What film have you just watched?

sunny james

Old-Salt
The Mummy (2017)
With Tom Criuse and Russell Crowe.
Noted production team and decent actors should be a good recipe for a watchable movie but this effort turns into a sh1t sandwich pretty quickly.
I think the producers were hoping to get a franchise going with the "Dark Universe" moniker.
Don't bother.

The Current War with Benedict Cucumber Snatch. The premise is all about Thomas Edison and George Westinghouse -- the greatest inventors of the industrial age <septic opinion -- engage in a battle of technology and ideas that will determine whose electrical system will power the new century. Backed by J.P. Morgan, Edison dazzles the world by lighting Manhattan. But Westinghouse, aided by Nikola Tesla, sees fatal flaws in Edison's direct current design. Westinghouse and Tesla bet everything on risky and dangerous alternating current.

Somewhat enjoyable but let down by not explaining itself properly at the beginning leaving the wife repeatedly asking me to stop and explain wtf was going on. It presumes everybody knows about the problems with AC & DC power in the 1st place and does not really delve into who was right and who was wrong and therefore it does get confusing. My advice before watching it is to look it up on Wiki and look like a genius when the wife does ask the inevitable questions.

Carbon 6

Old-Salt
Currently watching "When the Wind Blows". It's the kind of cartoon film you give to kids that you want to mentally scar for life because they've watched it.

Probably the best nuclear war-themed film ever made.
This is my favourite nuclear war-themed cartoon. A Richard Condie delight.

Default SF for Hollywood UK = SAS, US = SEALS
Well, making it about THOSE would be pretty boring. A scene featuring a bare piece of ground followed the nearest important thing blowing up mysteriously.

NSP

LE
The Wheel. Not too bad, on the whole. And magnificently violent.

FHA

LE
Just got back from “Midway”, the new one.
Was kind of dreading it but then watched History Buffs’ review of the trailer that said errr....this might not actually be that bad.
A few “Hollywood“ bits of course but often like watching a (bloody big) drama documentary.
Strangely the cgi seemed better on the big screen. The stonking surround sound probably helped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'Cosmos' 2019.

A UK production.
Three blokes looking at the sky making a movie of their antics with dramatic music. That's it.
They apparently hear something that might be extra terrestrial, but you shouldn't expect ET or Star Wars.
Three blokes in a Volvo, with the appropriate amount of woke, without females, (which would have upped the interest).
Avoid or consider suicide.

Watching shiite so you don't have to.

Edited to add: Think of the worst Doctor Who episode you have ever seen, then think of one ever more dire.
Over an hour of my life I won't get back.

Last edited:
Much has been said of 'Joker 2019' that I am watching on the telly box.
Phoenix does not look well at all, despite the makeup, I'd be surprised if he managed a Joker 2.
Still, a weird film and halfway through.

NSP

LE
Semper Fi. Cop-cum-NG SSgt takes his platoon to Iraq, minus his half-brother who gets banged up the night before deployment for murder when he fights off two assailants in a bar khazi. SSgt comes back, hatches a plan to spring bonzo, squad pitch in. Not as utterly shite as it sounds or I thought it would be.

NSP

LE
Phoenix does not look well at all, despite the makeup, I'd be surprised if he managed a Joker 2.
Channelling Heath Ledger, who also was "unwell" when he played The Joker? Very unwell...

Semper Fi. Cop-cum-NG SSgt takes his platoon to Iraq, minus his half-brother who gets banged up the night before deployment for murder when he fights off two assailants in a bar khazi. SSgt comes back, hatches a plan to spring bonzo, squad pitch in. Not as utterly shite as it sounds or I thought it would be.
post #23,629

I thought it was a decent flick.

Much has been said of 'Joker 2019' that I am watching on the telly box.
Still, a weird film and halfway through.
Quoting my own post re the 'Joker'.

EDITED TO ADD: Spoiler alert.

Apologies to those that commented on it favourably in previous posts, I'm afraid I was bitterly disappointed.
Perhaps I missed something by watching it on a lowly 50 inch TV and not in a cinema, but I thought the acting was exaggerated and story, weak. I confess to not liking JP as an actor or as a person but all I saw in this was him trying too hard to fit in as the character, (who would want to hire a manic depressive clown (stand fast @Bravo_Bravo )) and the plot was predictable.
I looked into what the meejia said about his performance (wiki) and let their view sum up why I didn't care for it: "Phoenix is astonishing as a mentally ill geek who becomes the killer-clown Joker in Todd Phillips' neo-Taxi Driver knockout: the rare comic-book movie that expresses what's happening in the real world."

It really fvcking doesn't.

Last edited:
Anyone watched the new Terminator, is it worth seeing at the Cinema

Only asking in that it's still on at my local, but I don't want to be disappointed like the last time

NSP

LE
Mission Impossible 2. It was cr@p
Is that the one where Anthony Hopkins makes the disgustingly sexist (but very, very true!) line about Thandie Newton's character: "What do you mean she's not qualified? All she's got to do is go to bed with a man and lie to him. She's a woman; she's perfectly qualifed!"...?

'Cosmos' 2019.

A UK production.
Three blokes looking at the sky making a movie of their antics with dramatic music. That's it.
They apparently hear something that might be extra terrestrial, but you shouldn't expect ET or Star Wars.
Three blokes in a Volvo, with the appropriate amount of woke, without females, (which would have upped the interest).
Avoid or consider suicide.

Watching shiite so you don't have to.

Edited to add: Think of the worst Doctor Who episode you have ever seen, then think of one ever more dire.
Over an hour of my life I won't get back.
At least it makes a change from endless cockney gangster / football hooligan films. Christ we have some of the best technicians, writers and actors in the world and this is all we can come up with?
And breathe.

Latest Threads