What film have you just watched?

exspy

LE
'Bird Box' on Netflix. Appalling rubbish. Don't.
For the past two days this film has been the subject of constant mainstream news stories over here. Apparently it's a social media phenomenon even though people who've seen it haven't liked it. I don't get it.

Sometimes it's good to be old.

Cheers,
Dan.

exspy

LE
Just seen the Favourite, I enjoyed it, Doris tried hard to like it too but she is a bit homophobic which is a shame really. I came away agreeing with Milo Yiannapoulis for the first time......lesbians are cnuts.
Unless it is the gay for pay lipstick variety on't wankernet.
So, between Olivia Colman, Emma Stone and Rachel Weisz, who gets the most naked artistic?

Cheers,
Dan.

I watched Trollhunter again. It’s still great fun. I’ve no doubt that Hollywood will remake it and wreck it, prob with the above mentioned Ferrell as the Hunter.
Nah, it'll have a black female lesbian tramping around the Great Rocky Mountains looking for Trolls with Will Ferrell as the comedy relief as a racist old guy living in a cabin somewhere.

Just watched that on Netflix. Mockumentory style like Borat. Laugh out loud funny in parts but then you see what the makers are doing, filming and editing people with concerns about immigration - Pergida etc and framing them as potential concentration camp guards. Disappointing in the end.
It had it's moments. . . Like the studio audience (who didn't know what was going on) for Herr Hitler's first TV appearance. They laughed, he stared, he talked briefly about the economic and social problems which needed change (being a ripoff of speeches from the 20s / 30s) and the slow horror as the pennies started to drop . . . interesting.

sunny james

Old-Salt
It had it's moments. . . Like the studio audience (who didn't know what was going on) for Herr Hitler's first TV appearance. They laughed, he stared, he talked briefly about the economic and social problems which needed change (being a ripoff of speeches from the 20s / 30s) and the slow horror as the pennies started to drop . . . interesting.
Yes, it was interesting to see how much support he would get if he actually turned up again. It shows that kind of mentality is not far below the surface in the German and to a lesser extent Pan-european mind. In does take something like Merkles invitation to all and sundry to give it legs though.

So, between Olivia Colman, Emma Stone and Rachel Weisz, who gets the most naked artistic?

Cheers,
Dan.
You get a peek at (one of) Emma's tits.

Schmoe

War Hero
Waterloo on TCM now, just tuned in for the battle scenes.

Almost like oil paintings in some of its scenes.

If you can ignore some of the cliches by Plummer and Steiger, a great piece of cinematography.

BigT

LE
for me the use of M41 Walker Bulldogs by the USMC was the annoying thing. By that time only the ARVN had them in South Vietnam, it was never a USMC vehicle
Apparently the M41's were gifted to Kubrick by a Belgian General who was a fan of his work but after filming Kubrick who was a life long pacifist had to flog them on.

BigT

LE
Waterloo on TCM now, just tuned in for the battle scenes.

Almost like oil paintings in some of its scenes.

If you can ignore some of the cliches by Plummer and Steiger, a great piece of cinematography.
Waterloo seems to have been on rotation on TCM for months, funny how in the middle of the cold war they managed to get all those Russian soldiers to dash about in Napoleonic uniforms, these days the battle scenes would all be done with CGI in Korea.

Christopher Robin
Who is now grown up and over worked, played by Ewan MacGregor with (the the nicely top heavy) Hayley Attwell as his wife.
He’s so over worked he forgets his childhood and neglects his young daughter, Madeline. Unsurprisingly, all is good in the end though.
The casting I thought was a bit crap. His daughter didn’t play the part very well and looking at the credits, her sir name (Carmichael) appeared several times, so a bit of nepotism there I think, and also they obviously tried too hard cramming in as many non-whiteys as they could for a film set in the late 1940s just to be ‘on message’.
The real stars though were Winnie the Pooh, Piglet and the rest who would be just as you would expect if stuffed toys could come alive. I’m still trying to work out if it was CGI, puppets, a mix of both or they were actually real, they were that good.
Some nice touches in the film too. Pooh and Tigger’s voices are the familiar ones and they actually used the Ashdown Forest and Pippingford Park for filming.

"Bird Box" on Netflix, the film everyone is rushing to see . . . . . . and probably regretting it.

For some reason this creature/being/presence turns up and if you see it you want to kill yourself.
Unless of course you're a psychopath and then you think it's beautiful and everyone should see it.

Utter pump that borrows from several similar films of it's type, most notably "The Happening" which was bad enough in itself & it boggles the mind why anyone would produce anything similar.
It was an awful film.

Heads up for tonight, BBC2 at 22.50
What We Did On Our Holiday

Great film
Seconded - brilliant! It was written by the same team that wrote the TV series Outnumbered and again featured very talented young actors. The adult cast was top notch too - particularly Billy Connolly as the Grandad.
We really enjoyed the film and it has inspired us to get up to the Western Highlands this year to visit Gaireloch Beach.

Kirkz

LE
Seconded - brilliant! It was written by the same team that wrote the TV series Outnumbered and again featured very talented young actors. The adult cast was top notch too - particularly Billy Connolly as the Grandad.
We really enjoyed the film and it has inspired us to get up to the Western Highlands this year to visit Gaireloch Beach.
Went there last year, it's a stunning place to visit especially out of season when it's a bit quieter.

Dead in a week (or your money back).

A pointless film but enjoyable nonetheless.

As an aside (same theme as the film) , there was gunfire in the parking lot of a pub we go to late Friday night. Reported in the news Sat am, the daughter calls; "Mom, were you and dad in the pub last night? You are OK right ?" The wife replies "Yeah, don't worry my gun jammed so your dad is OK as well !" I swear I heard laughter on the phone - gits !!

Last edited:
It inspired me to go there, I wasn't disappointed.

In which we serve -- on now.

Noel Coward - very stiff upper lip

Latest Threads