What film have you just watched?

Watched "Highwaymen" yesterday and like the other reviews on here l thought it was excellent.
Most impressed by the way that Bonnie and Clyde were depicted, it must be difficult for a director not to show such a famous couple in any kind of positive or even glamorous light.
He got it just right.....they were sociopaths!
There's been a lot of noise to exonerate Bonnie from any culpability of her part in the killings they undertook. It's claimed she was a Hybristophile.
I'm glad to see this film didn't go down that road and indeed portrayed the brutal execution of State troopers as her own work.

I did find the Celebrity status they had & the hysterical reaction to their dead bodies quite interesting and unnerving.

There's been a lot of noise to exonerate Bonnie from any culpability of her part in the killings they undertook. It's claimed she was a Hybristophile.
I'm glad to see this film didn't go down that road and indeed portrayed the brutal execution of State troopers as her own work.

I did find the Celebrity status they had & the hysterical reaction to their dead bodies quite interesting and unnerving.
According to a contemporary account Bonnie could 'handle and fire a BAR like a Marine'.
Quite a compliment considering she was what,4'11?

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Cheers for that, I had to look it up!
Indeed, I had to just to check the spelling. I should have left the link for other's perusal.
Funnily enough on the Wiki page it's also noted as "Bonnie & Clyde Syndrome."

John Wick 2.

A bit of brainless escapism very stylishly done. Keanu Reeves is a s wooden as Nelson's fleet but fair play to him as he puts everything into training for these roles.
By all accounts he's absolutely nails when it comes to the training for these roles. Woody Harrelson, after The Matrix came out, was teasing him saying the jap slapping was all done with special effects etc.

After a brief interlude outside Mr. Harrelson changed his opinion after having his arse handed to him.
3 is out in mid-May.

I thought his acting was a bit wooden too, however having seen him in other stuff he can do better and I think it is the comic book nature of the film's that call for that style of acting. Meh, gratuitous, well practiced violence, so who cares!

Indeed, I had to just to check the spelling. I should have left the link for other's perusal.
Funnily enough on the Wiki page it's also noted as "Bonnie & Clyde Syndrome."
So there is an official word for 'girls who get off on bad boy's'. Live and learn.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
The Dirt on Netflix.

It’s a dramatisation of Motley Crue’s rise to fame in the 80s.

I don’t really like Motley Crue, always thought of them as a bit of a joke rock band. Somewhere between Kiss and Spinal Tap, however the film is great. A full on warts and all, no holds barred, taste of 80s sex and drugs and rock and roll.

This is the film that Bohemian Rhapsody should’ve been.

They Shall Not Grow Old 2018

Just incredible.

Peter Jackson (Yes that one) has just made his finest film. Done in conjunction with IWM this tells the soldier's story rather than the story of the war or the tactics. The restoration of the original film to something that looks like it was made only ten years ago in places is simply astounding.

Make no mistake, this is not just simple colouring of the original film, this is a whole new level.

Focus is on the western front and the British & Commonwealth solely.

11 out of 10

If you get the Blu-Ray version there is a half-hour documentary on how the film was restored.

Red sparrow with Jennifer Lawrence, I had no clue what was going on I feel like the writer just wanted Jennifer Lawrence’s tits out as often as possible. No real plot and moments that make you take a step back and wonder what goes through people’s heads when they’re drunk. (Not complaining at the writers decision though)

Red sparrow with Jennifer Lawrence, I had no clue what was going on I feel like the writer just wanted Jennifer Lawrence’s tits out as often as possible. No real plot and moments that make you take a step back and wonder what goes through people’s heads when they’re drunk. (Not complaining at the writers decision though)
That skin transplant machine bit though.....faark.

Just wandered thro' the local Walmart bins and picked up " The Guns at Batasi" it was a shocker seeing Richard Attenborough as an infantry RSM in a newly independent African locale and all the old sweats in the WO's and Sgts Mess handling a minor insurrection......... I was ever so homesick

Triple Frontier - A Netflix film.

Not a bad film; Ben Affleck and Oberyn Martell (bloke from GoT cant remember his name) with Charlie Hunnam from Green street (the bloke who struggled to do a decent cockney accent). His american accent was pretty pump too to be fair.

Five ex-SF types decided to do a number on a Mexican drug dealer, kill him and rob him. it all goes swimmingly until they attempt to get away, then... well it goes wrong.

Recommended watch, but don't expect too much from it.
Sounds like an modern spin on High Risk, an early 80s colombia buddy heist movie, but with a few more "laughs"

Last edited:

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Triple Frontier , as reviewed above.

Not many laughs.

Spoiler alert - Our Gallant Lads make the fatal mistake of escaping in a non-American U.S helicopter - OH NOES !

( in this case a Mil -8 (?) I fink....meh)

1555053859427.png

qv Day After Tomorrow for a similar foreign thwocka bird spinning to ground scene.
(RAF Merlins freeze to death in mid-air)

Not so subtle Hollywood trope - fly American you dumb schmucks

Last edited:
I watched Glass the other night, it's the latest M Night Shyamalan film (and a follow up to Unbreakable and Split). I wasn't too fussed on Unbreakable and haven't seen Split but thought I would give it a go. Although it looked good (in cinematography terms) and James McAvoy's acting was excellent (he rarely disappoints in anything I have seen him in), it seemed overlong and didn't really hold my attention. In fact, looking back now I remember very little of what actually happened. The wife enjoyed it though and kept her quiet for a couple of hours.

I followed that up with Bad Times at the El Royale. It's sort of Tarrantino-lite but really enjoyed it nonetheless. It's another longish film (at 2 1/2 hrs) but the action and storyline kept us interested and I'd watch it again on a quiet Sunday night.

If Glass was a 5/10 film for me I would put Bad Times as a 7/10.

Just watched Breaking Glass on you tube thanks to finding Hazel O Connor on you tube again. I hadn't realised that I hadn't seen the film, 1981 was the year I joined up which explains why I didn't see it. I was kind of busy!
'Will you' is a track that still stops me in my tracks every time I hear it. Never got round to watching the film. I probably should, have just read the synopsis.

Musicians being manipulated by management Svengalis, eh? Nowt new under the sun.

Actually, while I'm lingering here, Stan and Ollie is a superb movie. Steve Coogan and John C. Reilly are both on top form. SWMBO and I were both in tears at the end (no spoilers...). Thank God it's dark in cinemas.

Watched Ready Player One the other night (directed by Spielberg.)
Loads of Brit actors in it: even bloody Finchy from The Office. Plus the excellent Ben Mendelsohn (Aussie bloke.)
Not for everyone I suppose but I thought it was great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk