What film have you just watched?

What made it for me was everyone stuck to their own accents or thereabouts and no terrible Russian accents, which to me made it even funnier.

The standout of which was Jason Isaacs in full on gruff Yorkshire mode playing "Field Marshall Zhukov, t'leader of t'Red Armeh."
"What's a Hero of the Soviet Union got to do to get a drink round here?"

BlackDyke

War Hero
It was much better than having them all go for some generic Russian accent and was to reflect the diverity of accents among the main characters in real life as they all came from different parts of Russia.
It had been done before in Red Monarch >> Red Monarch - Wikipedia
Both Stalin and Beria being Georgians were portrayed as Ulstermen.
Good film and funny as f*ck.

BigT

LE
Do you think he killed his "girlfriend"? The way he walked out of her apartment was shot the same way as when he walked out of the Mental Health workers office as well.
I'd not thought of that but I don't think so as they'd have put someting in like the bloody footprints at the end plus I don't think he's reached the point of killing for the sake of it, he did let the dwarf go when he topped the other clown would'd got him sacked.

It was much better than having them all go for some generic Russian accent and was to reflect the diverity of accents among the main characters in real life as they all came from different parts of Russia Soviet Union.
Stalin was Georgian, IIRC, for example. ;)

ETA, too late

I already tied my boxers in a knot over that one, FFS.

I get the Hollywood shite. I also get the Hollywoood trend for trying to be reasonably realistic,

At least U-571 had a "truth statement" in the end credits,
I remember years ago someone asked me if they should buy U-571 or K19: The Widowmaker on DVD. Pretty sure I told them to get U-571 since it was just fiction, unlike K19 making a mess out of actual history and insulting the sailors that were on the sub.

You obviously don't speak that either. The spoken form is kiSwahili.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
You obviously don't speak that either. The spoken form is kiSwahili.
He'll be after an African Passport soon, he already has the American one, the European one, Australia is next, 5 continents, 5 passports!

African passport? Good luck with that. Even if you're born in the country, many African countries won't give you a passport unless you're black.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
African passport? Good luck with that. Even if you're born in the country, many African countries won't give you a passport unless you're black.
I bet he can identify as black, the SJW hipster cunt!

NSP

LE
Fifteen Minutes of War. Supposedly relates the rescue of a bus-load of French kids on the Djibouti-Somaliland border at Loyada in 1976.

However, fails to mention the involvement of the FL and suggests a fistful of GIGN sniped the kidnappers and then legged it forward over open ground and did a Shughart & Gordon from the bus, holding off the entire Somali army. Having all survived the dash armed with bolt-action rifles against AKs and about fifty gazillion MG-42s...

Not surprisingly, Google suggests that reality was somewhat different.

Still, a good movie (if you switch off from the actual history) but my, ahem, copy needs better subtitles. And there's the inevitable hammer cocked/hammer not cocked between cuts in the same scene, too.

Oh, and Olga Kurylenko is in it. Schlurp...

TamH70

MIA
Just finished watching Arnie in "Total Recall". The only films of his that come close to being as good are the Terminator films. Solid support from Sharon Stone, Rachel Ticotin, Michael Ironside and an impressively evil Ronny Cox.

Do you think he killed his "girlfriend"? The way he walked out of her apartment was shot the same way as when he walked out of the Mental Health workers office as well.
Ummm... I thought that though the lass was his neighbour, the relationship sequence was a figment of his illness as shown when she finds him on her sofa much later in the film.

Happy to be corrected.

Yeah, that'll impress 'em.

Some Brit or American woman got snottogrammed in SA a couple of years ago for identifying as black.

Latest Threads