What film have you just watched?

Criminal. Kevin Costner, Gary Oldman, Tommy Lee Jones, Ryan Reynolds. Only a couple of years old this film is carried by Costner disappearing into a psycho low rent Bourne type of thing. Think Total Recall or Face/Off with violence and a lesser director.

The other three names have done better than this and director Ariel Vromen - The Iceman, The Angel - likes political and militant subjects. He's also making Rambo 5: Last Blood, for some reason. The Criminal plot is daft but kind of entertaining; KC might surprise you. The PC brigade and chattering journos hated it, so that's a plus, and it's free online.

TamH70

MIA
Society, the 1988 body horror film directed by Brian Yuzna and starring Billy Warlock. It was quite explicit with great gore effects and Devin DeVasquez gets her Playboy Playmate of the Month winning breasts out.

I must be desensitised to screen violence now though because I didn't flinch at the Shunt scene at the end as much as I did the first time I watched the film.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
A Netflix film, Polar. Great film, excellent script and a great cast of actors including Katheryn Winnick, Mads Mikkelsen and Matt Lucas (who actually plays his character very well). Well worth watching.
It was Matt Lucas, caught bits of it as background noise.
Ta.

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Yesterday Morning, with grandson; 'Lego Movie2' Very good indeed. I probably need to see it again to pick up on all the "in jokes" and references to things that adults would recognise.

NSP

LE
Crimes of Grindlewald. Meh!

Kirkz

LE
Crimes of Grindlewald. Meh!
I've tried several times to watch Fantastic beasts and where to find them and just can't get into it at all.
Having enjoyed the Harry Potter books and films I was looking forward to it but was really disappointed, it seems the second film in this series is just as dire, cheers for the heads up @NSP.

The Quiet One on Amazon. I must be losing my marbles, having been glued, fascinated and unbelieving, to this for its full, turgid length. I see in the 'notes' that it won 'best feature awards at the Birmingham Film Festival, the 8th Underground cinema festival in Dunlin (?) and the Five Continents film festival'. I've no idea what those festivals consider to be quality cinema, but this hideous rubbish is just deeply embarrassing for British cinema. Wholly and unutterably dreadful - the 'sound man' is hopefully OTR, having made the worst job of it that I've ever heard, too.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Alita : Battle Angel

As above.

James 'Avatar' Cameron's latest piece of wizardry, adapted from a Japanese Manga series of the same name,only better.

( The skinny frame and huge eyes are a manga trademark)

I have no doubt the Manga fans will be all sniffy about it, but I enjoyed it for what it was.

The actress who plays the 'hard-body' babe (Rosa Salazar) fits her black leather catsuit very nicely - but she must have spent majority of the shoot wearing a motion capture suit.

Christoph Waltz (Spectre, Inglourious Bastards etc) plays Doc Ido, the Cybersmith (and covert Hunter-Warrior) who fits her up with new arms and legs.

Anyone who remembers the old 'Rollerball' with James Caan will find a lot of familiar stuff. I'd like to think this was Cameron's homage to the earlier film. Or a straight rip, who knows.

Only what was done with flesh and blood stunt players in the 1970s is repeated here with jaw-dropping CGI.

Never forget, nobody is bigger than the Game ( and anyone with a British accent is axiomatically a Wrong 'Un )

Cameron has left the door open for a sequel. Let's hope he gets to finish the Avatar cycle first.

Four Mister Potato Heads*

*Essen scheisse Mattel

Last edited:

TamH70

MIA
Rocky IV.

Some people think that this is the worst of the series of films. Some people are therefore so full of shit that they squeak going around corners.

Alita : Battle Angel

As above.

James 'Avatar' Cameron's latest piece of wizardry, adapted from a Japanese Manga series of the same name,only better.

( The skinny frame and huge eyes are a manga trademark)

I have no doubt the Manga fans will be all sniffy about it, but I enjoyed it for what it was.

