What film have you just watched?

White House Down.

Would be an okay film if it wasn't for the horrendous green screen effects.

Well, that and the crap acting and firing of assault rifles one handed with pinpoint accuracy by rednecks.

Last edited:

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I prefer Rio Grande. In that movie the French looking officer with the eyepatch is Peter Julian Ortiz, OBE. He was a gunrunner thrown on the indians fire in She wore a yellow ribbon. He also was the USAAF weatherman in '12 O'clock High"

Peter J. Ortiz - Wikipedia
Blimey! He was a bit of a lad. An ideal candidate for a filmic biography.

Haywire and In The Blood. STDVD fodder but there's something hot about a tidy lass kicking the absolute shit out of na'er-do-wells.

Captain Marvel. The cat steals it - especially during the max thrust high-G escape velocity-attaining bit.

Iron Sky: The Coming Race. Not as darkly comic as the first one but still pretty funny. Heil Kortsfleisch!

Wunderland (a Battle of the Bulge flick). Fuck me but Tom Berenger puts his name to some seriously shit movies.

FYI for Deadwood series watchers, the Film is being streamed this weekend on HBO.

SPOILER="BIG SPOILERS BELOW _ MOVE ALONG SONNY IF YOU DON'T WANT TO SEE THEM."=SPOILER
1559315413046.png

On the other hand the spoilers do give anyone who didn't see the series the basics on what the film is all about.

Whoo, Sheriff Bullock & Sidekick.
1559314291131.png

The Deadwood movie: Everything you need to know before watching. After 13 years you may be a little hazy on the Deadwood details. We’ll bring you up to speed. By Russ Frushtick.

Nearly 13 years ago, Deadwood ended in the worst way possible. The series finale was one of the most brutal, gut punch cliffhangers in television history, leaving dedicated fans without any semblance of closure.

But, against all odds, Deadwood is back. Deadwood: The Movie premieres Friday, May 31 on HBO. And unless you just wrapped up another rewatch of the series (which you should because it’s great), you’re going to be a little lost. But worry not! This piece will bring you back up to speed with Bullock, Swearengen all your Dakota buddies.

SHOULD I WATCH DEADWOOD: THE MOVIE WITHOUT HAVING SEEN THE SHOW?
Good God, no. Don’t even try. Seriously. While the Deadwood movie does offer some brief snippets to remind people of past events, it absolutely requires an intense familiarity with the original show and its characters. Please don’t start here. It’d be like making Avengers: Endgame the first MCU movie you watch. You will be very confused.

THE HORRIBLE GEORGE HEARST
1559314553817.png

Now that it’s just the Deadheads in here, we can skip past all the basics of Al Swearengen being a bar owner, Seth Bullock being a sheriff, and E.B. Farnum being a sweaty mess. We’re going to get into so heavy Deadwood season 3 spoilers.

At its core, Deadwood is about a rich mining town trying to keep control of itself as outside forces push in, attempting to take the town for themselves. The pressing event throughout the series is the impending statehood of the Dakota territory and what it means for the inhabitants of Deadwood.

Those outside influences are best personified by one man: George Hearst. First introduced in season 2, Hearst is a business magnate with a keen focus on mining operations. Given the richness of Deadwood’s Black Hills, Hearst decides he’s going to set up his next major mining operation right there.

Hearst immediately uses his infinite wealth to start buying up the claims around Deadwood, gaining influence within the town, much to the chagrin of Swearengen and Bullock. But there is one mining operation Hearst can’t secure: Alma Garret’s. After a life of being shoved around by men, Alma is unwilling to budge when Hearst offers to buy her operation, the most profitable in the region. Hearst is not amused.

Alma’s refusal to sell is backed by Whitney Ellsworth, her husband, her mine’s operating manager, and the nicest man alive. Ellsworth has a history with Hearst, having seen first-hand his murderous business tactics at the Comstock silver mine years before.

Hearst’s rage over not being able to make the purchase bubbles over in a series of events. He brings in hired guns and threatens to tear the town apart. He also has Ellsworth assassinated.

TRIXIE ENTERS THE PICTURE
1559314522201.png

Ellsworth’s death shatters the town. He was universally beloved, and his body being carted through the streets proves the horrors that Hearst is willing to commit to get his way.

Trixie (“The Whore” as she says when pressed for a surname) was especially close to Ellsworth. When she sees his dead body on the cart, she spins into a rage. She marches right into Hearst’s hotel, knocks on his door, flashes her nethers to distract him (this is important!) and shoots him with a derringer pistol.

