What film have you just watched?

Just looked it up and vaguely remember it.

Theres another film called "Let's Get Harry" which has a similar plot.
See what you mean, though that does have echoes of Uncommon Valour as well.

There seems to be a whole genre of 1980s American buddy movies where men re-define who they are by going overseas, visiting violence on others, don't achieve their goal, but under go a personal growth journey that makes all the dead floppies a sacrifice worth doing......

I wonder what event in contemporary US history made that such a saleable narrative at that time? :salut:

E2A: I also realise that I've just described 90% of the Movies4men schedule!

See what you mean, though that does have echoes of Uncommon Valour as well.

There seems to be a whole genre of 1980s American buddy movies where men re-define who they are by going overseas, visiting violence on others, don't achieve their goal, but under go a personal growth journey that makes all the dead floppies a sacrifice worth doing......

I wonder what event in contemporary US history made that such a saleable narrative at that time? :salut:

E2A: I also realise that I've just described 90% of the Movies4men schedule!
It was hell man! You just don't know, you weren't there!

:applaud::applaud::applaud::applaud::applaud::applaud::applaud::applaud:

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Actually, while I'm lingering here, Stan and Ollie is a superb movie. Steve Coogan and John C. Reilly are both on top form. SWMBO and I were both in tears at the end (no spoilers...). Thank God it's dark in cinemas.
I suspect that were it not for the very highly hyped super budget films that came out around the same time, that nominations at least for that Oscar gent would have been forthcoming. A wonderful film, superb acting, direction and inspired writing.

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
'Shazam' with the grandson. Bloody excellent filum. Funny as, and entertaining in every way. Does not take itself seriously as others of it's genre do.

udipur

LE
Book Reviewer
Thanks to all those who recommended The Highwaymen. Excellent film.

The angle of not mythologising the venality of B&C made it much more palatable.

Watched "Highwaymen" yesterday and like the other reviews on here l thought it was excellent.
Most impressed by the way that Bonnie and Clyde were depicted, it must be difficult for a director not to show such a famous couple in any kind of positive or even glamorous light.
He got it just right.....they were sociopaths!
Yet another vote for "Highwaymen". Excellent movie.

No wonder Spielberg is fighting against recognition of streaming company made movies. He must be nervous with the quality of movies like this coming out going up against the drivel that Hollywood has been pushing out for years now.

"An Inspector Calls", the 1954 film version starring Alastair Sim as the titular politely voiced assassin of a cop kicking the pretentious upper-middle-class Birling family right in their prejudices after their joint murder-by-proxy of a young woman.

I particularly love the ending, which is rather twisty.

"An Inspector Calls", the 1954 film version starring Alastair Sim as the titular politely voiced assassin of a cop kicking the pretentious upper-middle-class Birling family right in their prejudices after their joint murder-by-proxy of a young woman.

I particularly love the ending, which is rather twisty.
I saw the stage version in London. It ran for several years. It hadn't lost it's particular appeal considering how the cinema version presented the conclusion.

I did my annual rewatch of Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World. Brilliant film in a respects; acting from all the cast, film making and limited but appropriate use of CGI.

Most here will have seen it so no rehash of the storyline but how many caught the reference to "The Scarlet Pimpernel" with the young middie who loses his arm? The character's name was Will Blakeney and his father, Sir Percy Blakeney, which was the name of the Scarlet Pimpernel.

I did my annual rewatch of Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World. Brilliant film in a respects; acting from all the cast, film making and limited but appropriate use of CGI.

Most here will have seen it so no rehash of the storyline but how many caught the reference to "The Scarlet Pimpernel" with the young middie who loses his arm? The character's name was Will Blakeney and his father, Sir Percy Blakeney, which was the name of the Scarlet Pimpernel.
If you get a chance, the 'Aubrey' books are excellent.

They Shall Not Grow Old 2018

Just incredible.

Peter Jackson (Yes that one) has just made his finest film. Done in conjunction with IWM this tells the soldier's story rather than the story of the war or the tactics. The restoration of the original film to something that looks like it was made only ten years ago in places is simply astounding.

Make no mistake, this is not just simple colouring of the original film, this is a whole new level.

Focus is on the western front and the British & Commonwealth solely.

11 out of 10

If you get the Blu-Ray version there is a half-hour documentary on how the film was restored.
I agree; incredible effort at restoring the footage. :thumleft: I wonder if Peter Jackson will be prevailed upon to freshen up some footage of the Yanks in due course?

As an aside, it seems like nothing has changed then in 100+ years. Panama was thirsty work.

Beer In France.JPG

Watched Mortal Instruments City of Bones over the weekend. It was on Ch4 or one of its sub-channels a while ago. Me & the mrs read the book of the same name a wee bit ago. A good film although as with the books aimed at a younger audience. Good cast & good effects & for the most part close to the book itself.