What film have you just watched?

Can't read 1100 previous posts, if this is outside thread protocols then shred your head .

Just got "We Shall Remember Them" on BBC catch-up, colorised and oral-history dubbed voices of actual WW1 troops with a little bit of CGI, right cleverly done to Disney/Pixar standards. It's not a fillum, per se, but it ought to be and it blew my socks off.

Next week, with the wife to Abigail's Party on stage, see how it compares to the TV version .....

Went to see Green Book yesterday,thought it was quite good.Bit repetitious maybe of problems a black musician would be sure to meet on tour of redneck country in '50's,hence his bouncer/driver as company.Enjoyed it.

Can't read 1100 previous posts, if this is outside thread protocols then shred your head .

Just got "We Shall Remember Them" on BBC catch-up, colorised and oral-history dubbed voices of actual WW1 troops with a little bit of CGI, right cleverly done to Disney/Pixar standards. It's not a fillum, per se, but it ought to be and it blew my socks off.

Next week, with the wife to Abigail's Party on stage, see how it compares to the TV version .....
Well within thread protocols and has been mentioned numerous times since it was first shown on the anniversary.
Everyone is of the same opinion that the film is amazingly done and extremely moving, it should be shown to everyone who's never seen any armed conflict.

While she plays an 18-year old in the film, Hailee Steinfeld is actually 22, and I find her cracking.
Lovely girl , far too young for some of us but if she ends up anywhere near like Holly Hunter did in 30 years time she'll be doing well. Even now HH has aged quite well tbf.

Green Book - ref the real Negro Motorist Green Book for black travellers - is worth a look; a minder drives an African-American pianist touring the 1960s South. Miserable critics have called the film "racially tone deaf"; they do that when films don't match their narrative.

Instead it's very well played with real musicians and real world scenes. Based on odd couple real mates Don Shirley and Tony Lip ( The Sopranos, Raging Bull, Goodfellas). If you ignore today's racial politics, it's just a film and for people who like music and (sort of) history. Edit, agree with @brownhat, just seen.

This one popped up in a post my oppo just sent to me.

(Apologies if already covered but not had time to search back and search function for T-34 only brings up the film about "White Tiger")

Very interesting effects

One for the tankies to have a good chat about?

We Were Soldiers on 5Spike

Never seen it before so settled in with a decent red and enjoyed a cracking film about that f*cked up mess of a war.

Interestingly this is an interview with Joe Galloway, the journalist seen in the movie and co-author of the book

Interview with Joe Galloway: Soldier's Reporter Speaks His Mind | HistoryNet
In the DVD extras there's a deleted scene alternate ending where Mel tels Gen. Westmoreland in no uncertain terms just where he's going wrong and if only he was allowed to this, that and the other. Apparently this "based" (quite loosely) on a real meeting between Moore and the general but Mel took the opportunity for a bit of a political-rant-dressed-as-movie-making - which is probably why it ended up on the cutting room floor.

Master and Commander. The representation of nationalities seemed biased against Irishmen as the vast majority of the cast was English when less than 88% of the royal navy was.
87%?

Vanishing on 7th Street. An interesting low budget horror with no horror. Thandie Newton keeps the interest. Good job because fcuk all else does. Like a bad Hammer film it's a turkey by any standards and it bombed, but the acting's okay and it's unintentionally comical. Looks like the makers didn't even know what the monsters were nor what the whole point of it was. The ending...like you had sex with a munter and didn't come.

Alita: Battle Angel.

Rather good actually and quite true to the graphic novel and manga.

Certainly better than some of the critics have it credit for and a pretty impressive job of the CGI.

Overlord, not bad the special effects are good and there is a storyline.
Think of it as a movie following the computer game Wolfensteins format.

"The Warriors", the 1979 gangs of New York classic directed by Walter Hill. It is also a rather spot on adaptation of Xenophon's Anabasis.

Hurricane.

Okay, it's no epic and could have been better, but it's not bad for killing a few hours. Plus, Stefanie Martini is exceptionally easy on the eye.

Also, reminds you how the gratitude of the British isn't exactly long lasting. As well as showing how naive we all were about the intentions of the Soviets towards newly stolen territory

I watched Dredd (again) on Channel 4 last night, after the missus headed off for an early night. Some fantastic visuals, loads of violence and a really scary Lena Headley. A brilliant performance too from Karl Urban’s helmet! Great stuff when you don’t want to invest too much grey matter to the watching experience - bloody adverts were annoying though!

I watched Dredd (again) on Channel 4 last night, after the missus headed off for an early night. Some fantastic visuals, loads of violence and a really scary Lena Headley. A brilliant performance too from Karl Urban’s helmet! Great stuff when you don’t want to invest too much grey matter to the watching experience - bloody adverts were annoying though!
Miles better than Stallone's effort.

Latest Threads