What film have you just watched?

Back on thread:

I just watched again one of the funniest movies I have ever seen.
"Ruthless People"
I saw it in the theatre when it was first out in the late 90's and last week picked up a DVD in the discount bin at the supermarket.
Stars Danny DeVito, Bette Middler and Judge Reinhold.
Danny DeVito plays a clothing manufacturer who hates his wife (Bette Middler) but due to his financial setup cannot divorce his wife without losing everything. Judge Reinhold plays a man married to a young fashion designer whose designs had been ripped off by DeVito. Reinhold and wife kidnap DeVito's wife and say they will kill her if ransom is not paid which makes DeVito ecstatic.
No more details but it is really funny with good performances, especially by Bette.
Would you recommend the Dominator X-1 though?

Jeremiah Johnson - an old school Revenant survival film. Like its sibling, the story is based on a real trapper played by Bob Redford battling a hard existence, just with more story and less padding. Made in 1972 it's aged well, some good films were made in the 1970s and studios must have paid well because Redford owned most of the scenery. With its extreme weather and scenery it's worth a punt.

Lancaster Skies. Slow burner atempt at remaking Memphis Belle from an RAF standpoint. Plenty of stiff upper lip but no explanation of how an uptight Spitfire pilot suddenly gets type-converted to Lancs. Does a good job in the end, though.

On the outbound leg the nav' calls "Passing Berlin" and later "Hold course 141°" so f**k knows where they were laying the eggs.

Back on thread:

I just watched again one of the funniest movies I have ever seen.
"Ruthless People"
I saw it in the theatre when it was first out in the late 90's and last week picked up a DVD in the discount bin at the supermarket.
Stars Danny DeVito, Bette Middler and Judge Reinhold.
Danny DeVito plays a clothing manufacturer who hates his wife (Bette Middler) but due to his financial setup cannot divorce his wife without losing everything. Judge Reinhold plays a man married to a young fashion designer whose designs had been ripped off by DeVito. Reinhold and wife kidnap DeVito's wife and say they will kill her if ransom is not paid which makes DeVito ecstatic.
No more details but it is really funny with good performances, especially by Bette.
Love the scene where he gets the phone call.

"If you notify the police, your wife will be killed. If you notify the media, she will be killed. If you deviate from our instructions in any way whatsoever, she will be killed. Do you understand?"

"Perfectly"

Cue next scene of police cars surrounding the house, sirens and lights blaring, and the news crews filming everything. And Danny DeVito popping champange and celebrating.

Last edited:
I don't watch TV any more.

In a hotel; turned TV on to get radio channels just as THE BLUES BROTHERS is kicking off!!!!

It's 100 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark- and we're wearing sunglasses.

Lancaster Skies. Slow burner atempt at remaking Memphis Belle from an RAF standpoint. Plenty of stiff upper lip but no explanation of how an uptight Spitfire pilot suddenly gets type-converted to Lancs. Does a good job in the end, though.

On the outbound leg the nav' calls "Passing Berlin" and later "Hold course 141°" so f**k knows where they were laying the eggs.

Memphis Belle was adapted from a script/pitch based on a Bomber Command story.

I bet they've got SCMODS.

Red Joan. Based on a real case. Dame Judy gifts the Soviet with out WWII atomic secrets; secures peace by directly contributing to MAD.

303 Squadron. Miles better than Hurricane. Good CGI and the odd clip from Battle of Britain. The flashback bits to pre-war tales of escape from the invaders are a bit distracting but not too bad all-in-all.

Asterix & The Mansions of Gods. Animated telling of the Goscinny and Uderzo book. Can't help but think that the animators were getting a bit political when they drew the credits sequence. This map of Europe is supposed to be made up of legionaries shields:-

vlcsnap-00003.jpg

The frames after this show Asterix's fist smashing through them from below.

Foxtrot me.

Advert in Blues Brothers break... bear in mind I don't do tv- using "why don't you " tune for the Go Outdoors chain.

That's "why don't you" the 1970s/80s Saturday morning thing.

Presumably the demographic is 50s guys like me trying to clamber up mountains before the knees finally surrender and buying kit for teenagers in a desperate effort to make them leave the house?

I don't watch TV any more.

In a hotel; turned TV on to get radio channels just as THE BLUES BROTHERS is kicking off!!!!

It's 100 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark- and we're wearing sunglasses.
It's 106 miles to Chicago.

Still watching the ITV edit.

Ray Charles isn't obviously blind; no jokes.

However Carrie Fisher is still hydrogen bomb hot and equipped with flamethrower, rocket launcher and IED.

A shame she's dead I have a lob on for her. Again.