What film have you just watched?

Timothy Dalton's first Bond film, "The Living Daylights". Quite good action, some great set pieces, and Maryam D'Abo is hot in an understated fashion. It's also head and shoulders above any film that the Blond B.I.N.O. ever starred in, because I will happily rewatch it again at some point.
I quite like the Craig Bond films to be honest. They are a lot more enjoyable than most. Though, for me, Dalton was the best of the Bonds. I loved The Living Daylights and Licence to Kill.

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
I've said it before, but DC is a superb Bond being wasted on terrible Bond films. yes, you can veer too far into camp and ridiculousness as we've seen with Rog and Pierce, but Bond at his best (and I include the Dalton films in that - highly underrated was our Tim) was always a bit cartoony and larger than life. not the grim dirges DC has starred in up to now. if I want a Bourne film I'll watch a Bourne film.

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
King Of Thieves with Michael Caine - a big disappointment imho. veers in tone but mostly mean spirited and unpleasant. the characters are all pretty unsympathetic in the end. it's on Prime now so I least I didn't pay for it.

6 Days.

About Them and their uninvited visit to the Iranian embassy in 1980. Good points are the Met plod discovering that the underwater knife fighters were in the vicinity and were chomping at the bit to kill the bad guys... Bless.

Bad point was the Kate Adie character who, although being world-class totty, tried way too hard to get her voice right. The actress is Australian, but was so stilted I strongly suspect she was gripping a baseball bat within her clunge the whole time.

Overall though, good flm.

6 Days.

About Them and their uninvited visit to the Iranian embassy in 1980. Good points are the Met plod discovering that the underwater knife fighters were in the vicinity and were chomping at the bit to kill the bad guys... Bless.

Bad point was the Kate Adie character who, although being world-class totty, tried way too hard to get her voice right. The actress is Australian, but was so stilted I strongly suspect she was gripping a baseball bat within her clunge the whole time.

Overall though, good flm.
I've posted elsewhere that I thought that the film was a bit of a let down. However I recently came across a Kiwi interview with Kate Adie on YouTube. She said that the film didn't include the bit where the police wanted her to go in and interview the terrorists. Frankly this was the first that is heard of this, considering that pretty much every minute and every act of the siege has been in someone's book.

So, did this bombshell really happen or is Kate Adie walting a bit? Has anyone on here heard of this?

Last edited:
I've posted elsewhere that I thought that the film was a bit of a let down. However I recently came across a Kiwi interview with Kate Adie on YouTube. She said that the film didn't include the bit where the police wanted her to go in and interview the terrorists. Frankly this was the first that is heard of this, considering that pretty much every minute and every act of the siege has been in someone's book.

So, did this bombshell really happen or is Kate Adie walting a bit? Has anyone on here heard of this?
Didn't the BBC use to say that it's not a proper war until Kate Adie turns up to cover it? She probably was correct, or at least I wouldn't completely dismiss the possibility.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Didn't the BBC use to say that it's not a proper war until Kate Adie turns up to cover it? She probably was correct, or at least I wouldn't completely dismiss the possibility.
I think it was us who used to say that if Kate Adie turned up, it was going to go proper ballistic, before that it was just a fracas.

There was a report years ago, that when the assault went in at the embassy, she in fact screamed then ran off down the street. She/the BBC went to court to refute this scurrilous accusation when she was just being touted as their ‘fearless’ correspondent.

Just got round to watching "World of Mine".

Very good. And fairly accurate.

Worth seeing.
Didn't see a film with exactly that title. The closest I could come was "Were the World Mine" but somehow I don't think this is the movie you watched - or is it? :?

The World Is Mine.JPG

Didn't see a film with exactly that title. The closest I could come was "Were the World Mine" but somehow I don't think this is the movie you watched - or is it? :?

View attachment 394048
Not quite...though it's telling that YouTube or your google search history would have recommended that to you! :)

Try:

The full version I found didn't have subtitles, but as an ex-BAOR Cold War warrior, I was pleased that my German was still up to it!

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
John Wick 3: Parabellum.

Fight scenes last too long, too little story written on the back of a fag packet. Obvious, the story is just a cutscene between fight sequences.
Halle Berry still fit, but her acting in this is atrocious. Really bad.
John Wick appears to be invincible, being bounced off cars, smashed through glass and thrown off tall buildings with nary a mark, which is in stark contrast to the first movie.
No character development and no "heart."

Despite what should be crushing flaws, I enjoyed it immensely and felt myself go with it. Recommended.

Finally getting around to a cinema production of 1966, the Battle of Long Tan, Australian Army, in Vietnam.

Looks promising..

Edited to add: Includes display and usage of "THAT rifle"..
Good pointer, cheers.

I shall have to have a word with the Mrs about getting a duster around the place.

Just watched it as well. Cracking film.
I wonder how true the manos arriba story was when he described killing over 50 banditos.

Sent from my AGS2-W09 using Tapatalk
Bumped into this:

The "manos arriba" story that Gault tells is also based on truth, though in reality it was bootleggers smuggling alcohol during the Prohibition that he killed, and there were only six of them, not sixty. Moreover, Gault himself was not actually present during this incident.

From here: ===> The Highwaymen True Story: What Really Happened With Bonnie & Clyde