What film have you just watched?

TamH70

MIA
Pokemon: Detective Pikachu.

Much, much, much better than I expected. Acting on point throughout. It would have helped a bit if I knew what more of the Pokemon were but I still thoroughly enjoyed it.

6 Days.

About Them and their uninvited visit to the Iranian embassy in 1980. Good points are the Met plod discovering that the underwater knife fighters were in the vicinity and were chomping at the bit to kill the bad guys... Bless.

Bad point was the Kate Adie character who, although being world-class totty, tried way too hard to get her voice right. The actress is Australian, but was so stilted I strongly suspect she was gripping a baseball bat within her clunge the whole time.

Overall though, good flm.
Yeah, thought I would give it a re-run after you reminded me that I did have the DVD and originally thought it an OK film but not a great film. What did get my attention this viewing was the interchange between the Met and the green and the reluctance of the Met to hand over responsibility and the demand to have written confirmation by the green.

The reason this got my interest was that I was recently told of the reluctance by the NSW Police to hand over responsibility for the Lindt Cafe siege to the 2nd Commando Regt. This was despite the fact that the commandos, who are the anti-terrorist unit for eastern Australia had made a mock-up of the cafe, practiced entry scenarios and were better equipped for the task. In the end a hostage was killed when she was hit by fragments of a high velocity round fired by the police SOG when they stormed the building.

That aside, the film is still OK and brought back memories as I lived not far from Princess Gate when I was in London 1974 - 75 and a mate was caretaker at the RCGP building and showed me through it on one occasion.

Saw Donbass last night at the Chichester New Park Cinema.

It's a small local cinema but really good facilities with seating for approx., 115. But there was only 5 people in it viewing, and two of those were the ushers.

Which is a shame since the film was a fairly good black comedy about the war in east Ukraine which had won an award at Cannes. I should think the low turnout was due to it being foreign, not being that well publicised and on limited release.

Donbass review – freakish fake-news kaleidoscope of Ukrainian civil war

The film was partly funded by Ukraine Film so has a biased outlook with the separatists being painted in a negative light.

There are a couple of scenes which jar, one of them being the end scene where the actors and extras who take part in fake news footage of innocent civilians killed by Ukrainian shelling, are themselves murdered to be then included in a fake news item about them being murdered. although the film is based on the current troubles in east Ukraine, I can't believe this would occur, even though the separatist leaders themselves are being bumped off in power struggles.

But on the whole, a well put together film. There are no main characters, but separate scenes with most linked by the characters passing into the next scene with the action picked up as if in a relay by the actors in that scene, with some well observed bittersweet, and also grotesque and dark, imagery.

and the demand to have written confirmation by the green
Well if you call a biroed script on the surface of a table napkin as confirmation......... allegedly.

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I will self publish it through Amazon and whizz a copy off to @Auld-Yin to review, but he is a tad pi**ed off I haven't finished writing my own latest (over a year late).
Harrumph! Not just him, either.:grin:

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil, and Vile (2019) - IMDb
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2481498/

Watched it last night with the wife, it isn't on UK Netflix so I switched the VPN back to Canada on there it was.

It is a well done film about Ted Bundy (Serial Killer 1970's for the nigs), Violent, Wicked, Evil, Shocking and Brutal, it isn't, it's more about the relationship with his girlfriend during his murder spree and his charisma that caused thousands of women to fall for him. But worth a watch.
It's a very good film, and a good telling of the story. There have been outbursts of outrage because Zac Efron is so handsome, charming and charismatic. I think the protesters missed the point; Bundy was all of these things, which is how he was able to secure his victims.
I was pleasantly surprised at how good it was.

It's a very good film, and a good telling of the story. There have been outbursts of outrage because Zac Efron is so handsome, charming and charismatic. I think the protesters missed the point; Bundy was all of these things, which is how he was able to secure his victims.
I was pleasantly surprised at how good it was.
I agree with you there, Efron looked exactly like Bundy, and even the girls that survived said he was a good looking charming man, so yeah, I don't understand the outrage either.

GreyArea

War Hero
Edge of Tomorrow on Channel 5

Brilliant movie, Tom Cruise plays a great part and I'd crawl a mile over broken glass just to have Emily Blunt p*ss on my back.

Last edited:

NSP

LE
Nodded off to Last Man Standing (the prohibition-era setting remake of A Fistful of Dollars).

Bruce Willis managing to put thirty or forty rounds down at a time from a pair of M1911s with standard capacity mags is very soporific, it seems.

Or it could just be his wooden acting and the piss-poor direction and lack of pace to the plot.

TamH70

MIA

Brilliant movie, Tom Cruise plays a great part and I'd crawl a mile over broken glass just to have Emily Blunt p*ss on my back.
If you can, get hold of the Blu-Ray. There's a good documentary on how they made the film and discusses the tech they used.

Great film, the book (Live. Die. Repeat., or All you need is kill) is a good read too.