still have been good.

I've heard the hype about the CGI etc and I guess I was looking at that too much, not sure it's a good as they say it is but ymmv.

It didn't really bring anything new to the genre but then I didn't expect that it would.

NSP

LE
The Great Escape. Noticed it's now on Netflix. Bliss!

Noticed a few things I hadn't in myriad previous watchings. For example, when Gp. Capt. Ramsey is greeted on arrival the Luftwaffe "officer" who greets him introduces himself as Hauptsturmfuhrer when he's not SS! He has the collar insignia and shoulder straps of an Oberfeldwebel, and subsequently executes the duty billet of the same. His waffenfarbe show him as being AAA when all the others wear waffenfarbe for aviators. No wonder he's a bit bitter!!

Still a good way to kill a slack three hours, though.

"Herr Bartlet. Zhore German ist good! I hear also zhore French. Zhore arms........UP!"

:-D

Edited because it isn't the Untersturmfuhrer that lifts him that draws out Herr Barrrrtlet but the creepy Gestapo goon in the interrogation centre.

Last edited:

NSP

LE
Just put the latest Terminator movie on. That enhanced bird is well hot (looks a bit androgenous in the promo stills) and the action so far is non-stop. The baddy Terminator has Jason Clarke's iron-filings type build from Genesis. If you haven't seen Genesis or T2 reasonably recently you'll struggle to figure out where it sits in the timeline.

It's looking good so far, though.

Oooh - Linda's just appeared. Still looking "I would" despite being geriatric!

Edited to add: if you didn't watch Genesis through to the post-credits teaser you will struggle with this one!

Last edited:
The Big Heat,Glenn Ford was main man,Lee Marvin as magnificent thug stole it for me......memorable scene here.

Knives Out
Daniel Craig plays a private detective from Tennessee investigating a murder - it all turns into a pretty decent who-dunnit. Well, you can guess who dunnit but you don't know how she dunnit. Oh bollux, you know how she dunnit but how does she get away with it?

or not

Not a film, but an advert based on a rather well known film and book character...

Currently stuck watching Vox Lux with the 2IC.

A schoolgirl that survives a school shooting rises to fame from her song that she performs at a memorial service.

She begins as a God fearing wholesome girl, fast forward 17 years later she's an arrogant, unlikeable cnut with a Noo Yoik accent.

Is it a critique on the corrupting influence of stardom? Dunno, don't care. I'm just glad I didn't pay to watch it.
It's a badly slapped together mess that had a promising beginning. A waste of the actors and audiences time.

I think Stardust with David Essex was a much better example of the rise to stardom and the inevitable degeneration of a musical artist.

Vox Lux? More like Bol Lux.

............ and Bond's principal 'hood' in 'From Russia With Love'. Arguably one of the most rugged fight sequences ever filmed up to that generation.
This was a good scene of his:

Just finished watching the classic '80's action film, "The Running Man", starring Arnie, Maria Conchita Alonso, Richard Dawson excellently cast as the devious, evil game show host Killian, and a delightfully sardonic Sven Ole-Thorson as Sven the security guard.

I'd say it was a perfect adaptation of the Stephen King book, but I'd be lying through my teeth.

It's on Amazon Prime Video for free at the moment.
Watched Arnie in "The 6th Day" recently, a bit cheesy, but meh, watchable.

This was a good scene of his:

That scene, from the very beginning to the USS Indianapolis monologue is one of my favourite pieces of cinema.
I could probably recite it verbatim including his vocal inflections.

I particularly like it where they're comparing scars from moray eel bites to thrasher shark tail swipes and it cuts to Chief Brody self consciously looking at his appendix scar before pulling his top down. Subtle but perfectly portrayed.

Great film, all thanks to the animatronic shark not working properly.

Last edited:
That when scene from the very beginning to the USS Indianapolis monologue is one of my favourite pieces of cinema.
I could probably recite it verbatim including his vocal inflections.

I particularly like it where they're comparing scars from moray eel bites to thrasher shark tail swipes and it cuts to Chief Brody self consciously looking at his appendix scar before pulling his top down. Subtle but perfectly portrayed.

Great film, all thanks to the animatronic shark not working properly.
I like the appendix scar moment too.

Latest Threads