What film have you just watched?

exspy

LE
Lone Survivor.

The one thing that didn't sit correctly, IMHO, was that having been compromised by the goatherds, the team hiked for about half an hour, before seeking cover. I was always told that it was imperative to hike for as long as physically possible once compromised, as each mile hiked exponentially increases the radius (over all 360° around the initial compromise point) that the enemy would have to search.
Are you questioning the military abilities of Marky Mark, Taylor Kitsch, Ben Foster and Emile Hirsch?

NSP

LE
Lone Survivor. I've avoided watching it until now, because, knowing the ending (having read the book), I assumed it'd just be depressing.

I was wrong, great film, visceral action scenes and as far as I can remember, accurate to the book.

The one thing that didn't sit correctly, IMHO, was that having been compromised by the goatherds, the team hiked for about half an hour, before seeking cover. I was always told that it was imperative to hike for as long as physically possible once compromised, as each mile hiked exponentially increases the radius (over all 360° around the initial compromise point) that the enemy would have to search.
Weren't they trying to re-establish comms and, having done so, were waiting for a heli' RV (in the movie, not the book)?

I vaguely recall a Chinook rocking up as they got into the intial contact and getting swatted by ground fire, which I even more vaguely recall had come to extract the team...?

Truxx

LE
13 Hours...the whole mess in Benghazi.

A bit cheesy, but decent for a couple of hours of shut up time.
I thought that I was going to hate it, but ended up concluding that there was quite a lot said and done in it with which I identified. Surprisingly good.

TotalBanker

Old-Salt
Terminator Dark Fate. Ignores every film after T2, and carries on from end of T2. Not Oscar material obvs, but enjoyable all the same. Love any film that gets a Fostech Origin 12 with a drum mag on screen! Hamilton looking older and meaner (I mean that in a good way for her character). Can't get used to the female star of Halt and Catch Fire being an action hero though.

Awol

LE
Weren't they trying to re-establish comms and, having done so, were waiting for a heli' RV (in the movie, not the book)?

I vaguely recall a Chinook rocking up as they got into the intial contact and getting swatted by ground fire, which I even more vaguely recall had come to extract the team...?
They were trying to establish coms, and eventually did (at great cost), but the rescue attempt was abandoned after the first Chinook was hit. All that was after they'd hunkered down shortly after their first contact with the enemy. I read the book some time ago, so I don't know how this may differ from the film.

African passport? Good luck with that. Even if you're born in the country, many African countries won't give you a passport unless you're black.
Get one of these.

An acquaintance (here in the US) has a current 'prop/stage' one, he was born there, saw they were available as novelty purchases so bought himself one. He presents it if ever asked for ID and it has never been questioned by any of the septics with their wide understanding of international matters.

Available here, along with some other flavours ===> Rhodesian Camouflage Passport by Magnoli Props

NSP

LE
Get one of these.

An acquaintance (here in the US) has a current 'prop/stage' one, he was born there, saw they were available as novelty purchases so bought himself one. He presents it if ever asked for ID and it has never been questioned by any of the septics with their wide understanding of international matters.

Available here, along with some other flavours ===> Rhodesian Camouflage Passport by Magnoli Props
I used to use my seaman's book to buy booze when I was a regular visitor to the suburban townships around Chicago, as I wasn't comfortable carrying my passport around in case I lost it/had it lifted.

"Well, it says "government" so I guess that's okay, sir..."

They were trying to establish coms, and eventually did (at great cost), but the rescue attempt was abandoned after the first Chinook was hit. All that was after they'd hunkered down shortly after their first contact with the enemy. I read the book some time ago, so I don't know how this may differ from the film.
Obviously I wasn't there and can only base my opinion on the choice they made as written in the book and shown in the film.

The choice they made was to tie up the old sheppards, let the young kid go and then start the climb to reach higher ground and re-establish coms with their base team.

There were different options available though.

1) Take all of the sheppards to the top of the hill.

2) Tie up the kid and the others but let one old Sheppard go.

3) Tie up all the old ones but take the kid with them until the chopper arrived and then let the kid go.

I can only surmise that the distances and time frames were compressed for the sake of artistic licence in the film, (as was the ending) but that doesn't explain away the decisions made in the book.

Saw the Joker tonight. Easily contender for film of the decade and I can't remember the last film to leave me thinking so deeply and widely about it all.

Brilliantly deep and dark with an exceptional performance by Phoenix. Felt very much like a one man show with a cast of supporting extras and I loved it. Especially as his mind begins to trully fall apart and be rebuilt into something terrifying and the final stretch that tied it properly into Batman canon..... boom.

Deeply disturbing though, yet somehow satisfying in it. Bah, I've rewritten this post half a dozen times because I can't seem to fully decide what and how I feel about the film.
Quite agree great film that you carry on thinking about long since your eyes are glued to the screen. Great story telling, that I thought the film industy had lost the art of, my only conundrum now, how do I watch any Batman film that doesn't take the subject field into the real world the way Joker has. Or will they rise to the challenge?

Quite agree great film that you carry on thinking about long since your eyes are glued to the screen. Great story telling, that I thought the film industy had lost the art of, my only conundrum now, how do I watch any Batman film that doesn't take the subject field into the real world the way Joker has. Or will they rise to the challenge?
Indeed. A sequel to Joker that explores the early days of The Batman and links in would be amazing. Especially as, for me, they finally got the right sort of Villain created,. Nothing supernatural or super powerful but rather just terrifying, personable and likeable at the same time

KILL TEAM 2019.

Based on a true story from Afhanistan, a US Army squad set about killing unarmed civilians in Kandahar.

I honestly believe the director was trying to make a modern day Platoon, crazy Seargent, wild parties, drugs, and a Trooper with morals fighting alone against the system.

If that was the case he failed miserably! The trooper spent at least 90 minutes with an expression of anguish and so little to say that he quickly became boring, as did the film.

Anywhoo, the wife has left for work so I'm off to do some research in an Incognito tab.

Last edited:
Get one of these.

Fuck me sideways! That's going to cause a few heads to explode if the entitled ones ever figure it out.

Lone Survivor. I've avoided watching it until now, because, knowing the ending (having read the book), I assumed it'd just be depressing.

I was wrong, great film, visceral action scenes and as far as I can remember, accurate to the book.

The Peter Gabriel soundtrack alone was well worth watching the fillum.
I. I would be King..........

NSP

LE
The Peter Gabriel soundtrack alone was well worth watching the fillum.
I. I would be King..........
Although performed here by PG "Heroes" is actually a Bowie composition (with Eno) and original recording.

He does give lyrics a certain "voice."
The music selection for Joker was excellent too. Despite the lefty rage over a Gary Glitter song being on there.

It all fitted the plot twists

BopBopBop

Old-Salt
The Way.
Free on Amazon Prime.

Martin Sheen, Deborah Kara Unger, Emilio Estevez, Yorick van Wageningen, James Nesbitt and Deborah Kara Unger.

Enjoyable, slow paced, amusing, road/buddy story telling set in the Pyrenees and in the style of The Detectorists.

Did I say Deborah Kara Unger was in it?

Latest Threads