What film have you just watched?

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
Saw two yesterday, Joker in the Cinema and the Laundromat on Netflix
Not sure if i can say i 'Enjoyed' Joker - i like my superhero films and this aint one of those, but it is a very good film, keeping you interested throughout. You can certainly see why Arthur goes the way he does, and often sympathise with his actions. Wouldnt say it was THAT violent, other than the scissor scene but often it was the implied violence when the camera cuts to Joker leaving the room - bloody footprints etc...
Shame its a standalone, i would like to see that Joker interact with Batman.

Quite enjoyed the Laundromat as well. Watched on a whim after seeing the trailer, i knew nothing about it and wasnt until near the end i realised it referred to the Panama Papers, of David Camerons dad fame. I thought it does a good job of explaining how the Rich stay rich and the little people get stomped on without realising. Some good acting by those getting stomped realising how they have been conned - a common said by me and the OH was '*********'...

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Saw two yesterday, Joker in the Cinema and the Laundromat on Netflix
Not sure if i can say i 'Enjoyed' Joker - i like my superhero films and this aint one of those, but it is a very good film, keeping you interested throughout. You can certainly see why Arthur goes the way he does, and often sympathise with his actions. Wouldnt say it was THAT violent, other than the scissor scene but often it was the implied violence when the camera cuts to Joker leaving the room - bloody footprints etc...
Shame its a standalone, i would like to see that Joker interact with Batman.

Quite enjoyed the Laundromat as well. Watched on a whim after seeing the trailer, i knew nothing about it and wasnt until near the end i realised it referred to the Panama Papers, of David Camerons dad fame. I thought it does a good job of explaining how the Rich stay rich and the little people get stomped on without realising. Some good acting by those getting stomped realising how they have been conned - a common said by me and the OH was '*********'...
Saw Joker too yesterday, enjoyed it for what it was, an explanation of how The Joker came about. The OH queried the age difference between Joker and Bruce Wayne, stating that Joker would be an old man by the time Batman came into being. Bloody women, always spoiling a good film with facts!

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
No, the latest one released last year.

I only watched the ones with Angelina in to replenish my w*nk bank.
Ah, with Alicia Vikander? I watched that one as well. The fact that it's watchable at all basically makes it the world's best video game movie.

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
I watched a few over the last week:

Fractured - (Netflix) - Sam Worthington's daughter suffers an accident at a construction site whilst travelling and he takes her to the nearest hospital. Later, the hospital denies all knowledge of his wife and daughter ever being there.
Psychological thriller that like all the best ones, veers left and right between opposing points of view. Performances were very good and Worthington is very watchable in this, as a man struggling against a conspiracy.

I'm sure pickier people than me will have a differing view, but I really liked it and as long as you don't overanalyse and second-guess the story and let it come to you, it's an enjoyable (and brief) 90 minutes.

Metallica - S&M2 - Not strictly a movie - more of a concert film, but seen at the cinema. James Hetfield and the boys hook up with the San Francisco Symphony again and belt out some of their biggest hits. Seen on a big screen, with the volume pumped up loud is worth the couple of hours investment. Not as much fun as a "proper" concert, but much better than watching it on your TV at home.

In the Tall Grass - (Netflix) - Based on a Stephen King / Joe Hill (King's son) collaboration, ITTG tells a story of malevolent shrubbery that acts like a Bermuda Triangle. Once you go in, you can't get out and your screams and pleas are heard by others who then go into the grass to help and end up screaming and pleading, so the next victims go in to try and rescue them etc.

I love Stephen King, don't mind Joe Hill, but whatever possessed them to come up with this festering pile of emu shit is anyone's guess. Terrible acting, illogical characters (they give up and are ready to die within hours? Really?) and the plot is just amoebic dysentery. Awful and unworthy of the high "Daily Rated" award it's got sploshed on it.

Mother! - (Netflix) - Jennifer Lawrence and Javier Bardem live an idyllic life, just the two of them rattling around in a massive old house. He is a constipated writer, struggling for his next epic poem and she is his muse, dedicated to renovating the old house and taking care of him. This isn't your usual Hollywood movie and Darren Aranofsky (of "Black Swan" fame) on directing duties ensures that there is a bigger than usual dollop of weird. It has an odd, off-kilter feel about it that I quite liked. It descends through the layers of "off-key," through "puzzling" and into "batshit crazy" quite effortlessly. A sense of disquiet grows throughout the film until the climax, where it rips off its face of normalcy and goes howling.

