What film have you just watched?

Any chance this thread can stay on topic and be one of the few areas of the site that isn’t infested by personal spats and ad hominems?
Films, gents, films!

The BBC and BAFTA ‘love in’ with The Favourite and the three female actresses is a case in point. It’s an ok film, but hardly worthy of the praise being heaped on it. But, hey, the sisterhood are involved, so let’s get on board!

Bet you can guess why it gets so many "awesome" reviews.
Is it because I is black?
Awwwww, I am shocked, outraged, and offended on behalf of the people that will pretend to be shocked, outraged, and offended on behalf of the people in the film that won't really care !

Twas a shite film.

I Give It a Year

British RomCom (don't let that bit deter you) set around a couple who married on a whim but are completely not suited. Everything think they'll not last the year.

She's stunning and successful, he's a prat who fancies himself as a writer. Add in the usual American love interests (for export $$ of course) and Steven Merchant one-liners, and it is a surprisingly watchable film.

A few clichés here and there, a bit crude in language and hand-movements (my 14yr old daugfhter was watching with us :blush:, but some seriously LOL* moments.
Olivia Colman as the dysfunctional uninterested marriage guidance Councillor is worthy more a BAFTA than The Favourite

The Charades scene alone is worth the whole film for.
The guys in the sofa in the red jumper is a Doctor

Full trailer

* I couldn't be arsed to type it all out

Golden Circle was a huge disappointment. I'm pretty sure that it was a film that was developed during a brain storming meeting, and they put every 'cool' idea in. Instead of sticking to a reasonable central theme and mixing in some neat ideas and smart dialogue as per the first film, they just lurched from one massive set piece to the next. It was fvcking bollox. Too much effort was made to shock and wow the audience.
The climactic fight scene in the diner was pretty well-choreographed, though - although the choice of soundtrack might have been a clincher there.

What that movie did do, however, was reaffirm my view that Elton John should be headbutted so hard into next week that even Google couldn't find him.

Last edited:

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
'Spinning Man' with Pierce Brosnan and Guy Pearce. ( bit of a piercing theme there).

Story is about a college prof, Mike from Neighbours, and a missing teenage girl who may or may not be dead. Brosnan plays Gerry Adams as a detective, and there are many twists and turns in the plot. Very little gratuitous nudity or violence but not a bad filum.

udipur

LE
Book Reviewer
The BBC and BAFTA ‘love in’ with The Favourite and the three female actresses is a case in point. It’s an ok film, but hardly worthy of the praise being heaped on it. But, hey, the sisterhood are involved, so let’s get on board!
Personally, I thought it a bloody good film, the only downside was too much time on her acting and not enough on deliciously Machiavellian opportunities for games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The climactic fight scene in the diner was pretty well-choreographed, though - although the choice of soundtrack might have been a clincher there.

What that movie did do, however, was reaffirm my view that Elton John should be headbutted so hard into next week that even Google couldn't find him.
The first thing I did after seeing that film was download some The BossHoss songs. Cracking band and their version of Word Up was much better than the original.

Bumblebee, on buggerits recommendation.
Enjoyed it and I have hated all the other transformers films

Sherlock Holmes with Robert Downey Jr.

I've seen both of the films before but the first was much better than the sequel. Downey Jr is fantastic as Holmes and the always brilliant Mark Strong made the bad guy his own.

4.5/5

Trailer looks interesting for persons of a certain age who remember the original..:cool:

Aaawww yeah! Loved the original and the first one that Mr Jackson did and one of the best movie themes ever. Can’t wait.
By the way isn’t it about time we had a white actor playing Shaft or would that be cultural appropriation, you know like saying a black actor should play Bond? ;)

Watched Shot Caller on Netflix at the weekend. Stars Nicola Coster-Waldau, him of GoT fame. A bit far fetched maybe, but definitley worth a couple of hours of your time.

It tracks his journey from mild mannered banker through to LA gang boss by way of a mistake that costs his friends life.

:)

Overlord. Historical inaccuracies notwithstanding (US forces very much segregated at the time, as far as I know, and the obvious science bending plot device) this wasn't too bad an action romp. Forget any connection with real events, crack open a couple of tinnies and kick back to "Wolfenstein: The Movie." XBox controller in hand is entirely optional.

Robin Hood (the Cockney offering). Er, yeah - well. Ummmmm. Silly actioner that seems to use the premise of the original story merely as a, um, er, well - it doesn't; it just nicks a few vague ideas from the Costner tragedy and uses them as a wrapper for another formulaic action flick. Gisbourne is well-cast, though.

I managed to see Cal for the first time the other day after being shown on London Live channel. Didn't have a clue what to expect.
Skinny Catholic bloke gets in with the wrong crowd (only PIRA) and gets dicked for duty driver, and a nice bit of young Helen Mirren bush and tit to warm the frigid atmosphere somewhat,, the image of which has now burned into my TV screen after having it paused for so long.
Also surprised by the jaunty film score which, if memory serves me right, was used on the prehistoric BBC Holiday programmes of Cliff Michelmore and Judith Chalmers fame when showing wistful shots of tropical scenery and more tits. Didn't see that one coming.

Latest Threads