What film have you just watched?

Yes, it was interesting to see how much support he would get if he actually turned up again. It shows that kind of mentality is not far below the surface in the German and to a lesser extent Pan-european mind. In does take something like Merkles invitation to all and sundry to give it legs though.
There were Hitlerites in Germany just a few years ago and we Brits were not popular in some quarters.

After the post-wall influx and refugees in the 1990s, and the trouble they caused, Berlin's invite to refugees or whatever they were was a little surprising. It's amazing what state control and stage management can do, but they've been lucky.

As for films, we need some new ones and to chuck a lot out at our place. Nothing really appeals at the local pictures, so maybe some old classics and silents are the answer.

TamH70

MIA
Volcano, with Tommy Lee Jones, Anne Heche and Don Cheadle. Quite entertaining as long as you switch off your science knowledge.

Kirkz

LE
There were Hitlerites in Germany just a few years ago and we Brits were not popular in some quarters.

After the post-wall influx and refugees in the 1990s, and the trouble they caused, Berlin's invite to refugees or whatever they were was a little surprising. It's amazing what state control and stage management can do, but they've been lucky.

As for films, we need some new ones and to chuck a lot out at our place. Nothing really appeals at the local pictures, so maybe some old classics and silents are the answer.
You can't go wrong with Laurel & Hardy, Buster Keaton or Harold Lloyd, imho.

You can't go wrong with Laurel & Hardy, Buster Keaton or Harold Lloyd, imho.
Aye you're right. Harry Langdon, Chaplin, and a few favourite supporting players. Fortunately there's a goldmine on a well-known site and on disk. There are biographies, interviews, and panel show appearances, on film. 'Making of' programmes (before lazy and unconvincing CGI), and plenty of material from their latter years.

Aiui, more old films will enter the public domain in 2020, but understanding the copyright bolleaux does your head in.

Kirkz

LE
Aye you're right. Harry Langdon, Chaplin, and a few favourite supporting players. Fortunately there's a goldmine on a well-known site and on disk. There are biographies, interviews, and panel show appearances, on film. 'Making of' programmes (before lazy and unconvincing CGI), and plenty of material from their latter years.

Aiui, more old films will enter the public domain in 2020, but understanding the copyright bolleaux does your head in.
I bought this from a car boot sale a few months ago.

20190106_191641-678x544.jpg
20190106_191659-727x616.jpg

20190106_191718-715x620.jpg

Cost me £2. Bargain.

View attachment 370240View attachment 370241
View attachment 370242
Cost me £2. Bargain.
That really is a bargain . March of the Wooden Soldiers (1934) was probably the most dangerous film they made (out of about 100 or so), considering the injuries. Enjoy.

You've got Our Gang Follies on there, taking the mick out of the Hollywood musicals. Our Gang and the Little Rascals were in the same company as Laurel and Hardy at Hal Roach's 'Laugh Factory' studios in Culver City. Much of the studio orchestra's music at the time can be heard across Roach's various teams and productions.

Kirkz

LE
That really is a bargain . March of the Wooden Soldiers (1934) was probably the most dangerous film they made (out of about 100 or so), considering the injuries. Enjoy.

You've got Our Gang Follies on there, taking the mick out of the Hollywood musicals. Our Gang and the Little Rascals were in the same company as Laurel and Hardy at Hal Roach's 'Laugh Factory' studios in Culver City. Much of the studio orchestra's music at the time can be heard across Roach's various teams and productions.
It's a great set of films and I could watch them again and again without ever getting fed up of them (can't say that about many modern films) plus it looks great sat on my shelf too.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Volcano, with Tommy Lee Jones, Anne Heche and Don Cheadle. Quite entertaining as long as you switch off your science knowledge.
Speaking of switching off, was watching The Blues Brothers last night, all the way through the first half was "why", "how" and "no way"from the OH, in the end I just told to either shut up and just watch or go to bed, luckily she took the 2nd option and I'm.still here to tell the tale.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Just noticed, having seen The Eagle Has Landed a few times , a BPA stalwart of the 60's 70's & 80's.

In the emplaning scene at the German mounting airfield, Lofty Thomas is stood to attention by the aircraft door. Not a lot of people know that.
On now, BBC4.....ooh, Jenny Agutter as a 19 year old...be still my beating heart..

Enduring Donald Sutherland's ridiculous Irish accent as swaggering anti-hero Liam Devlin.

exspy

LE
Cost me £2. Bargain.
Flying Deuces was the one where they joined the Foreign Legion. A few minutes of good contemporary footage at the beginning and the end of the film. Plus the playing of Le Boudin.

Cheers,
Dan.

Kirkz

LE
Flying Deuces was the one where they joined the Foreign Legion. A few minutes of good contemporary footage at the beginning and the end of the film. Plus the playing of Le Boudin.

Cheers,
Dan.
It also gave rise to this little gem from youtube, I've posted it before but it's still worth another outing.

Dunkirk, can't see what all the plaudits were for tbh. Seems like 'Allo 'Allo on steroids.

NSP

LE
Dunkirk, can't see what all the plaudits were for tbh. Seems like 'Allo 'Allo on steroids.

That's "Operation Dunkirk;" straight-to-DVD tosh made on a budget and full of technical howlers, intended to try and reap a profit riding on the coattails of the actual cinematic-release effort.

The Lady Vanishes - Alfred Hitchcock - 1938
Missed first third or so of the film but got the gist of it. I intend to watch the rest in due course.
Lots of twists and turns. The film seems to be forewarning of dire events in Europe soon after, although a little hopeful?
I was surprised it got a bit dusty near the end thanks to Dame May Whitty.

The film is on YouTube:
Black and white films are often underestimated and overlooked.

Last edited:
Speaking of switching off, was watching The Blues Brothers last night, all the way through the first half was "why", "how" and "no way"from the OH, in the end I just told to either shut up and just watch or go to bed, luckily she took the 2nd option and I'm.still here to tell the tale.
Did you try using the line "But you like musicals"

That usually shuts them up about it

For the past two days this film has been the subject of constant mainstream news stories over here. Apparently it's a social media phenomenon even though people who've seen it haven't liked it. I don't get it.

Sometimes it's good to be old.

Cheers,
Dan.
That's the thing with Netflex, their viewing figures are only audited by Netflix so we have no way of knowing if it even is their most popular film or did they just decide to big this one up at random

It sounds very generic from the plot, is it worth a punt?

That's the thing with Netflex, their viewing figures are only audited by Netflix so we have no way of knowing if it even is their most popular film or did they just decide to big this one up at random

No. The Guardian is still writing columns on it today; the PR company is in fifth gear and revving hard.

sunny james

Old-Salt

Suck it and see.
We liked it though and it's not our usual fare.

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
It also gave rise to this little gem from youtube, I've posted it before but it's still worth another outing.

I have posted on here - well, in the reviews section - of a book called 'He' by John Connolly. It's essentially Stan Laurel musing and reminiscing in his apartment in California about his time with Mack Sennet and his abiding love for Oliver Hardy. It is probably one of the best books I have ever read, despite being written in a peculiar style, and therefore I am so looking forward to the new film which comes out soon about the last British tour of the two. This was commented on in the book. I have to say that having seen the trailers, the two actors Coogan and John. C. Riley look very good as our heroes.,

Latest Threads