The actress who plays the 'hard-body' babe (Rose Delgado?) fits her black leather catsuit very nicely - but she must have spent majority of the shoot wearing a motion capture suit.

Christoph Weiss plays Doc Ido, the Bionic Smith (and covert Hunter-Warrior)

Anyone who remembers the old 'Rollerball' with James Caan will find a lot of familiar stuff.
Only what was done with flesh and blood stunt players in the 1970s is repeated here with jaw-dropping CGI.

Never forget, nobody is bigger than the Game ( and anyone with a British accent is axiomatically a Wrong 'Un )

Cameron has left the door open for a sequel. Let's hope he gets to finish the Avatar cycle first.

Four Mister Potato Heads*

*Essen scheisse Mattel
"Johnathan...Johnathan..."

It was released as an AA in the UK, you had to be 14 to see it at the cinema. A bunch of us snuck in to see it. Brilliant for its day. Even the synthed-up Bach soundtrack.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Alita Battle Angel theme is by Dua Lipa. They let her use the fantastic set visuals for the video:

The Mech is called a Centurion - the Factory's private security force.

NSP

LE
Mary Queen of Scots. Historical inaccuracies, anachronisms and gaps abound. And they got a Paddy to play the Scot and a 'roo-shagger to play Liz Mk1.

And I'd never realised that black people were anything other than slaves and servants, if anything, in the British Isles in the Elizabethan era, either!

NSP

LE
Space Battleship Yamato. Excitable Japanese kids save the world from aliens in a massive spaceship that looks like an airtight version of - you guessed it! - the IJN Yamato!

Mary Queen of Scots. Historical inaccuracies, anachronisms and gaps abound. And they got a Paddy to play the Scot and a 'roo-shagger to play Liz Mk1.

And I'd never realised that black people were anything other than slaves and servants, if anything, in the British Isles in the Elizabethan era, either!
Found this BBC article by Michael Wood from 2012.

Britain's first black community in Elizabethan London - "The reign of Elizabeth I saw the beginning of Britain's first black community. It's a fascinating story for modern Britons, writes historian Michael Wood."

"But the real change came in Elizabeth I's reign, when, through the records, we can pick up ordinary, working, black people, especially in London.
Shakespeare himself, a man fascinated by "the other", wrote several black parts - indeed, two of his greatest characters are black - and the fact that he put them into mainstream entertainment reflects the fact that they were a significant element in the population of London."

"Employed especially as domestic servants, but also as musicians, dancers and entertainers, their numbers ran to many hundreds, maybe even more.
And let's be clear - they were not slaves. In English law, it was not possible to be a slave in England (although that principle had to be re-stated in slave trade court cases in the late 18th Century, like the"Somersett" case of 1772)."
"In Elizabeth's reign, the black people of London were mostly free. Some indeed, both men and women, married native English people."

Britain's first black community

NSP

LE
Found this BBC article by Michael Wood from 2012.

Britain's first black community in Elizabethan London - "The reign of Elizabeth I saw the beginning of Britain's first black community. It's a fascinating story for modern Britons, writes historian Michael Wood."

"But the real change came in Elizabeth I's reign, when, through the records, we can pick up ordinary, working, black people, especially in London.
Shakespeare himself, a man fascinated by "the other", wrote several black parts - indeed, two of his greatest characters are black - and the fact that he put them into mainstream entertainment reflects the fact that they were a significant element in the population of London."

"Employed especially as domestic servants, but also as musicians, dancers and entertainers, their numbers ran to many hundreds, maybe even more.
And let's be clear - they were not slaves. In English law, it was not possible to be a slave in England (although that principle had to be re-stated in slave trade court cases in the late 18th Century, like the"Somersett" case of 1772)."
"In Elizabeth's reign, the black people of London were mostly free. Some indeed, both men and women, married native English people."

Britain's first black community
But were they in the nobility at court and in positions as monarchical envoys...?

Latest Threads