What film have you just watched?

I don't go much for reviews of films and certainly generally avoid joining threads that are 1181 pages long but felt I had to mention this film somewhere...

Purple Sunset (2001)

Set in northeastern China in the last month of WW2, it follows a small group (Chinese, Russian and Japanese) who fate has thrown together. I wont say any more for two reasons - firstly, it's not predictable so it would spoil the viewing "pleasure", secondly, I doubt I could review to an adequate standard.

It comes under the heading of an anti-war movie but without shoving pacifism in your face - much like "All Quiet on the Western Front" (only better). It's clearly been done on a low budget but as low-budget films go, I'd say that the budget has been well-spent. They could have spent 10s of millions more on it without markedly improving the outcome. Dubbing into English (it's in Chinese with English subtitles) would be the only thing that I'd suggest worthy of an investment of few quid.

Anyway, give it a go.

Just watched Shepherds and Butchers.
Supposedly based on a true story in 1987 South Africa.
A young prison guard (17ys old) takes part in 164 hangings in a year.
He suffers from a type of PTSD and he shoots and kills 7 black men on a bus.

Apart from the dodgy SA accents it's a decent story. Steve Coogen is wonderfully miscast as the defence lawyer and you keep expecting him to burst into Ah ha.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Trans-sane

LE
Book Reviewer
Just watched Joker. Hmm... Really not a feel-good film. In fact it could justifiably be described as being very disturbing. But brilliant start to finish. The plot, script and character development was everything Ad Astra was not. Its difficult to say if this is the best film I've seen this year or if it was the final instalment of How to Train Your Dragon because they were clearly such different films. But Joker is sublime in its writing and acting.

Dropped today and just watched it.

It's not what some might have been expecting but works well. Excellent performance from Aaron Paul, especially in the longer slower paced flashback scenes with the Neo Nazi nut job Todd
I thought they did a job with it. It would have been easy to do it like breaking bad and seem like a dead horse flogging. Really showed Todd as extremely disturbing . I liked the fact the first shots of todd were obscured so you did not notice the actors weight gain , almost to get you used to the difference before the fill shots of him . Very clever.

Driven 2019. About John DeLorean and the FBI sting against him, it could have been a great film but failed because the director didn't seem to know whether it was a comedy script or a serious one.

Trans-sane

LE
Book Reviewer
Last night we also watched the new Will Smith vehicle Gemini Man. Meh. Ang Lee directs. Which means its a visually spectacular extravaganza of improbable but fairly entertaining violence. Don't expect anything plausible or any deep and meaningful character development. But it killed a couple of hours far more enjoyably than the never-sufficiently-cursed Ad Astra.

Yes I utterly despise Ad Astra as it is so ******* bad...

TamH70

MIA
I just watched a film based on the inside story of the development of the AJAX weapons system, from its earliest beginnings to the current balls-ups, oh, wait. Scratch that.

I meant the Bradley Fighting Vehicle, didn't I?

It was of course "The Pentagon Wars", based on the fight to get the Bradley to a stage were riding in it was a little less than being in a bucket of instant death. The similarities between the two uber-expensive weapons programmes had me confused for a second or two.

"Semper Fi"
I wasn't sure what to expect.
It took a while to get there but a decent movie. I don't want to spoil it but I quite enjoyed it.
Basically the TA (or whatever the fvck they call it these days) group of chaps trying to do the right thing.
Some decent acting.

Caught a trailer for "Zombieland 2" yesterday and remembered how good the first one was so I just downloaded the first for another look,.
I'm surprised the first one didn't have a greater success.
Funny and entertaining.

Club Swinger

War Hero
Just got back in after watching a jaw dropping Oscar Winning performance from Rene' Zellweger in Judy, the biopic on the latter years of Judy Garland's declining career.

She absolutely nailed it. Loved every minute of it.

Ray & Liz (2018)

The autobiographical debut film from photographer Richard Billingham.

Total piece of genius but totally depressing and if you like a beginning, middle and end to a film then this probably not for you.

The attention to detail in this one is incredible, well worth a watch but beware as it is truly grim.

Oily101

Swinger
Eddie the Eagle on Ch4. What a lovely film. No swearies, or nuddies or anything like that.

I also found out that the lad who played Eddie also played Eggsy in Kingsman. Well I never!

View attachment 334589

Bit disappointed that Hugh Jackman didn't get his kit off, but you can't have everything.
Watched on Netflix over the weekend.
A wonderful film, the camera work is extremely good

I don't go much for reviews of films and certainly generally avoid joining threads that are 1181 pages long but felt I had to mention this film somewhere...