It really isn't for everyone and I doubt whether 20% of ARRSErs would agree with me, but I liked it. There is some fantastic cinematography and the camera is in love with J-Law, who has never looked more better than in this. The sound design is very, very good and has some excellent imagery as well as some extraordinary violence. Not one to watch with the wife, it's tonally similar to "Midsomar" in terms of crazy and in a world where Hollywood retreads are the height of fashion, it's worth watching something a bit different.

Last edited:

Ritch

LE
Ah, with Alicia Vikander? I watched that one as well. The fact that it's watchable at all basically makes it the world's best video game movie.
That's the one. I just kept looking at her and thinking she was a poor clone of Michelle Rodriguez.

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
'Secret Life of Pets 2' with 5 year old granddaughter. Very funny, not syrupy in a sentimental way, and with good voice characters. Well worth a look. As is often the case with animations, humour is on two levels.

The Death of Stalin.

Brutally funny and funnily brutal. It's on Amazon Prime for free if you've got that service.
What made it for me was everyone stuck to their own accents or thereabouts and no terrible Russian accents, which to me made it even funnier.

The standout of which was Jason Isaacs in full on gruff Yorkshire mode playing "Field Marshall Zhukov, t'leader of t'Red Armeh."

NSP

LE
What made it for me was everyone stuck to their own accents or thereabouts and no terrible Russian accents, which to me made it even funnier.

The standout of which was Jason Isaacs in full on gruff Yorkshire mode playing "Field Marshall Zhukov, t'leader of t'Red Armeh."
"Raht, then. Whats it tek fer a bloody war 'ero to get lubricated around 'ere?"

Just watched (again!) Apollo 13 on ITV4.
Absolute corker of a film and notwithstanding a little bit of Hollywood fluff, all the more impressive given it is based on real events. Amazing human endeavour in adversity - I can’t believe it’s the 50th anniversary next April.
Hollywood, according to @Lardbeast and quite a few people here seems to be a bad thing.

TamH70

MIA

I love the scene where he drops Vasily Stalin like a dirty pair of socks.

NSP

LE
They Fought for their [Mother]Land. Goes on a bit and there's a curious appearance in an early battle of a few Stg44's, given it's set during the 1942 German drive towards Stalingrad (and we all know how that ended up going for them).

Trying to work out what they dressed up to play the panzers. A couple of them sport very T-72-like front mud flap things but the running gear doesn't look right and they're not squat enough to my lay eye. Looks like they play PzIV but some of them are so "squared off" they look more like Tiger I's.

They Fought for their [Mother]Land. Goes on a bit and there's a curious appearance in an early battle of a few Stg44's, given it's set during the 1942 German drive towards Stalingrad (and we all know how that ended up going for them).

Trying to work out what they dressed up to play the panzers. A couple of them sport very T-72-like front mud flap things but the running gear doesn't look right and they're not squat enough to my lay eye. Looks like they play PzIV but some of them are so "squared off" they look more like Tiger I's.
T34s and T55s.

BigT

LE
Saw Joker too yesterday, enjoyed it for what it was, an explanation of how The Joker came about. The OH queried the age difference between Joker and Bruce Wayne, stating that Joker would be an old man by the time Batman came into being. Bloody women, always spoiling a good film with facts!
I liked how Thomas Wayne, Batmans dad was portrayed as an arrogant dick. It certainly lowered my empathy level for when he got the good news but I'd guess that was the writers intention. Discussing the movie with my daughter in the bar afrerwards we came to the conclusion that with the exception of the implied killing of his mental health worker at the end everyone else deserved to be off'd particularly those three blokes on the train.

BigT

LE

It was much better than having them all go for some generic Russian accent and was to reflect the diverity of accents among the main characters in real life as they all came from different parts of Russia.

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
I liked how Thomas Wayne, Batmans dad was portrayed as an arrogant dick. It certainly lowered my empathy level for when he got the good news but I'd guess that was the writers intention. Discussing the movie with my daughter in the bar afrerwards we came to the conclusion that with the exception of the implied killing of his mental health worker at the end everyone else deserved to be off'd particularly those three blokes on the train.
Do you think he killed his "girlfriend"? The way he walked out of her apartment was shot the same way as when he walked out of the Mental Health workers office as well.

Latest Threads