Hearst doesn’t die. Drag. Instead, he’s just wounded, very pissed off, and he wants revenge. He goes to Swearengen, asking for the death of the woman who shot him. Swearengen knows he has to present a body. Otherwise Hearst will have the entire town burned. But Swearengen also has a keen fondness for Trixie. He decides he’s going to kill another one of his prostitutes and present her in Trixie’s clothes to try to fool Hearst.

The ruse is successful, and Hearst is convinced that the woman who shot him is now dead. Alma sells her claim to Hearst to prevent further death and Hearst leaves the town, which is reeling from the death and destruction he caused. Outside of a non-fatal bullet wound, Hearst comes out of season 3 getting essentially everything he wanted. Which is what makes Deadwood’s series finale so damn brutal.

WHEN DOES THE MOVIE TAKE PLACE?
Deadwood: The Movie is set 10 years after the series. Without spoiling anything, the events of the movie are directly tie into the end of season 3. The cast list confirms that George Hearst (now a California senator) has returned to Deadwood, and he predictably plays a big role in the film.

Beyond that, if you’ve been waiting for 13 years for some closure to the Deadwood universe, just sit back and enjoy it. You’ve earned it.

Joannie Stubbs is back as well - the love of my life.
1559315906073.png

Last edited:

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Captain Marvel. The cat steals it - especially during the max thrust high-G escape velocity-attaining bit.

Iron Sky: The Coming Race. Not as darkly comic as the first one but still pretty funny. Heil Kortsfleisch!

Wunderland (a Battle of the Bulge flick). Fuck me but Tom Berenger puts his name to some seriously shit movies.
Thanks for mentioning Iron Sky 2, I'd forgotten it had been released, filled some time at work last night. As you said, not as good as the first one, but funny enough.

Anyone watched Arrival? I’m single this weekend (Missus away) and it’s one of the films I’ve downloaded. Recommended or not?

It's a very good film which makes you think but you'll need to watch it a couple of times to understand it.

(I'm not going to spoil it for you apart from the fact that nothing pops out of anybody's chest)

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Now then if you are fed up with films containing violence and swearing for swearings sake, no real good story and crap acting that just relies on computer special effects to hold it together then why not watch an old 1954 film set in 1912 England in the fictional town of Brumley, yes Brumley.
I’m talking of An Inspector Calls, a very well to do family are finishing their meal and the head of the family and factory owner as well as Mayor is in line for a Knighthood. They meant something back then, everything is looking rosy and then.......from know where a police inspector appears and starts to ask some very probing questions and demands answers from each member of the family.
A film based on the famous play by J B Priestly and is currently on Amazon Prime. I watched the play many many years ago in London and enjoyed the film almost as much as the play.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
I’m going to watch Dream Catcher later tonight. Has any one else watched it?
Don’t want to waste my time but it appears to have a decent cast.

Just sat and watched a couple from my youth ..

Christine. Based on the Stephen King book about the possessed Plymouth Fury. Crap film. Intro with "Bad to the Bone" is the best bit.

Maximum Overdrive. Comet passing the earth makes machines come alive and attack humans. AC/DC soundtrack saves it but the bit where the coke machine spams cans at everyone at a kids baseball game and the steamroller squashes the kids is mildly amusing.

Now then if you are fed up with films containing violence and swearing for swearings sake, no real good story and crap acting that just relies on computer special effects to hold it together then why not watch an old 1954 film set in 1912 England in the fictional town of Brumley, yes Brumley.
I’m talking of An Inspector Calls, a very well to do family are finishing their meal and the head of the family and factory owner as well as Mayor is in line for a Knighthood. They meant something back then, everything is looking rosy and then.......from know where a police inspector appears and starts to ask some very probing questions and demands answers from each member of the family.
A film based on the famous play by J B Priestly and is currently on Amazon Prime. I watched the play many many years ago in London and enjoyed the film almost as much as the play.
An excellent film and it is still very relevant in some of its moral lessons I feel. That we need to be les sof a bunch of ********* to eachother as a race and a society and take responsibility for our actions.

Wild Wild West. Silliness and Salma Hayek's chest. What's not to like on a Friday afternoon?

Working through GoT season eight now.

And getting quietly pissed...

I love the first weekend off the boat. :)

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Well I watched Dream Catcher and it was, er hang on a moment.
Four old friends go on their yearly hunting trip to a cabin in the middle of winter with plenty of snow, then strange things start to happen.

Strange, yes thats the word Damien Lewis from Band of Brothers fame was in it and he was a funny nasty bugger, Morgan Freeman and a few others, a good cast fighting aliens that look very nasty.
Well it was based on a Stephen King book, haven’t read the book so can not comment on that, the film.
Full of gore good special effects and funny at the same time, no need to concentrate on the story and it passes a few hours if you’re bored.