Purple Sunset (2001)

Set in northeastern China in the last month of WW2, it follows a small group (Chinese, Russian and Japanese) who fate has thrown together. I wont say any more for two reasons - firstly, it's not predictable so it would spoil the viewing "pleasure", secondly, I doubt I could review to an adequate standard.

It comes under the heading of an anti-war movie but without shoving pacifism in your face - much like "All Quiet on the Western Front" (only better). It's clearly been done on a low budget but as low-budget films go, I'd say that the budget has been well-spent. They could have spent 10s of millions more on it without markedly improving the outcome. Dubbing into English (it's in Chinese with English subtitles) would be the only thing that I'd suggest worthy of an investment of few quid.

Anyway, give it a go.

I've seen that one while trawling youtube but never got round to warching it. I'll give it a try. Thanks for the heads up.

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
Just add my tuppence-worth in for Joker. I'm not a DC nerd or big fan of superheroes in general. Watch 'em, forget 'em.

Joker was different in that it felt "real." No superhero battles, no CGI, no staples of the superhero films. What we got is a genuinely touching story of a man for whom the dice rolled badly, setting a domino-effect in motion. I think that the last Joaquin Phoenix film I saw was "Gladiator," so it's fair to say that I haven't watched a lot of his canon, but I was surprised by how nuanced his performance was.

His transformation from Arthur Fleck to Joker is credible and believable. The cinematography was sublime and the set design was perfect. Here was Gotham, grimy and bleak, breeding discontent and outrage in equal measures.

It's a slow burning film and I doubt whether it's everyone's cup of tea, but the Guardian and Pete Bradshaw can suck donkey d!cks, because I thought it was great.

PS. Anyone equating this with incels deserve a punch to the back of the neck. It has nothing to do with sex, unlike inceldom. Arthur wants someone to love him, to hold him, to be his friend. To be respected or even liked. Arthur just wants to be acknowledged as a person. He's so far away from craving sex that he is to all intents and purposes, asexual.

Still, way to shoehorn something into a film where it doesn't exist.

I'm not into deconstruction.

Go watch Joker, it'll blow yer socks off. Only the bravest director uses Gary Glitter's music as his soundtrack, but that palls into the faintest inconsequence compared to the sheer effing oomph of this movie.

Mrsheeny

Old-Salt
Just watched Joker. Hmm... Really not a feel-good film. In fact it could justifiably be described as being very disturbing. But brilliant start to finish. The plot, script and character development was everything Ad Astra was not. Its difficult to say if this is the best film I've seen this year or if it was the final instalment of How to Train Your Dragon because they were clearly such different films. But Joker is sublime in its writing and acting.
I read that in the voice of Christian Bale in American Phsyco.

Club Swinger

War Hero
Just add my tuppence-worth in for Joker. I'm not a DC nerd or big fan of superheroes in general. Watch 'em, forget 'em.

Joker was different in that it felt "real." No superhero battles, no CGI, no staples of the superhero films. What we got is a genuinely touching story of a man for whom the dice rolled badly, setting a domino-effect in motion. I think that the last Joaquin Phoenix film I saw was "Gladiator," so it's fair to say that I haven't watched a lot of his canon, but I was surprised by how nuanced his performance was.

His transformation from Arthur Fleck to Joker is credible and believable. The cinematography was sublime and the set design was perfect. Here was Gotham, grimy and bleak, breeding discontent and outrage in equal measures.

It's a slow burning film and I doubt whether it's everyone's cup of tea, but the Guardian and Pete Bradshaw can suck donkey d!cks, because I thought it was great.

PS. Anyone equating this with incels deserve a punch to the back of the neck. It has nothing to do with sex, unlike inceldom. Arthur wants someone to love him, to hold him, to be his friend. To be respected or even liked. Arthur just wants to be acknowledged as a person. He's so far away from craving sex that he is to all intents and purposes, asexual.

Still, way to shoehorn something into a film where it doesn't exist.
If you think Joaquin Phoenix is brilliant in his role as the Joker, then add Walk The Line to your list of must see films, Phoenix plays Johnny Cash with equal attention to detail.

John Wick 3. Watched about 5 minutes, fast forwarded it for a bit then switched it off - utter shite.

My honor was loyalty on youtube. I thought it would be shite but it was actually OK and watched it to the end. Acting was a bit cheesy but the main character was believable. Leibstandarte - subtitled.

Latest Threads