What film have you just watched?

The Irishman.
For me, Joe Pesci stole it.
Di Nero just being Di Nero which is no bad thing. Hard to say with him how much effort he actually needs to put in being epic.
Sadly as one of my all time screen icons I found Pacino a bit wearing....definately not his finest moment.
3 hours went in quite quickly though which, with my attention span, says a lot.

TamH70

MIA
Just finished watching "London Has Fallen", the sequel to "Olympus Has Fallen", which I watched before I ventured out into the bleak and desolate wasteland of Linwood to go shopping.

The film is much better than its reception in the woke media, which is to say pretty much most film "criticism" - online and dead tree - would tell you. For example, the film's score was 26% on Rotten Tomatoes, which goes to show just how useless that site is as a definer of a good film, especially since the audience score on CinemaScore, i.e. people that actually watch the film and pay to do so with their own money, gave it an A- on their rating scale of A+ to F.

The only blatant ****-up, apart from the usual Hollywoodization of gun battles and the like, (that said, there was an exemplary amount of reloading gats as they ran dry, which is rare), was the constant referral to Colin Salmon's character's rank in the Metropolitan Police as "Chief Inspector", when all the salad on his epaulettes gave the game away that he was actually supposed to be the Met's Commissioner. And also pisses on the chips of twats like the asshole in Variety who called the film "racist".

One Night in Turin. Long documentary on Englands trials and tribulations at Italia '90. Quite interesting and worth a watch for footy fans.

Edit- You sort of realise, watching it, that nowadays the England team has never looked so passionate about the game or determined to win or die in recent years as they did then.

Last edited:

NSP

LE
6 Underground. Ryan Reynolds wisecracks his way through a light-hearted actionfest. The opening car chase is a stunt-laden, rocket-fuelled exercise in carnage and it carries on throughout in a similar vein. Find it on Netflix.

"An unfortunate ferocious masturbating accident." Class!!!

6 Underground. Ryan Reynolds wisecracks his way through a light-hearted actionfest. The opening car chase is a stunt-laden, rocket-fuelled exercise in carnage and it carries on throughout in a similar vein. Find it on Netflix.

"An unfortunate ferocious masturbating accident." Class!!!
Enjoyed the various funny buits but struggled to follow the flm otherwise. Loved the eyeball scene though.

NSP

LE
Enjoyed the various funny buits but struggled to follow the flm otherwise. Loved the eyeball scene though.
It took me a while to realise that they'd faked their deaths to drop off the grid and weren't actually dead/real ghosts.

I was watching Dave Franco with a forklift through his neck and thinking, "Hang on - how can he be dead if he's already dead?" Ditto the previous bit in the same sequence where the hottie from Puerto Rico is trying to extract and close Melanie Laurent's GSW.

That bloody yacht was something else, though - I work on smaller survey ships than that and think, "Hmmm - nice to be on something with a bit of room for a change."

Just watched “Angel Has Fallen”, - disappointing, very disappointing, lacked the punch and big screen shock factor of the first two films. First film, Whitehouse is blown and shot to pieces, second film, London is blown and shot to shit, 3rd film, a few boats on a lake are blown up and a truck over-turns!

Last edited:

NSP

LE
Just watched “Angel is Down”, - disappointing, very disappointing, lacked the punch and big screen shock factor of the first two films. First film, Whitehouse is blown and shot to pieces, second film, London is blown and shot to shit, 3rd film, a few boats on a lake are blown up and a truck over-turns!
But... But... GERARRRRD BUTT-LAH!!!!

"Goodnight and Goodluck" (2005)

Edward R. Murrow and CBS take on Senator McCarthy
David Strathairn
George Clooney
Robert Downey Jr.
Jeff Daniels
Frank Langella

Presented in B&W for the 50's effect

Great. Any chance of telling us what it's about?
IIRC, its about a white driver who is driving a black musician around America for a tour during the 50's or 60's when segregation was in force. The musician was only allowed to stay, eat and perform in places listed in the Green Book, basically a book that told black people where they were allowed to be.

Just finished watching "London Has Fallen", the sequel to "Olympus Has Fallen", which I watched before I ventured out into the bleak and desolate wasteland of Linwood to go shopping.

The film is much better than its reception in the woke media, which is to say pretty much most film "criticism" - online and dead tree - would tell you. For example, the film's score was 26% on Rotten Tomatoes, which goes to show just how useless that site is as a definer of a good film, especially since the audience score on CinemaScore, i.e. people that actually watch the film and pay to do so with their own money, gave it an A- on their rating scale of A+ to F.

The only blatant ****-up, apart from the usual Hollywoodization of gun battles and the like, (that said, there was an exemplary amount of reloading gats as they ran dry, which is rare), was the constant referral to Colin Salmon's character's rank in the Metropolitan Police as "Chief Inspector", when all the salad on his epaulettes gave the game away that he was actually supposed to be the Met's Commissioner. And also pisses on the chips of twats like the asshole in Variety who called the film "racist".
Maybe they mixed it up with "Angel Has Fallen", the third in the trilogy.

That one was bad considering how good the first movie is (and most of the second one).

Anyhoo, just watched "Danger Close: The Battle Of Long Tan".

Not a badly made movie. Nice to see a non-Septic Vietnam movie once and a while, especially one that recognises Aussie soldiers and their sacrifices during that war.

Has a scene where the Aussie major is asking a young ******** who had an ND while pissing up in a foxhole why he prefers the M16 over That Rifle.

Bit of trivia, one of the helicopters they used in filming was involved in the actual Battle Of Long Tan. A2-1022 was used for ferrying the performers out of the battle zone, then flew back and dropped the badly needed ammunition to the patrols and then ferried the dead and wounded back at the end of the battle.

The helicopter is currently on display at Caloundra RSL club in QLD.

Iroquois_A2_1022_12th_March_2012a.sized.jpg

Last edited:

Awol

LE
IIRC, its about a white driver who is driving a black musician around America for a tour during the 50's or 60's when segregation was in force. The musician was only allowed to stay, eat and perform in places listed in the Green Book, basically a book that told black people where they were allowed to be.
Thanks.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Just watched “Angel is Down”, - disappointing, very disappointing, lacked the punch and big screen shock factor of the first two films. First film, Whitehouse is blown and shot to pieces, second film, London is blown and shot to shit, 3rd film, a few boats on a lake are blown up and a truck over-turns!
Angel has fallen, surely?

Latest Threads