What film have you just watched?

Red Joan. Judy Dench as the granny spy.

Watched last night with the wife and not knowing that much about it enjoyed the story.

However, this morning we both read up on the film and about Judy Dench's character. It turns out 98% of the film is absolutel bollox. In fact the only correct thing was her name and that she was a spy.

Honestly, why bother making the film in the 1st place?
Cambridge Uni. Nope.
Dated a Cambridge spy. Nope
Forced into spying. Nope.
Boss told her secrets of the Atom Bomb. Nope.
Went to Canada for Atom bomb research. Nope.
Married her boss. Nope.
Found spy boyfriend dead. Nope.
Had a son. Nope.
Husband (boss) arrested. Nope.
Had a Spy FO official gain husbands realise and obtain passports for them to emigrate to Australia. Nope.

It gets 6 piles of dog poo from me for wasting our time.

BlackDyke

War Hero
Red Joan. Judy Dench as the granny spy.

Watched last night with the wife and not knowing that much about it enjoyed the story.

However, this morning we both read up on the film and about Judy Dench's character. It turns out 98% of the film is absolutel bollox. In fact the only correct thing was her name and that she was a spy.

Honestly, why bother making the film in the 1st place?
Cambridge Uni. Nope.
Dated a Cambridge spy. Nope
Forced into spying. Nope.
Boss told her secrets of the Atom Bomb. Nope.
Went to Canada for Atom bomb research. Nope.
Married her boss. Nope.
Found spy boyfriend dead. Nope.
Had a son. Nope.
Husband (boss) arrested. Nope.
Had a Spy FO official gain husbands realise and obtain passports for them to emigrate to Australia. Nope.

It gets 6 piles of dog poo from me for wasting our time.
Based (very loosely) on Melita Norwood who was never nicked or prosecuted.
Looks like they couldn't even get her name right.
Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a miss.

NSP

LE
Catshit 1 - The Animated Series on YT.
Ah, yes - best to point out that "Packie" is the US version of our "Paddy" for Patrick and not a racist reference to sub-continental persons!!

Ah, yes - best to point out that "Packie" is the US version of our "Paddy" for Patrick and not a racist reference to sub-continental persons!!
Its still essential viewing. Rabbit mercenaries, camels with holes cut out of their uniform for their humps and a Hind giving brother dromedary the Good News.

NSP

LE
Its still essential viewing. Rabbit mercenaries, camels with holes cut out of their uniform for their humps and a Hind giving brother dromedary the Good News.
I thought it was brilliant. I've the twenty minute all-in-one version on my movie drive.

Hinds are ace. I want one.

exspy

LE
Really? Been immersed in North American culture my whole life and have never heard that. Over here, Patrick is Pat. And a packie? Well, I'm way too woke to fall for that one... again.

Really? Been immersed in North American culture my whole life and have never heard that. Over here, Patrick is Pat. And a packie? Well, I'm way too woke to fall for that one... again.
I'm familiar with Packie as a name but hadn't associated it as an Americanism.

NSP

LE
Seems it came straight out of southern Ireland and headed over on a boaty thing or two.

Appears to be mostly a New Yoik thing rather than the other well-known Oirish centres like Boston and Chicago.

TamH70

MIA
I thought it was brilliant. I've the twenty minute all-in-one version on my movie drive.

Hinds are ace. I want one.
So do I. A Hind-F in particular. The one with the twin 30mm cannons on the side for the added "**** you" factor.

Paint it with yellow battenburgs and it would be the ideal CASEVAC vehicle for the Scottish Ambulance Service. I'd love to see the idiot daft enough to chuck stones at one of those bastards.

Watched 'The Deadly Affair' last night as it was based on one of John Le Carre's early novels; A Call For the Dead. All very sixties, very atmospheric.

Although based on the novel, the screenplay was written by Paul Dehn and whilst it kept pretty much to the plot of the novel added in a bit of a twist. The intelligence agent (Smiley in the book, Dobbs in the film) has a wife who cannot remain faithful to the point where she is exploited and seduced by the bad guy, an erstwhile friend of the agent.

Hmmmmm, now where did that plot device resurrect itself it a later JLC novel I wonder.

Awol

LE
I know its been mentioned before on this thread, but I watched the Red Sea Diving Resort last night. Interestingly, at the beginning it said 'Based on real events', as we know it is, but right at the end of the credits, there was the usual 'events entirely fictional, any similarly to real events or persons, entirely coincidental'.

Good film though, those Mossad chaps had balls of steel.

roninxix

War Hero
Joker. Brilliant film, very dark and Joaquin Phoenix certainly betters Heath Ledgers’ adaptation of the character.

Amused to hear other cinema goers grumble about Joaquin’s laugh seeming very false and forced. Did they actually listen to the film?

Highly recommended.

TamH70

MIA
The Death of Stalin.

Brutally funny and funnily brutal. It's on Amazon Prime for free if you've got that service.

Just watched "Layer Cake " again for the first time in a while. Best British gangster film since The Long Good Friday.

Catshit 1 - The Animated Series on YT.
Dammit! I thought there was more episodes than the one I saw. Didn't realize they had put the two episodes together and called it a series.

Fecking brilliantly done though. Wouldn't mind reading the manga series

EDIT: Found it online

Last edited:

Latest Threads