What film have you just watched?

Londo

LE
Hope you didn't have a wobbly before the end credits.
Re. FMJ, not a bad film, I just get annoyed with the background of crappy fake palms and a single Westland chopper.
Your good health Sir.
Ahhhhh ! The Beckton Gas Works scene in FMJ Watched that being filmed while at work , interesting couple of days .

Londo

LE
It probably has a mention on here but recently watched for a third time " The girl with all the gifts " Brilliant film if you like zombies a la 28 days later but its a film 100 times better . Apart from zombies it has British squaddies , SA80's with suppressors . GPMG in one brief scene and did I mention zombies ? and a very big twist in the tale . One of the best films Ive seen in recent years

They Shall Not Grow Old. Very very well done. Both technically and the use of the voiceovers . I just sat and stared at my tv for what seemed like ages after it finished. Intense.

Kirkz

LE
You've probably seen all the good bits then so save yourself some pain and watch paint dry.
I'll probably enjoy it as much as I did watching Bernie Winters and Leslie Crowther playing Bud Flanagan and Chesney Allen.

I'm sure that it was some kind of clever writing that passed me by but John Goodmans character was pretty shite and Steve Buscemi was not allowed to do anything and he is a great actor. It just seemed like some of the core film was left on the cutting room floor.

The ashes scene was brilliant though.
He's brilliant in Ghost World, and that's well away from his usual films

Buscemi certainly isn't typecast

NSP

LE
Fair enough. The only thing I liked Coogan in was Top Gear where he and Jezza compared an Aston Martin with a very whizzy Ferrari. His other stuff leaves me colder than year old primary school custard.
I thought The Parole Officer was quite good - but I think that may be more to do with the supporting cast. Especially the nice lady who plays the WPC love interest part...

I had exactly the same reaction as you the first time I tried to watch it, so I sacked it off about half way through. I gave it another go a few years later and I ended up really liking it.

Meanwhile on the topic of tonight's viewing, I have just finished watching "The Usual Suspects". Otherwise known as the movie where both the director and the guy who got the Oscar for Best Supporting Actor are or have been Suspected of the sexual abuse of minors. Sort of makes it a bit awkward to watch the film now, in addition to the problem of knowing who the bad guy is supposed to be as I've seen it quite a few times now.

Though if I ever end up in deep doo-doo with the US Immigration and Customs Enforcement people (or US Customs as it was at the time of the movie) across the Pond, I want the agent in charge of the investigation into my case to be as thick as the character "Dave Kujan" is in the film...
Chazz Palminteri/Kujan should stick to bone gangster roles. Spacey managed to sully a sizeable chunk of successful 90's dark cinema culture films, too. Like LA Confidential and Seven. It's a shame, and you're right. Personally he makes me sick.

Jack Nicholson's sixty-odd films are worth another look, as are Tommy Lee Jones's catalogue and Steve Buscemi's long list of character work. Not too much harm in all that, I hope. The Hollyweird factories are getting weirder too - all that politically correct action hero crap. Critics are not raving about the last of the Unbreakable trilogy - Glass. They fcuk up the remakes every time.

The ARRSE Studios need to start making movies before it's too late. I mean, all that talent going to waste.

Chazz Palminteri/Kujan should stick to bone gangster roles. Spacey managed to sully a sizeable chunk of successful 90's dark cinema culture films, too. Like LA Confidential and Seven. It's a shame, and you're right. Personally he makes me sick.

Jack Nicholson's sixty-odd films are worth another look, as are Tommy Lee Jones's catalogue and Steve Buscemi's long list of character work. Not too much harm in all that, I hope. The Hollyweird factories are getting weirder too - all that politically correct action hero crap. Critics are not raving about the last of the Unbreakable trilogy - Glass. They fcuk up the remakes every time.

The ARRSE Studios need to start making movies before it's too late. I mean, all that talent going to waste.
I think the really nasty thing about Spacey as how he tried to use his sexuality as a mitigating factor.

It's like he was playing into the 1950's playbook about how poofs are all really kiddy fiddlers who assault underage targets

That was really low

TamH70

MIA
Just finished watching the last decent pre-Daniel Craig era Bond film, "Tomorrow Never Dies". Quite entertaining, with some decent acting from the principals. Plus the "HALO" jump which didn't seem to require the crew of the plane needing to take any special care, but still looks pretty cool. Today I learned that it was the first major Hollywood film in history to be fully funded by all its product placement - an omen of darker things to come.

Offa

War Hero
Le Silence de la Mer (2004) on YouTube, English sub-titles. France 1941, German officer billeted with French grandfather and adult grand-daughter. Understated story of occupation without usual stereotypes; perhaps it really was more like this. Not very warry but well watchable.

BigT

LE
It probably has a mention on here but recently watched for a third time " The girl with all the gifts " Brilliant film if you like zombies a la 28 days later but its a film 100 times better . Apart from zombies it has British squaddies , SA80's with suppressors . GPMG in one brief scene and did I mention zombies ? and a very big twist in the tale . One of the best films Ive seen in recent years
I saw it on it's cinema release and really enjoyed it, it gave the zombie genre a new twist. The screening was followed by a Q&A with the author of the book Mike Carey who wrote for 2000 AD and who has also written some top notch comics like Hellblazer, Lucifer and X Men.

arfah

LE
Don’t seem to be able to dish out any likeys?

I may have to check this out, cheers.

I saw it on it's cinema release and really enjoyed it, it gave the zombie genre a new twist. The screening was followed by a Q&A with the author of the book Mike Carey who wrote for 2000 AD and who has also written some top notch comics like Hellblazer, Lucifer and X Men.
I'd give you a like but this will have to do....

FHA

LE
And it has Paddy Considine being typically great. Plus, I loved how it reminded me of the John Wyndham books I read as a lad.
Same as 28 Days was like a James Herbert novel come to life (no zombie puns intended.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

philc

LE
A little while back someone mentioned that there was a movie coming out about female bodyguard. I got a notification on Netflix that it is premiering on 18th January, trailer here

Close | Netflix Official Site
I would give you an informative, but its vanished?

Any way to Colette, did not think I would enjoy this at all, one for the wife, all a bit dull. But no enjoyed it, well filmed, interesting, great scenery etc so worth the time.

Colette (2018) - IMDb

Latest Threads