What film have you just watched?

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
Another thumbs up from me. Saw it in 3D with Mrs Dummy last week, and we both agreed it was a good film. I thought the 3D enhanced many scenes, especially the space ones, although it did tend to render some of the scenes a bit too dark for my tired old eyes.

8.5/10
Saw what?

When Fury went through the list of places he's operated during the Cold War my daughter ever the wit said Belfast, I bet he really blended in there, it was like she was reading my mind.
He's lucky Liam Neeson didn't cross his path.

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Zulu, with my 10 year old grandson. First time for him, about 12th for me but I never tire of it.

And...? What did he think?

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
And...? What did he think?
He thought it was excellent. Loved the historical context, the superb cinematography, the brilliant direction and the multitude of bangsticks.

Being something of a gamer ( very high ranking on Fortnite) he is somewhat inured to the mass slaughter, and anyway, being pragmatic, knows that it is just a film.

Secret Agent:

When Gielgud asked 'Where is my cap?', is that what an officer calles his hat?

Cracking film and heartrending and directed by ... well, watch it!

The Mule. Directed by and starring Clint Eastwood.. Very much like Gran Torino in style, which is a good thing. It is the story of a work-away-from-home-waaaaay-too-much dad who just got old and in bad debt. A young Mexican gives him the number of someone who will "pay him to just drive ", and whereby becomes a drug mule. And then becomes a very successful drug mule, but at what cost? Solid performances from Larry Fishburn, sorry, Lawrence since he got all up himself and grand after the Matrix, Bradley Cooper and Michael Pena, and a bunch of Mexicans who aren't the usual stereotypical beaner types. Definitely worth a watch, as I had no idea what it was, who was in it or anything. Well impressed. Didn't realise Clints daughter was such a hottie either, til last night.....

Destroyer 2018. Nicole Kidman and a bunch of no names.

Kidman plays a down & out LAPD cop (like that's never been done before) who latches onto a murder case to try and get her good name back - or something. But what a dull awful character she is. She looks like a skank, dresses like a tramp, and acts with a perma stoner face. If there was a plot we lost it somewhere between the flashbacks and the whispering. I would be surprised if she raised her voice higher than 13 decibels as did many of the cast. WTF is wrong with directors these days NOBODY DISCUSSES A MURDER like this.. "That's a pretty gruesome murder her face has been slashed off completely and there is a stick up he ass". it's wrong and it sounds fffing stupid.

Anywho, in case you haven't guessed I hated it, I hated her character, I hated the plot, and I hated the whispering.
Oscar worthy my arrse.
View attachment 383796
Saw it yesterday and didn't think much of it as a film but bloody hell, what a make-up job on Kidman and there was a plot but with all the flash-backs one had to be concentrating closely to follow it.

Essentially the Kidman character was an undercover cop, along with another who became her lover, in a gang led by a psychotic individual who were conducting very violent armed robberies. She made a judgment call that turned out very badly for her lover and a number of innocent bank tellers. Some 16 years later she attends a murder scene and realises that the psychotic individual is back and she wants his arse on a platter and will let nothing get in her way. She knows it is all downhill for her but she wants her revenge before it all turns to dust.

Kidman's acting, I think, was superb. Her character is not one you like. She screwed up both the job and raising the daughter fathered by the lover who died because of her mistake. She knows it and there is not much she can do to turn that around. The rest of the cast are a bit two dimensional and the story is too long. However, it filled in the couple of hours that I had to fill in while waiting for the car to be serviced so it was ok for that.

Bumblebee. Better than the last two or three Transformers offerings.

Dragged Across Concrete. Tasty (and violent) heist flick, despite a geriatric Mel Gibson. Doesn't end like you might think it would.

White Boy Rick The (true) story of teenager Richard Wershe Jr., who became an undercover informant for the FBI during the 1980s and was ultimately arrested for drug-trafficking and sentenced to life in prison at 17 yrs old.

Or, white kid meets black kid life was good then life falls apart., either way it was a watchable social docudrama on the seedy side of life in Detroit

The Miami Showband Massacre. Netflix
I wasn't really aware of the background to this incident, I vaguely knew about a band being involved in an explosion.. but it makes for very uncomfortable viewing. Im sure a lot of you that were around at the time will find it of interest

Peterloo
A film showing the build up to and reasons for the massacre of 1819.
The workers wanting the repeal of the corn laws and a fairer voting system against the government who were intent on ensuring they stayed in their place.
A slow film with no action until the end but I still found it enjoyable and informative.

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Grandson sitting weekend; we watched 'Son of Paleface' 'Monty Python and the Holy Grail' and 'Road to Bali' ( I'm a Bob Hope fan). He guffawed out loud through all of them. For a 10 year old he has a mature sense of humour.

Grandson sitting weekend; we watched 'Son of Paleface' 'Monty Python and the Holy Grail' and 'Road to Bali' ( I'm a Bob Hope fan). He guffawed out loud through all of them. For a 10 year old he has a mature sense of humour.
Three good films but are you sure he wasn't just laughing at you grandpa :)

"A Cure for Wellness" on Netflix.

Dane Dehanne, not the worlds greatest actor to be fair, is tasked to retrieve some corporate top guy from a health spa in the Alps or face going to prison.
On arrival the place is somewhat creepy, the head doctor is Jason Isaacs so you know something's going to be amiss.

It plays out a bit like Shutter Island but once you discover what's really happening it descends into the worst kind of horror movie schlock.
Best avoided.